New to Breastfeeding and have questions. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had my son on Saturday, 9pounds 2 oz.

Yesterday and last night he has been eating almost every hour. Is this normal for a 4-5 day old?

Also if you had a c/s and you breastfed when was it comfortable to use a different position other than football hold? I tried yesterday to cradle him but my stomach seriously felt like I was bouncing him on it.

The hospital I had him at says he is just a big boy and to supp him with formula. But I don't want to do that. My first son never latched- and we never figured out why. I spent weeks working with a Breastfeeding person from the hospital I had him at. And my new son latched on as soon as I got him in my arms so I dont want to ruin that.

Also any tips you can give about the soreness on the sides of my breast right now. And cracked and a little bloody nipps?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on baby's birth. I, too, had a lot of trouble breastfeeding my first-- dealt with breast refusal, after baby was given bottles in the hospital. With my subsequent kids, I was DETERMINED to make it work. So maybe I can be of help.

First of all, yes, eating that frequently is totally normal, and very good for bringing in your full supply of milk, and a great sign that your LO is so alert and eager to nurse. Frequent feeds are the biological norm for human infants. The suggestion to supp with formula is usually a bad one, when the only "problem" is frequent feeding, which isn't really a problem. There are definitely situations where formula is necessary, but giving formula just to space feeds can lead to all sorts of difficulties-- like refusal to latch, nipple confusion, lousy latch, reduced supply, etc. It will fill baby up with a less-digestible food, cause baby to sleep longer, and nurse less often, and the whole thing often spirals downhill from there.

Have you had the opportunity to have a weight check? You may find that by this time, depending on how fully your milk has come in, that baby has stopped losing weight, and begun to gain back birthweight. You'll typically see that most babies have regained birthweight by two weeks, and gain steadily after that. If baby is gaining, and you are seeing plenty of pees and poops in a normal pattern for this age-- then there is no problem!

Of course, if baby is still losing weight, or not soiling diapers, and you are concerned, you'll want to search out local help-- a good IBCLC or a knowledgeable pediatrician, or your midwife or OB, may be a good place to begin. Your hospital might be able to recommend someone, as well. If you do decide to supplement, for good solid reasons, you might want to consider alternative methods of giving the supplement-- syringes, medicine droppers, and supplemental nursing systems come to mind. Those can help head off issues of nipple preference or breast refusal. Not all babies are subject to those problems, but when they happen, they can be incredibly difficult to overcome.

Soreness on your breast itself-- are you engorged? Applying hot compresses before feeds can help keep the milk flowing. Fill a sock with uncooked rice, and microwave it. Don't let it get hot enough to burn your skin! If you feel lumps, or you find that after a feed, there's an area of your breast that doesn't empty, you may be dealing with a plugged duct. If you develop a fever, then get medical help-- that's mastitis, which is NOT a reason to stop breastfeeding, but it does often require antibiotic treatment.

Nipple soreness is tricky. In many cases, it means that baby's latch is less than ideal. An IBCLC or your local LLL leader may be of help in evaluating latch. I would in particular wonder about the latch, if baby isn't gaining weight by a week old. Some babies have small issues with tongue tie, etc., that makes it difficult for them to latch well. But also, some babies who are nursing well, with no other issues, and gaining well, do cause some soreness in the early weeks, and often the cause is never found, and it goes away all on its own. But if it's really painful, or you are concerned, please reach out for help locally!

I had c-sections, and I had my best luck with side-lying nursing. It can take some practice, especially if your breast size and/or shape make positioning awkward, but it is totally worth the effort, if you can make it work. I used to get my pillow arranged, and then latch baby on while sitting up, and then slowly ease down to a lying-down position. It helps to put a rolled-up blanket behind baby's back, to help baby stay on on his/her side. (You can secure it with tape to keep it from coming unrolled.)

I was about two weeks PP before the soreness in my belly was really mostly gone. It still itched a lot, and I had moments of soreness, but for the most part it felt a lot better by then.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 AM

Congratulations!

Just wanted to chime in and emphasize that yup, feeding every hour is very normal especially for a newborn. And just frequent feeding and a big baby is not a reason to supplement, there are times when you might need to, but just for that keep on BFing as much as he wants and he'll bring your milk in and get your supply going.

I also recommend seeing a lactation consultant or someone from LLL to check your baby's latch as that is often the culprit when you have cracked nipples and either/both Lasinoh application or expressing a drop or two of breastmilk and letting your breasts air dry after each feeding can help too. I'm not sure about the soreness on the sides, maybe from engorgement (fullness) or the weight of the breast pulling on the surrounding muscles? Again, a lactation consultant should be able to help with that too hopefully! Until you can see someone, you can check here for some latching tips: http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/When%20Latching.asp

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#4 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 PM

My nipples were also cracked and a little bloody from constant nursing when my daughter was just born. I think I was just raw, rather than a latch issue (but we did get that checked too). I used olive oil on my nipples and they healed pretty quickly.

Congratulations Mama!
#5 of 6 Old 04-17-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses. Things are going much better. I was engorged and I used the hot bags to help. I was able to get a loaner pump from WIC. As for the latch they said his latch was great and my nipples have since gotten better. I am using the Lanolin (sp ) and soothies breast gel pads you put in the fridge. We had a weight check (2 weeks old) and he was up for weight. 9pounds 2 oz @ birth and 9pounds 11 oz @ 2 weeks.

I am so happy that he is a great nurser! Thank you again for the advise.

#6 of 6 Old 04-17-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekprincess View Post

Thank you for your responses. Things are going much better. I was engorged and I used the hot bags to help. I was able to get a loaner pump from WIC. As for the latch they said his latch was great and my nipples have since gotten better. I am using the Lanolin (sp ) and soothies breast gel pads you put in the fridge. We had a weight check (2 weeks old) and he was up for weight. 9pounds 2 oz @ birth and 9pounds 11 oz @ 2 weeks.

I am so happy that he is a great nurser! Thank you again for the advise.

Way to go, Mama!  2 oz over birth weight at 2 weeks is GREAT! love.gif You guys are getting into breastfeeding and soon you'll be experts! :)

And I just want to say You Rock. It is hard to nurse around the clock those first weeks in optimal circumstances. After a C-section, and with hospital people telling you to supplement with formula (aka: sabotaging your breastfeeding relationship) it must have been really hard. Congratulations on your perseverance! And on your baby!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page