Tanking Supply--Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-12-2011, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I started back in school when ds3 was 4 mos old. I'm only taking one class, but it's 5 hours, two times a week. 1.5 hr lecture and 3.5 hr lab. I only have 10 minutes between classes. There's no where to pump, much less time to do so.

Ds is almost 7 mos. At his 6 mos checkup he only gained 2 lbs since his 4mos visit. He's still on his growth curve, but rather than almost 60th percentile, he's in the low 50s.

He's also been a lot fussier the last few months. At first I thought it was because I was gone for so long, but now I'm wondering if he's not getting enough?

He's also taken to frequent nursing, including at night. I'm exhausted, but he really does eat.

Also, my pumping output has decreased. I used to be able to pump 4-5 oz, now it's 2.

I've started taking fenugreek, but what else can I do?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#2 of 5 Old 04-13-2011, 08:56 PM

Hey Ami,

Are you sure your supply is tanking? From what you mention it sounds like he is reverse cycling. Meaning he us making up for any lost feeds at night.

As far as falling of his weight percentage, I'd make sure he was bring charted on the WHO chart and I'd look to see if he is doing any extra activity to see if that is leading to a slowdown of weight gain.
#3 of 5 Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 AM

A lot of what you mentioned seems to be like what I/DD have experienced and really very normal. DD's growth was a little lower on the charts at her 6 month check-up, but nothing to worry about. We have since been to her 9 mo check-up and she is back up on the charts to where she was before.

Up until DD was 7 mo old I could pump 2-4 ozs very quickly and easily. I was donating to a milk bank. But, for the past two months I have barely been able to get 1 oz when I try to pump and haven't donated any more. :(

DD goes through changes in her night feedings pretty often. Sometimes she will sleep about 4 hours, nurse, then nurse every hour after that. Sometimes (rarely, thank goodness) she will have a couple nights in a row where she will nurse about every 1/2 hour!  sleepytime.gif

You can try adding oatmeal to your diet. It can help increase supply. A friend of mine said eating oatmeal didn't seem to increase her supply, but did seem to make the breastmilk more filling.

HTH!

Catholic, SAHM, Married 6 yrs. , Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is 4, DS is 2-we had a wonderful , EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to two unrelated girls. 
#4 of 5 Old 04-17-2011, 09:48 PM

Dr. Jack Newman has an herbal remedy protocol for increasing milk supply if you think that supply is an issue. You can find it here:

http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Herbal%20Remedies%20for%20Milk%20Supply.asp

I've heard that taking Fenugreek on its own can be gassy for baby, so it is recommended to take blessed thistle along with it.

Also, night feeding is really good to do as your milk producing hormones are higher then... This can help boost and protect your supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post

I started back in school when ds3 was 4 mos old. I'm only taking one class, but it's 5 hours, two times a week. 1.5 hr lecture and 3.5 hr lab. I only have 10 minutes between classes. There's no where to pump, much less time to do so.

Ds is almost 7 mos. At his 6 mos checkup he only gained 2 lbs since his 4mos visit. He's still on his growth curve, but rather than almost 60th percentile, he's in the low 50s.

He's also been a lot fussier the last few months. At first I thought it was because I was gone for so long, but now I'm wondering if he's not getting enough?

He's also taken to frequent nursing, including at night. I'm exhausted, but he really does eat.

Also, my pumping output has decreased. I used to be able to pump 4-5 oz, now it's 2.

I've started taking fenugreek, but what else can I do?

Ami

#5 of 5 Old 04-18-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prone_to_wander View Post

Hey Ami,

Are you sure your supply is tanking? From what you mention it sounds like he is reverse cycling. Meaning he us making up for any lost feeds at night.

As far as falling of his weight percentage, I'd make sure he was bring charted on the WHO chart and I'd look to see if he is doing any extra activity to see if that is leading to a slowdown of weight gain.

I'm not sure if the doctor is using the WHO chart. I'll check. I'm more concerned about the 1 lb a month gain. I know it slows down, but 4-6 months is too early for it to slow that much, isn't it? The lack of weight gain is what is making me question my supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfarmom View Post

A lot of what you mentioned seems to be like what I/DD have experienced and really very normal. DD's growth was a little lower on the charts at her 6 month check-up, but nothing to worry about. We have since been to her 9 mo check-up and she is back up on the charts to where she was before.

Up until DD was 7 mo old I could pump 2-4 ozs very quickly and easily. I was donating to a milk bank. But, for the past two months I have barely been able to get 1 oz when I try to pump and haven't donated any more. :(

DD goes through changes in her night feedings pretty often. Sometimes she will sleep about 4 hours, nurse, then nurse every hour after that. Sometimes (rarely, thank goodness) she will have a couple nights in a row where she will nurse about every 1/2 hour!  sleepytime.gif

You can try adding oatmeal to your diet. It can help increase supply. A friend of mine said eating oatmeal didn't seem to increase her supply, but did seem to make the breastmilk more filling.

HTH!

Phew, good to know someone else has experienced this. :) This is the first time I've been gone for long chunks of time with a little baby. So pumping output drops after 6 months? Good to know. His night nursing is all over the place too. I had the every 1/2 hr nursing  a few days ago. Ugh, so sleepy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangogirl View Post

Dr. Jack Newman has an herbal remedy protocol for increasing milk supply if you think that supply is an issue. You can find it here:

http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Herbal%20Remedies%20for%20Milk%20Supply.asp

I've heard that taking Fenugreek on its own can be gassy for baby, so it is recommended to take blessed thistle along with it.

Also, night feeding is really good to do as your milk producing hormones are higher then... This can help boost and protect your supply.

Must get some blessed thistle. He is definitely more gassy and cranky since I've started the fenugreek. Do you know in what proportion to take the fenugreek & blessed thistle?

I'll remind myself of the night feedings being good. It is so tiring though! I also have a 3 year old, so no way to really catch up. A friend mentioned that maybe it's the exhaustion & stress of not getting enough sleep causing it to tank? Off to look at the link.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page