How long did you breastfeed and why did you stop? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Breastfeeding > How long did you breastfeed and why did you stop?
Nicole730's Avatar Nicole730 07:12 PM 03-08-2011

#1 - stopped producing majority of my milk at 14 months, I was 7 weeks pregnant.  DS stopped asking to nurse and I stopped nursing him around 18 months.

#2 - still going.  I plan on trying to get pregnant when she is about 18 months, so we'll see what happens then

frogeagle's Avatar frogeagle 07:23 PM 03-08-2011

I breastfeed for 13 months.  My son weaned himself, he just became disinterested.  I couldn't get him to drink milk though.  But my peditrician suggested chocolate milk and that did it. 

Thandiwe's Avatar Thandiwe 07:24 PM 03-08-2011

1)  Self-weaned at about 13.5 months old.  We were kind of doing the don't offer/don't refuse approach to breastfeeding as he was, and still is, an avid eater who really enjoys food.  So, eventually he got to a point where he never reached out to nurse.  I didn't offer/push him, because I needed to take a med he couldn't get anyways.  So I decided to let him go forward with weaning and take the meds.  He never looked back, and I wore a lot of guilt over the situation until I looked back and realized he really did naturally wean.

2)  He is the reason I realized #1 self-weaned.  If #2 could live at my breast, he would.  He's 3.5 yo, and he's showing absolutely no interest in slowing down, let alone weaning.  He nurses many, many times a day.  It's the last thing he talks about at night and the first thing he asks for in the morning.  He made it through my dry up during pg in mid 2009, and then picked up again when baby was born in Feb 2010.  He's been nursing stronger than before now.

3)  Still nursing.  He just turned one.  I am really, really happy I chose to tandem, because I adore the looks the two younger ones give each other when they are nursing at the same time.  I am finding it difficult to nurse my middle child emotionally, because I'm feeling really drained emotionally since both my youngest kids nurse constantly throughout the day.  The baby has very minimal interest in solids, and it seems like every couple of hours my preschooler is asking to nurse. :(

It was funny the other day, though, because someone I just met asked if baby is still taking bottles.  I said, "Well, he never did.  He nurses."  She said, "Still??"  And I said, "Yup."  I felt like saying, 'yeah, well, I wonder what you would say about my 3.5 year old since you're freaked that my 1 year old nurses!'  lol.gif

Sustainer's Avatar Sustainer 08:07 PM 03-08-2011

Four and a half years for each child.  I didn't stop -- my children did.

blessedwithboys's Avatar blessedwithboys 08:29 PM 03-08-2011

Ds1: 24 mos.  We struggled a lot with tongue tie and a sleepy baby, so when he was 17 mos and went almost a week w/out nursing, I made it a point to offer every hour all day long.  He was teeny tiny (17 lbs at 12 mos) and refused most solids, so I thought he needed to stick with the milk for a while.  His strike lasted about 5 or 6 days and then we went back to nursing like a newborn until almost exactly his 2nd b-day.  That's when I stopped offering and it was over rather quickly.

Side-note:  I was 17 when ds was born and had never even seen a mama nursing in real life.  I stuck it out, pain and all, never used a bottle one single time, and even did WIC peer counseling for a while.  My proudest accomplishment, EBFing ds1.  :)

Ds2:  60 mos.  He just loved his boobies.

starflower1's Avatar starflower1 04:05 AM 03-09-2011

My 3 year old daughter still breastfeeds and I am 7.5 months pregnant with my second.  I did night wean her in the first trimester because I had terrible all day sickness and I needed the sleep.  That transition was harder on her than on me, now when she wakes up in the night - which happens less often then when she nursed in the night - we cuddle and she falls back to sleep.  Sometimes she pretends to nurse by cuddling into my shirt.  She loves nursing and I don't imagine her stopping any time soon.  She talks about how she loves my nipples, but  I do not always say yes when she asks anymore.  I get really drained if she nurses a lot during the day.  She lost interest somewhat when my milk dried up, but didn't stop and recently it seems that my supply has come back.  I am not sure if it is milk or colostrum, but her enthusiasm has increased with it.  I kind of liked it when we were down to 3 times a day - morning, nap and bedtime.  That is still what we do most days, but sometimes, especially if something is bothering her or there is not a lot going on, she will ask for it more. 

