Please help me. I really dislike breastfeeding. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 02-25-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't want to use the word "hate". But that is sort of what I'm feeling, I guess. I did do a search on here and so I know I'm not the only one who has felt this way but most of the posts were for older kiddos or tandem or pregnant nursing...that's not us. greensad.gif DD is 2 weeks old today. I really don't mind nursing her during the daytime...I guess. It's not like I have other things to do and DH is here and talks to me.

But at night? Oh.My.Goodness I wake up and pray that she sleeps longer so that I don't have to nurse her. (Oh, and I'm not sleep deprived really I usually wake up before she does and have been sleeping in 3-4 hour spurts since month 8 of pregnancy so I'm habituated.) It makes me out of my mind to just sit there in the lamplight having her suck, fall asleep, me stimulate her awake, she sucks, fall asleeps, and all the while I'm worrying that she isn't getting enough milk, that she isn't gaining enough weight, that she is starving, that I'm a horrible mother, that DH is snoring and I really need some company. And time passes so slowly. I kid you not...1 minute feels like 20. Yes, I do watch the clock always when she nurses to track how long she has been on (not that I'm stopping her after a set period of time because she lost so much weight I need to make sure she nurses at least 170 minutes (she takes in about 1oz in 10 minutes and needs about 17 ounces in 24 hours according to the LC)) and it helps me to self talk that it hasn't been 20 minutes but only 1 and to calm down and relax. It never happens though.

So, what do you do at night? I cannot "do" anything while I nurse because she moves out of "good" positioning and pops on and off so needs to be relatched. Plus I can barely feel if she is actually getting any milk...I cannot feel let down...I guess I don't really respond to oxytocin very much (maybe that's why I didn't dilate?) because I don't really get the relax/happy thing that I did on occasion when I would pump trying to get labor going. It is awful.

Please don't get me wrong. I love my daughter. But sitting staring at her for 20-40 minutes? Not really my cup of nog. A minute? Sure! She is wonderful and beautiful.

I'm actually having thoughts at night that formula would be better. No logically, I don't believe that for one second. I just feel so awful and desperate...

and yes, I have placenta pills and tincture that I'm taking. I don't think this is PPD...but I've never done this before. Is this normal? Is this my normal hate being awake at night thing? ACK!

Can't anything about this be easy? Okay, that's an exageration...EC is going really well and DH and I love cosleeping...

I'm going to stop rambling now... orngbiggrin.gif Thank you for any help/advice/tips/commiseration...

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#2 of 33 Old 02-25-2011, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Jenne, do you have a laptop?  When DD was tiny, I watched so much of How I Met Your Mother on Hulu while nursing the baby back down, that her dad could sometimes put her to sleep by playing the theme song.  Conveniently, a commercial-free ep of a sitcom (available on Netflix instant streaming!) is 22 minutes long - almost exactly your minimum for nursing the baby.

If you can hold the baby with one hand, you can surf the net with the other.  Or read, particularly if you have an eBook reader to play with (no holding the book open). 

#3 of 33 Old 02-25-2011, 01:34 PM

I watched TV at night while we got the hang of nursing.  I needed to really wake up and have something else to focus on so I didn't go crazy.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 33 Old 02-25-2011, 01:47 PM

I remember feeling that way with my first.  My mom had convinced me I had to sit up in the chair with the light on to nurse.  I was bored to tears and uncomfortable.  I know it takes a bit of time to get the hang of it, but you need to make a goal of learning how to nurse lying down.  Not only will this help you to nurse successfully at night in bed, but you can also nurse in front of the TV, etc.  Careful doing it on the sofa when they are tiny, but it does get better.  I did learn how to nak (nurse at keyboard) and spent much of my time on message boards and such.  You will be amazed at how much you can do with one hand!!  :)  It does get better, though.

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#5 of 33 Old 02-25-2011, 01:55 PM

grouphug.gif Congratulations mama!

