side-lying is suddenly pop on, pop off - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-03-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 14 week-old and I co-sleep and it has typically been so nice b/c I can pop a boob in his mouth in the middle of the night without either of us waking up much at all.

Within the past week or two, he started this new thing where, only really in the side-lying position, he will fuss to latch on, will suck two or three times, then will whine and move his head to the side, unlatching himself.  Then he will frantically fuss to latch back on. Then he will de-latch again. Over and over and over.

This is driving me NUTS!!! It really takes the ease out of co-sleeping lately. Not only does he do this at 3 am (and at 5 am, and at 7 am, and all the other times he wakes up), but during the day for naps too. It is not a real problem in any other nursing position, but that means that I have to get myself sitting straight up and holding his weight, etc.

Any ideas what this is? It is really weird. I've checked both my boobs and his mouth and see no signs of thrush, and he does this equally on both sides so he shows no preference for one side over another. When the milk lets down, he will stay latched and will gulp it down happily, but then once it slows he will start back with the pop on, pop off until the next let down (if I have the patience to stick it out that long).

#2 of 5 Old 04-03-2011, 04:12 PM

My son did a similar thing at around the same age (12-14 weeks or so)- he would suck and then turn and grind his face into the bed like he was rubbing his nose or something! Over and over, and I'd have to prop up on one elbow and re-adjust him. I still don't know what it was, he just stopped doing it after 2 or 3 weeks. It was very frustrating but he's now 26 weeks and hasn't done it in a long time. Maybe your son will just stop too!

#3 of 5 Old 04-03-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, that is what he does! He makes a little noise, like a whine of frustration, turns his head to the side and smushes it into my breast or onto the bed. It is encouraging to know that your LO stopped...hopefully mine will too.

#4 of 5 Old 04-04-2011, 04:03 PM

I'm having the exact same problem with my 4 month old. He'll pop on and off and move his head from side to side just like you described. I have been sitting up and latching him on and then carefully laying him and myself back down after let down. It's frustrating!

#5 of 5 Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 AM

My DS is only 9 weeks but he's been doing that for a couple weeks. I assumed he needed to burp/spit up. After I pick him up and he gets it out we lay back down and he's pretty calm. Also, we give him gripe water as a preventative and I think it helps. (He's a very burpy guy!)

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page