Augmentin safe? How do I avoid thrush? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-09-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Two questions. I have bacterial vaginosis and possibly a uterine infection so I feel like it makes sense to take the abx. In the last few days I've been suspecting thrush (pink nipples, uncomfortable let down).

So - where can I find info on how this will impact my 5.5 wk old nursling? And what can I do to treat/prevent thrush simultaneously? What the best probiotic I can get at Whole Foods?

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When my son took abx. for an ear infection, and then again when he had thrush, we both took Lactobacillus reuteri. (My guy was on solids by that point). Dunno if whole foods carries it though; I got it on a recommendation from our local bf center, which has a shop. I also ate a ton of yoghurt & avoided sugar. 

#3 of 4 Old 03-16-2011, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

When I take antibiotics when nursing it is very important to take probiotics so that you don't get a yeast infection and/or more thrush. But you must time it inbetween your antibiotic doses so that you don't have a war in your gut between the two...lol. So, if you need to take the antibiotic every 6 hours, take the probiotic 3 hrs after taking the antibiotic. 

I can't recommend any specific brand. I just usually get what's on sale! Good luck!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#4 of 4 Old 03-16-2011, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

oh, and to treat thrush I used Grapefruit Seed extract. You can buy it Whole Foods too. Put 10 drops in 1oz of water and apply to your nipples with a q tip and let them AIR DRY. Then, when they are dry, apply a 2% miconazole to your breast too ( yeast infection cream). You don't have to wipe it off before feedings. It's fine for baby. Do this after EVERY feeding for the first 4 days and then  continue 2 times a day for 2 weeks, even after your breasts return to normal. Good luck!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page