The fist few months are by far the hardest! It is all about survival right now but it will get better! Try and be as patient and peaceful as possible right now. If there is any help take it!

As far as night goes, if she is falling back into a deep sleep, I wouldn't wake her to eat. She is probably eating like every hour or less during the day anyway right? I never stayed awake while nursing. I would just lay with her and latch her on and go to sleep. If she fell off and wanted more she let me know. I made sure we had no blankets in the bed. I actually had a snuggie that I cut the boobs out of to keep me warm. I didn't even sleep with a pillow at that age.

My DD was wicked colic/high needs and literally latched all day and night, I have so BTDT and felt like I was going to just drop dead! I love nursing her now but man was it hard in the beginning!

Just hang in there and try to get as much support as possible. Sleep when she sleeps. Take a nice hot bath to relieve stress. Maybe burn some lavender oil or a candle. Indulge in a little chocolate. Do something for yourself even if it's quick.

This too shall pass!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#6 of 33 Old 02-25-2011, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Have you tried nursing while side-lying in bed? That is the only thing that saved my sanity. Dh was against bedsharing at first so we had a Arms Reach but I had to pick the baby up to nurse him and then put him back in it and this after a 36-hour labor. Within two days I felt like I was going to have a nervous breakdown. 3rd night I ignored dh's request and just laid him in the bed with us to nurse and get to sleep and it was so much better. It does get easier, but even after 4 other babies the newborn period was still an adjustment with #5. Give yourself some time. Make sure you are getting plenty of rest and fluids during the day.

#7 of 33 Old 02-25-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

Jenne, do you have a laptop? 

yeahthat.gif

I bought a portable dvd player for this.

hug2.gif

#8 of 33 Old 02-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Oh, mama, I remember feeling just like this!  I was 17 when ds1 was born and when I nighttime-parented him I was all alone and felt so isolated and depressed.  It killed me to do the over-nights bc I had to turn on the lights and sit up (I started co-sleeping when ds was about 6 or 8 wks old) and it took like 20 tries to get the latch right bc I had like J cup boobs.  Ds was tongue-tied and sleepy and easily distracted and it just sucked SO BAD!

I would venture to say that this is perhaps not a simple BF issue.  Is it probable that you would still squirm in your chair while holding a bottle?  I'm thinking you would.  Barring a situation where the actual physical sensation of nursing was intolerable to you, and that is why you fell you "hate" BFing, I really think it's a matter of you having some baby blues.  Did you have a csec, mama?  Can you talk to your OB/MW/LC?  Is there anyone IRL that you could talk to?

As a mama who BF 2 kiddos through the night for 24 mos each, I can promise you that it gets better in time.  They do STTN eventually, and before you know it, you will learn how to nurse like this!  LOL  J/K, but you get the idea.

Bring back the old MDC
#9 of 33 Old 02-25-2011, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My advice:

1. Learn to nurse lying down and co-sleep.

2. Stop watching the clock during nighttime feeds. Watch the diapers to know she's getting enough overall. Don't wake her back up if she falls asleep nursing at night. She'll wake again when she wants to nurse again; if you're in bed with her it won't matter if she feeds every 30 min. for 5 or every 2 hours for 20 min. Let her regulate it.

3. TV can be your friend. A TV or laptop with hulu and headphones so you don't wake your DH, and until you get the hang of dozing while she nurses (which you will as her latch improves!), you can keep yourself entertained while your hands are busy w/ baby.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#10 of 33 Old 02-25-2011, 05:50 PM

Back for more support and encouragement (hang in there! it will get easier!) and also to ask about your 170 minutes/24 hour breastfeeding. I was under the  impression that milk intake can vary greatly depending on the time of day, so that one measured feed would not give a good picture of, say, a 24 hour period.