It will be interesting to see how things go when the little one arrives.  I am excited to tandem nurse, but also a little nervous.  I have a feeling she will want to nurse a lot, and I hope I have the stamina for it, because I do not like denying her something that means so much to her (both of us really).  I I think that breastfeeding may really help all of us with the transition from a family of 3 to a fam of 4. 

We struggled with an undiagnosed tongue tie for the first few months of her life, so I don't want to end something that we both worked so hard for before she is ready.  That being said, I don't know if I would want to go much longer than 5 years old. 

jsprecourt's Avatar jsprecourt 07:05 AM 03-09-2011

I have been breastfeeding my youngest for 30 months and am wondering if she'll nurse through 3 years. I nursed my son until he was almost 3 (during a rough pregnancy and eventually he weaned during then), and my older boys until 13 months each (at that time I only knew other mothers and doctors that recommended 1st year only.) We have amazing support- I think by now family and friends know this is just how we do things and it's so natural and normal, it doesn't seem odd that she is of any age that breastfeeding wouldn't be appropriate. It's been a wonderful relationship for us both,

Stephanie

adventuresinbabywearing.com

Bensmommy's Avatar Bensmommy 07:47 AM 03-09-2011

With DS- 6 months, then was told to wean by his gastroenterologist because he was "allergic" to my milk-- HUGE mistake-- don't ever fall for that one!

With DD- almost 4 years.  She self weaned in a very gentle and lovely manner over many, many months.  She's happy and very healthy even now at 5 years old.  Best decision I ever made!  Best foundation any child can receive!

Earthmama97's Avatar Earthmama97 08:23 AM 03-09-2011

With my first it was only 6 months as we were using formula and I didn't know any better :).  My second was about 2 years when he lost interest.  My third was about 2.5 years and she just slowly lost interest and we slightly encouraged weanings as we felt it had been long enough.  WIth my fourth we are still nursing at 35 months with no plans of weaning soon!  I have seen first hand the amazing benifits from nursing and have come to accept it as something so natural and wonderful.  I can't imagine not doing it!

Baughface's Avatar Baughface 08:40 AM 03-09-2011

We breast fed for only 7 months, sadly.  My intent was to nurse till at least a year, if not two.  We stopped because my son had/has dysphagia (swallowing problem), and despite weekly therapy sessions and multiple lactation appts, we could never get him to suck correctly and maintain my milk supply.  I used a hospital grade pump right up until the week before we stopped nursing, but the pump, his therapy sessions, herbs and even medication, couldn't keep my milk supply going.  So I simply dried up.   Nursing for us definitely had it's fair share of ups and downs.  I am so hoping and praying that baby #2 (whenever that happens), will be an excellent nurser.

Jamie

crunchymamalife.blogspot.com

fruitfulmomma's Avatar fruitfulmomma 08:58 AM 03-09-2011

I've been lactating close to 11 years with only one really short break during my 3rd pregnancy. DS and DD1 were right around their 4th and 2nd birthdays when I forced it on them because I was so sore. DS was ready and it went really easy, dd was not ready at all and I still wish I had put more effort into continuing. DD2 and DD3 both nursed until around their 4th birthdays and it just became less and less, no real point where it stopped. DD4 is 27 months and still nursing around the clock.

Marsupialmom's Avatar Marsupialmom 09:04 AM 03-09-2011

My first nursed until he was 27 months then he weaned himself. 

My second nursed a little over 4 years, then weaned herself.

My third she weaned herself sometime after her second birthday and before her 3rd.  She was the most "startling" because I just woke up one day realizing have had not nursed a child in a while.  

I tandem nursed the last two.   

applecider's Avatar applecider 09:11 AM 03-09-2011
DS1 - nursed till he was almost 3. I was pg and it was really no big deal, I'd say he basically weaned himself with a little nudge from me.

