HUGE lump in breast - what do I do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-03-2011, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Title pretty much sums it up. I don't know how it got there so fast! I mean, the thing is huge, literally half my breast. It didn't seem painful at first (I only noticed it a few hours ago), but it's starting to feel tender now, although I've been poking at it and trying to massage it out, which might be part of the pain. I've had plugged ducts before, they hurt a lot more than this and they were much smaller. I also felt some symptoms with those when they were only pea size, unlike this mammoth. I'm concerned. Don't see how I can work this out myself. Is it doctor time? I don't have a lot of faith in my doctor when it comes to nursing problems. She wasn't much help when I had thrush. Luckily, there's a LLL meeting coming up in a few days, but in the meantime, is there someone out there who can tell me what I have and how I should treat it?

#2 of 8 Old 04-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Banned

Well, it's either a plugged duct or early mastitis. If it's matsitis you will need to see doc to get antibiotics.

But probably is plugged duct. Do you have a pump? I had a plugged duct and put baby on to nurse - nada. I put on the super pump and I felt the duct POP open.

I'd try nursing, pumping, massaging it and doing hot compresses. But you need to get it resolved before it gets infected and turns into a big ol mess!
#3 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 06:24 AM

Add-ons to Ms Fortune's advice. Ibuprofen helped me, as did massaging starting at the nipple to clear the exit route, then moving back to the duct. Leaning over DS while he was on his back to nurse also helped. Hot hot soaks then nursing then icepacks also helped (but the ice was nasty!)

Good luck!

#4 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for replying. It has ballooned up overnight, and now it hurts :( It's amazing to me that this can be a plugged duct. It's so big. I did phone the LLL leader in my area & she said pretty much what you two said.

#5 of 8 Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 AM

Have you checked for a milk blister? They cause plugs some times and need to be cleared before the plug can clear.

also this kellymom page may give you some more ideas.

ETA: If you have a partner, he or she may be able to clear the plug better than the baby.

#6 of 8 Old 04-09-2011, 05:31 PM

I'm just about to start a question about what is going on with my breast and this sounds remarkably similar.  What is your situation now?  At present, my "lump" is about the size of a kiwi and I've had it since early December. 

Speaking to a local pediatrician (over the phone) who is the go-to person for LLL leaders who have questions, she believes I have a galactocele and we're progressing from there.... I'm very frustrated with the typical healthcare people I've spoken with since December.

#7 of 8 Old 04-10-2011, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Heather4, mine progressed extremely quickly. Within 12 hours of the time I posted this, my breast was red and you could feel the heat coming off of it just by putting your hand near it. It had also become very painful. I went to the doctor, she said it was mastitis & prescribed me antibiotics. I think she was right in her diagnosis, because after just a couple doses of the antibiotic, it was gone. Of course, I'm still taking the antibiotics, because it's not good to not finish the prescription, but it's pretty much fixed right now. I hope you figure out what is going on with you! It can be frustrating! 

PatioGardener likes this.
#8 of 8 Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 PM

There's also something called a milk cyst (GALACTOCELE) - which isn't infected or related in any way to masititis. It's just a cyst that's filled with milk - if they don't go away on their own, they can be aspirated and that usually ends them.

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page