a different foremilk/hindmilk question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD and DS were both slow to gain weight. Now I am wondering if I have mainly foremilk.

I have done single sided, switch feeding, teas, supplements,  and lots of other things. My pumped milk has always looked watery and I rarely get more than two oz. I pump infrequently since I work part-time.  My husband has had to start bringing my daughter to me to feed.  She is ten months now and since starting solids, she is finally putting on weight. 

How can I correct this problem?.  I would love to have a third in a few years, but don't want a repeat of the stress and worry. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Could it be that you actually have a lot of milk, and the babies aren't nursing on your breast for long enough to get the hind milk? What happens if you pump first, then nurse? I had to do that with my younger son as he was never getting to the hind milk, and that solved our problem. However, this was only an issue when he was an infant and young baby (<6 months of age).

What is your diet like? Are you eating lots of good fats and proteins? Are you getting an extra 500-1000 calories/day?

Are the babies on a strict schedule? It could be that if you are producing 2 oz. of milk per breast per feeding, they need to nurse both breasts at each feeding and nurse 9 times a day to get 36 oz. of milk, whereas a woman with a big storage capacity, say 6 oz. per breast, would only need to nurse her baby 6 times a day on one breast to give the baby the same 36 oz. of milk. Do you nurse on demand as much as possible?

Are the babies following a growth curve or falling off a chart? If they start out in the lower percentages and stay there, it's okay. It's only if you see a baby who starts say at the 60th percentile, then growth flattens and they go from 60 to 40 to 20 to 3rd that it's a worry, or if they fall off the growth chart entirely. Are the babies meeting their other milestones for development? Breastfed babies typically slow their growth relative to formula-fed babies around months 9-12, slimming down as they start to get more mobile.

I think it may also reduce stress and worry if you look at the baby and not at the growth chart the pediatrician hands you. Is baby healthy, though small? The growth charts are skewed by the large numbers of formula fed babies, and in America, we equate BIGGER with BETTER. But that's not always the case. Bigger babies can be at higher risk for adult-onset health problems like type 2 diabetes and obesity, so a slim little baby may be more likely to grow into a healthy adult than one who might be packing on extra fat cells that will stay with them their whole lives.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page