There are many moms here who have had a sleepy newborn, and have lots of ideas on how to encourage baby to keep nursing/not fall asleep until full and ways to get more milk into baby per feed. For example, skin-to-skin and breast compressions (see http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=34:4-day-old-after-tongue-tie-with-compressions&catid=6:video-clips&Itemid=13) both really helped me with my DS, as did rubbing to bottom of his feet. He lost a LOT of weight after he was born, but gained back to his birthweight by day 15 of life and is still going strong at 10 months old now.

For my mental health, co-sleeping was a must, as was side lying nursing. And the DVD player and many many many DVDs.

How is her weight gain?

#11 of 33 Old 02-25-2011, 06:33 PM

Haven't read the posts....

My parents got me a Kindle and a book light when DD2 was born.  It was a lifesaver.  I can read a ton when DD nurses at night, hold it with one hand, and it does not bother her (or my DH).  Also, if I finish one book, there are hundreds of free books saved on my K for me to choose from to read next.  It is my perfect solution to nighttime nursing crazies.

If you like to read, especially in the quiet of the night, you might want to consider a Kindle e-reader. 

When DD1 was around, I used to finish a book, but a new book would be out of reach while I was nursing, and I would sit and stew and feel alot like you did in your post. 

Also, with a two week old, your hormones are still going nutso, and it's a hard time for anyone.  Give yourself a break.  It's ok to hate breastfeeding, especially at 3:00 am.  Also, hopefully your LO's latch will improve, or at least improve enough to let you do stuff one-handed.

~maddymama

#12 of 33 Old 02-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Before S was sttn, my hubs would set our DVR to tape all my shows. Watching Chuck at 3am was a lifesaver for me.

Other than that, no real ideas but you are not alone, mama. Those early weeks are hell, no matter what way you slice it. *hugs*

B + J = A (4/01), E (6/03), and S (11/10)
Our family selectivevax.gifwinner.jpgslinggirl.gif and fambedsingle1.gif while DH works nights.
#13 of 33 Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 AM

It gets so much better and so much easier with time! Two weeks is rough.

You don't have to listen to me if you don't want to, but if you could stop watching the clock (as a PP said, if nothing else, for the nighttime feedings) I think it would help a lot. I was the same way at first, and I just could not concentrate on what I was doing (nursing, pumping) or it would drive me batty. I did a lot of talking to DH and surfing the web (reading posts on Mothering.com!) and I swear, my nursing chair is by a bookshelf and I've re-read every book I can reach.

Side-lying nursing is a life saver. You can practice during the day (for naps or just whenever) when you can see everything, and then it gets easier at night.

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#14 of 33 Old 02-26-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your help and support! I don't yet feel comfortable trying side lying nursing because of my large, soft breasts. We had a breathing issue a week ago during the daytime in the cradle hold and I just don't feel safe trying side lying while tired at night. That is on the plan for a month or so down the road when she has more strength and head control. orngbiggrin.gif Something wonderful to look forward to!

Last night was much better! smile.gif Thank goodness! orngbiggrin.gif Instead of getting her up every 2-3 hours to nurse I let her sleep until she was stirring and then popped her on. It came out to every 2-3 hours anyway but was responding to her cue rather than my fretting. I did have to wake DH up a couple times to ask him when she nursed last. But that is okay! I only stimulated her once each session to continue nursing. The second time I put her back down to sleep and went back to sleep myself. Much, much better then trying for 5-10 minutes to get her to keep eating. I had intended to have DH on netflix duty (I started watching the trash tv of "The Secret Life of the American Teen" while on bedrest and thought that would make for a passable 20-30 minutes) but forgot until the 1:30am session and didn't want to wake him yet.

I think just being able to say that I'm not in love with nursing was freeing. Thanks for allowing me the space to do that and for the really helpful tips, empathy, and survival stories!!!

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#15 of 33 Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Another big boobies mama here. Mine puddle into flat pancakes when I lay down to nurse lol.gif. What works for me is supporting my breast with my hand and using my thumb to keep my breast tissue from covering baby's face. Also, a rolled up small towel or receiving blanket under them can help too. In the very beginning it is hard because their heads are so tiny but if you practice you will make it work. It took me awhile to get good at it.

