Increasing Milk Supply--What worked for you? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-02-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone!

My DD is 4 months old, and we've had a great time nursing so far. From what I can tell, I have a pretty good supply. (Now, I can pump up to 6 oz in a short time, which is great!) But a family at my church has a foster baby who is 7 months old, and she's had some health issues and a hard time digesting formula. So some of the nursing moms are going to try to donate some milk for this little girl to help boost her immune system and help with her digestive issues. 

I'd love to help in this effort, and I was just wondering what techniques for increasing milk supply have worked for you ladies.

I've read about several things that can encourage milk production, but I'd like to hear what's actually worked for some other women. And is it realistic for me to expect my body to produce enough for my baby AND enough to provide any significant donation for this other little one, especially since I already seem to have a decent supply? 

Thanks for reading! smile.gif

#2 of 5 Old 03-02-2011, 05:07 PM

I think it's completely realistic. Consider that many of us have nursed twins, or more, and had plenty! My favorite strategy would be pumping while nursing--- several times a day, when you sit down to nurse your LO, put one flange of a good electric pump on your other breast. Basically, you're tricking your body into thinking it's nursing two at once, which should give your supply a really good boost if you're consistent about doing it every day. It can take a few days to a week for the increase to come, but it will. (FWIW, if baby is used to taking both breasts at a feed, that's fine. When she switches, put the pump back on the first side. She may complain for a few days, about the supply on that second side, and want to nurse a bit more often to make up for it, but that's awesome because that increased demand will help even more.) I used to do this WHILE nursing twins-- do one twin and the pump, and then the other twin and the pump, to stash some in the freezer. It really worked, for me.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 5 Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely try this. 

#4 of 5 Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 AM

Vitanica Lactation Blend works for me.  Usually one dose is enough to cause me to get engorged.

#5 of 5 Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 AM

Wheat grass in a carrot juice...but have the pump ready when you drink it as I engorged quickly. Also, to be honest, a stout beer...encourages milk production...and is nutritious..not to say to do it all the time of course.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page