DS2 - still nursing STRONG at 2.25. I hope to be done by 3, I'm really going to push that! Nursing has become VERY painful from ovulation to my period so it's hard for me to keep going. greensad.gif
branbran54's Avatar branbran54 09:23 AM 03-09-2011

I didn't bf ds1.

I bf ds2 for 17.5 months.  I was 4 months pregnant at the time and it was brutal.  I never cut back on it, but noticed that he was doing that himself.  He was still waking up 4 or 5 times a night.  One day he just stopped.  He never asked for it again and that was the same day he started sleeping through the night.  I was so thankful for that. 

I am due Sunday with ds3 and am not really looking forward to bfing again.  I have enjoyed these last few months of not having to do it.  I am not sure how long I will do it.  I take it one day at a time and set small goals.  We will probably start to ttc when he turns 2 and I would like to be wrapping it up by then just to give myself that break.

KristyDi's Avatar KristyDi 09:33 AM 03-09-2011

DD will be 3 on Friday.  We're still nursing, but I'm nudging her slowly towards weaning.  I'm feeling touched out regularly so we're slowing down with the intention of dwindling to a stop.

Leisha's Avatar Leisha 10:13 AM 03-09-2011

I weaned my DD (now 2.5 yo) about a month ago. If it had been up to her, she would have still been nursing all day every day, so to speak ;-) but i just thought the time was right...

Since weaning her, she has been sleeping through the night (before, she had to be nursed to sleep - this often took hours and not without tears - and woke up several times a night to nurse) and i have to admit i was just getting a bit tired of it myself sometimes, even though i always loved our nursing sessions before. 

She seems actually happier now; before, she often wanted to wean during the day and i would refuse (well, try to distract her, etc) and i think it caused her some stress... So I think it was a good thing, for both of us.

And, unfortunately, my partner was pushing me a lot to quit breastfeeding. But he had been for a while, and i didn't give in to it, so that actually played little part in my decision. Just recently i felt that it was ok to wean her. And it actually helped that he really wanted me to quit cause that means that he helped a lot, like for example by putting her to bed every night etc (i had already cut down to mainly nursing at night).  I think that, if he hadn't "convinced" me to start weaning DD, i probably would have done CLW, but i don't regret weaning her at all... again, i think it was just a good time, for all of us :)

I was afraid that weaning would be a "traumatizing" experience, seeing how attached she was to "dollie" (= what she calls nursing/my boobs :lol ) but she still loves cuddling and kissing them, lol so i am really happy that the comforting, familiar feelings associated with nursing have not gone away.

Lilysmomma2008's Avatar Lilysmomma2008 11:33 AM 03-09-2011

I have one daughter and she is 28 months old and nursing for naps and bedtime. I found out I was pregnant when I was 18 and I'm not sure why, but it never occured to myself or to my soon-to-be husband that I would do anything but breastfeed. I got very lucky with my just under 9lb newborn baby girl and she instantly knew how to bf. I had to start her on solid foods at 3 months on her doctors reccomendation because she was nursing every 15-30 minutes and of course I was worn out. I barely had time to run to the bathroom. She did well with the food and nursing and is still enjoying it now. I have my moments of frustration with nursing and soreness like any other nursing mother, but I do enjoy bf her and spending that special time with her. My husband is skeptical and one of those people who think breastfeeding for one year is a lot and after that is too much, but I asked my family and the average age that the women who did bf continued until 2 1/2 years. That encouraged me. I have an aunt who ha been wonderful in supporting my bf. Most of my family and friends are very negative about it and disapprove of it. I just don't bring it up around them and I am going to continue to bf my daughter as long as she and I are both comfortable doing it. I was pleasantly suprised to see that so many in this forum bf for much longer than I have and with multiple children. Thank you so much for sharing your stories.

QueenOfTheMeadow's Avatar QueenOfTheMeadow 12:45 PM 03-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by branbran54 View Post

I didn't bf ds1.