I just want you to know that you're not alone. I'm not a fan of the first 6 weeks of nursing. Hormones are still going crazy and even if you think you're getting decent sleep, your body is still going through a lot of healing and changes, physically and emotionally. Definitely find some stuff to keep yourself entertained like books/kindle, DVDs, laptop, whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post

Thank you all so much for your help and support! I don't yet feel comfortable trying side lying nursing because of my large, soft breasts.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#16 of 33 Old 02-26-2011, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Your update makes me so happy!  This is what it's all about, right?  Mamas helping mamas to find their way, it's awesome.  Best wishes to you!

Bring back the old MDC
#17 of 33 Old 02-26-2011, 02:36 PM

Yay for the happy update! smile.gif

And it's totally okay to hate breastfeeding. It's totally okay to feel however you feel. I know that IRL, though, I would hesitate to say things like that because I knew that people would just say, "well, quit, then."

But after a rough start (for us) it really has been wonderful.

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#18 of 33 Old 02-26-2011, 07:30 PM

i think it is a big deal for us to say outloud that we dont like to breastfeed right now, i am having hard time too, and it is the only thing in all this crazy first time mothering that is making me feel like shit.

hang in there, we'll get thru this. bad tv on my ipad, and and a app to track feeding and diapers have both been great tools for me

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#19 of 33 Old 03-02-2011, 04:57 PM

Podcasts too... but it will get better I promise. Don't torture yourself with weight gains either. If she's happy and having plenty of wet nappies, then let her sleep when she wants to sleep.You'll all feel better for it.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#20 of 33 Old 03-02-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

i think it is a big deal for us to say outloud that we dont like to breastfeed right now, i am having hard time too, and it is the only thing in all this crazy first time mothering that is making me feel like shit.

hang in there, we'll get thru this. bad tv on my ipad, and and a app to track feeding and diapers have both been great tools for me

Yep, made me feel the same way, especially when everyone around me was talking about how wonderful, bonding, etc. it was.  It wasn't bonding for me in the beginning.  At all.

#21 of 33 Old 03-02-2011, 05:38 PM

At a recent LLL meeting a mom said she had books dowloaded to her IPOD ...(i hope i have that right ...i still like to listen to records)  and i know my son downloads comedians to his ipod ....i know the feeling of not being able to move your hands!  I am a plus sized mama and i carry most of it in my bra.  I think my wrists cramping up was the worst thing about nursing in the beginning!  i still need to put a hand underneath a breast while nursing - so i cant do anything 'productive'  - but i have figured out how to use the remote control.  I worked very hard on learning to nurse lying down - but i seem to get a bad latch every time and wake up with abrasions  - so for the most part i nurse sitting upright.  

Also remember as baby gets bigger they can eat in like 5 - 10 minutes!   - your update sounded great - keep checking in and letting us know your doing!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#22 of 33 Old 03-03-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post

My advice:

1. Learn to nurse lying down and co-sleep.

THIS!!!! I pretty much only nurse lying on my side or propped up on my elbow because it is sooo much more comfortable than the other positions. When baby gets up at night I pup him on his side, push a pillow behind his back to keep him on his side, and pop my boob in his mouth. When he's done I either remove the pillow from his back so he sleeps on his back, and he sleeps with me, or I put him in his swing (the only other place he'll sleep beside my bed lol). Usually he just sleeps in my bed with me. Right now dh is still sleeping on the couch so this works (I worry about dh rolling over him if he was in bed with us... guess we need a bigger bed!). If I had to ge tup every time he wanted to nurse, and sit up and prop myself with pillows etc, yeah I would be miserable too!!

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#23 of 33 Old 03-03-2011, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

I would venture to say that this is perhaps not a simple BF issue.  Is it probable that you would still squirm in your chair while holding a bottle?  I'm thinking you would.  Barring a situation where the actual physical sensation of nursing was intolerable to you, and that is why you fell you "hate" BFing, I really think it's a matter of you having some baby blues. 