I bf ds2 for 17.5 months.  I was 4 months pregnant at the time and it was brutal.  I never cut back on it, but noticed that he was doing that himself.  He was still waking up 4 or 5 times a night.  One day he just stopped.  He never asked for it again and that was the same day he started sleeping through the night.  I was so thankful for that. 

I am due Sunday with ds3 and am not really looking forward to bfing again.  I have enjoyed these last few months of not having to do it.  I am not sure how long I will do it.  I take it one day at a time and set small goals.  We will probably start to ttc when he turns 2 and I would like to be wrapping it up by then just to give myself that break.

One day at a time is great!! I night weaned each one at about 12 months, and it made things seem much less stressful.
tabrizia's Avatar tabrizia 01:06 PM 03-09-2011

I nursed DS until he was 3 1/2 and I weaned him because I was pregnant with newbie and couldn't handle nursing 2 while pregnant.

DD self weaned at 22 months, so about 2 months ago, I really wish she had kept nursing, but she shows no interest now, I am kind of hoping she starts again when newbie arrives, but I am guessing she won't.

Newbie is due sometime within the next 4 weeks, and I plan on letting him nurse till he self weans or is at least 3 1/2, probably will cut off at 4, but no clue at the moment.

mamabearsoblessed's Avatar mamabearsoblessed 01:38 PM 03-09-2011

DD 1 self-weaned at 4yrs 4 mos. That was actually with gentle encouragemnet..

DS 1 self-weaned at 3yrs 9 mos, he tandemed with dd1 for almost 2 years . He ended up weaning following a second lost pg.

DD2 self-weaned at just about 2.5yrs during pg. She is my littlest weaner to date ;).

DS2 is just 6 mos and will self-wean. Chances are he's our last Baby :(. He can nurse forever if he wants ;) LOL.

Thandiwe's Avatar Thandiwe 02:31 PM 03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmomma2008 View Post

I have one daughter and she is 28 months old and nursing for naps and bedtime. I found out I was pregnant when I was 18 and I'm not sure why, but it never occured to myself or to my soon-to-be husband that I would do anything but breastfeed. I got very lucky with my just under 9lb newborn baby girl and she instantly knew how to bf. I had to start her on solid foods at 3 months on her doctors reccomendation because she was nursing every 15-30 minutes and of course I was worn out. I barely had time to run to the bathroom. She did well with the food and nursing and is still enjoying it now. I have my moments of frustration with nursing and soreness like any other nursing mother, but I do enjoy bf her and spending that special time with her. My husband is skeptical and one of those people who think breastfeeding for one year is a lot and after that is too much, but I asked my family and the average age that the women who did bf continued until 2 1/2 years. That encouraged me. I have an aunt who ha been wonderful in supporting my bf. Most of my family and friends are very negative about it and disapprove of it. I just don't bring it up around them and I am going to continue to bf my daughter as long as she and I are both comfortable doing it. I was pleasantly suprised to see that so many in this forum bf for much longer than I have and with multiple children. Thank you so much for sharing your stories.

Welcome to the forums, LilysMomma!  I hope you find the MDC boards as warm and inviting as I have!  I come from a really mainstream family, too, and I have fought the skepticism in my life, sometimes against my husband too, and it has been really awesome to have a group of mamas to turn to who completely get it and support what I feel in my heart.  Hope to see you around!

earthmommy2's Avatar earthmommy2 08:50 PM 03-09-2011

DD nursed till she was about 20 mo.  Self weaned.

DS#1 nursed until I got preg with #3...Self weaned kinda...He came up to nurse and told me my milk was "ewwie..."

DS#2 Still nursing and loving it!   He refuses and is not a fan of solids.

joycenjackiesmom's Avatar joycenjackiesmom 09:13 PM 03-09-2011

DD #1 was 4.5 when I gave her the nudge to stop nursing.  She had nursed all through a pregnancy and after I went back to work and was pumping for DD#2 I couldn't have both nursing anymore.  She was only nursing once a day so it wasn't too hard for her.

DD#2 weaned herself abruptly at 18 months---one day she nursed like usual the next she refused.  I was able to convince her to nurse one more time when I became engorged but that was it---she wasn't even tempted when offerered.

1  2

Up