I would agree with maybe it's not entirely a BF-ing issue. I know that while my LO is nursing I loved looking at her and felt really great but I had MASSIVE oversupply and letdown that would spray all over and pretty much drown her and it took 4 weeks for everything to even out so I know how it feels to be up by yourself and really distressed because you feel like you and your boobs suck at everything, but it does get better. I would second (or third??) the idea of side-lying feeding. It has saved me many nights as far as getting sleep or at least resting at night. Good luck! I almost quit BF-ing a few times the first month and it was always because of some problem I was having with night feedings.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#24 of 33 Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 PM

I haven't read all of the responses, but I'll be honest. With my first, I hated it. Hate, hate, hated it. Really. Daytime, night time. I think the hatred really started around 2 weeks. I just stressed about her latch, was she sucking in too much air? Was she getting enough? The list goes on. I called LLL's hotline and got some tips, and calmed down. But my LO was miserable crying in pain. Turns out I had oversupply (which you really should not self-diagnose, by the way), and once my supply evened out, so did my LO. By 6 weeks, it was tolerable, and by 8 weeks, I could even see how I would like it. By 3 months, I LOVED it and was soooo glad I decided to hang in there. I made it 18 months. The best news is that I was prepared with more info and experience for my second and was soooo much more confident. I loved it from the start with her just as passionately as I hated it with my first. Hang in there because it really gets soooo much easier.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#25 of 33 Old 03-03-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhendoula View Post

Also remember as baby gets bigger they can eat in like 5 - 10 minutes!   - your update sounded great - keep checking in and letting us know your doing!

My dds were fast nurser and always only nurse for 5-10mins. As newborns, i would "force" them to nurse as long as 10min but I had to wake them up, etc..  Your dd could be like that. Then you have some dc that takes forever it seems.

You're doing great!!! it will get easier. :)

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#26 of 33 Old 03-04-2011, 01:20 PM

The first 6 weeks are def the hardest.  When my first was a baby I remember at the 2 week mark wondering how on earth women did this for YEARS? When I kept thinking I had to get through one more day...just one more day of bfing and told myself that each day, but then it gets SO MUCH better.  For one, the baby gets better at just knowing what to do...there is less adjusting position, wiggling arms, etc....they just know how to find what they want and latch on! lol. Plus you start getting these BEAUTIFUL smiles...they will latch on, stop for a moment with a little milk dribbling down their chin and BEAM at you like you are the most amazing creature in the universe and you rock their little world.  That's when it all gets better and before you know it, you'll LOVE bfing :)

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#27 of 33 Old 03-05-2011, 08:13 AM

Yeah, I really hated it too at first. I almost quit so many times. But now it's the easiest way to mother my son (8 months). 

#28 of 33 Old 03-06-2011, 09:27 AM

If you DO decide you just can't take the nighttime nursing, try pumping during the day so you can at least give breastmilk in the bottles at night - sooo much better than formula.  But try not to stress about watching the clock.  My DS has really never nursed more than about 5-10 minutes at a time, but he is a chunk!  Some of them are just really efficient.  Keep a count on wet diapers and weigh her occasionally if you can.  5 or 10 or 20 minutes of nursing really doesn't tell you if your LO is getting enough.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#29 of 33 Old 04-24-2011, 12:16 PM

You can definitely listen to audio books, it's a LOT of fun, while breastfeeding ;)!!! And you do not need to sit all the time, just lay down and relax, lol! You will remember this time as best time of you life!

#30 of 33 Old 04-24-2011, 01:13 PM

I would go out of my mind with boredom if I couldn't read on my laptop while nursing.  She is only two weeks so is in a very fussy/ still adjusting stage.  I bet with time you can gradually get her used to some movement or activity.  could you watch TV for now?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page