How long until your period returned? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 04-23-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just out of curiosity, how long did other nursing moms go without getting a period while nursing?  What kind of nursing did you practice (that is, did you supplement with formula? do any pumping? night wean?)?  How long did you nurse?

I read that if you practice "ecological" breastfeeding (basically pure breastfeeding with no supplements, pacifiers, etc) you can go as long two years with an average of about 14 months without AF.  I wouldn't know, because I got pregnant without ever having my period return at 10 months postpartum while nursing pretty much exclusively, although we had introduced solids and used a pacifier occasionally.

Anyway, how long have you been able to put it off?

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#2 of 30 Old 04-23-2011, 03:57 PM

Breastfeeding exclusively, I did not get a period for about 5 months.  They were low flow and shorter than my usual until about 8 months when he began eating more (2 meals a day- pureed foods).

Orthodox Christian mother of 3 ; Thea, Keegan, and Alexander
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
#3 of 30 Old 04-23-2011, 04:50 PM

DS never had bottles or pacifiers and didn't eat solids (well, didn't eat more than an occasional bite or two) until 14mos. He nursed 20+ times a day and all. night. long. So he was not just exclusively and ecologically BF, he was also excessively BF. lol.gif Surely that should have held AF back for a good year or two, right??? NOPE, not for me!! AF returned by 9mos. greensad.gif I was so bummed. Though it was a little lighter & much less painful for the first few cycles at least!! (And we have been TTC #2 since he was born but have had NO luck... it's all kind of ironic, really... lol.gif)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 30 Old 04-23-2011, 05:19 PM

With DS I nursed exclusively until 10 months (he had no interest in solids before then) and always ecologically and still got my period back by four months.

With DD we're at six months of EBFing and no period so far. I'm hoping I can stave it off a little longer still... I love not getting periods! praying.gif

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#5 of 30 Old 04-23-2011, 05:29 PM

There is crazy variability. I had friends who supplemented, etc. who took a year or more to get it back, and I exclusively nursed TWINs on demand-no bottles nothing but me- and mine came back at 6 months. Not fun!

#6 of 30 Old 04-23-2011, 06:29 PM

Nak-

20 months PP after both births.  Ecological breastfeeding, no paci, very occasional bottle, solids around 7 mos, no nightweaning until after AF returned.

I thought it interesting that it was exactly 20mos both times. What are the odds of that?

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#7 of 30 Old 04-23-2011, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With dd, AF came back at 5 months, but she was not EBF. With DS, AF came back at 10 months. Just had second visit from AF last week. Her visits were almost 7 weeks apart. They have been short, for me, at 7 days apiece and have been very heavy and painful. I have been EBF'ing him nonstop with him not eating much for solids. No paci or bottles for him.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#8 of 30 Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 PM

8 months. EBF. I only pump about 6x a week when I work. 3 twelve hours shifts I pump 2x each. No problem with supply as of yet. I do notice a big decrease when I let myself get dehydrated though. No paci and only a bottle from Dad when I am at work

A Mommy In Love!!!

#9 of 30 Old 04-23-2011, 06:58 PM

24 months here. Hoping for the same this time around!

Melissa Wife to DHpartners.gif, Mom to DSbouncy.gif (3 y.o.) and DD wave.gif (infant) We are a homebirthing, no circ, select and delay vax, cosleeping, full-term breastfeeding happy family!

#10 of 30 Old 04-23-2011, 07:26 PM

18 months with my first, 16 months with my second. Both were  Ecological Breastfeeding, no paci, no night weaning until after 2 1/2 yo or later, started solids around their 6mo (BLW, no bottles, no even sippy). My oldest just self weaning at almost 6 yo and my youngest is no even  close to weaning at 2 1/2 yo

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#11 of 30 Old 04-24-2011, 11:26 AM

17 months after DS1 and 17 months after DS2. No bottles, no pacifiers. Solids started about 9 or 10 months. I'm curious if it will be 17 months this third time around. Currently DS3 is almost 6 months old.

#12 of 30 Old 04-24-2011, 06:01 PM

DS #1- EBF, no pacis, started solids around 9 or 10 months but didn't really eat solid foods until after 12 months.  AF returned around 10 months pp.

DS#2- EBF, no pacis, started solids around 10 months and REALLY got into them fast.  Still nursing.  AF came back around 13 months pp.

I'd almost be willing to get pregnant again to avoid AF.  Almost.  winky.gif

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#13 of 30 Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM

EBF, no bottles, no paci. Introduced solids around 6 months but not in significant amounts till 9 months.

First AF around 9 months, then nothing, 2nd AF at 11 months, nothing, then pregnant again at 13 months. Totally wonky--good thing we wanted another baby!
#14 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 02:01 PM

13 months for me--and I am a WOH pumping mom, so plenty of bottles in our house. In fact I'm pretty sure that weaning from the pump was what triggered it. Kid still nurses around the clock on days that I'm home and all night long all the time.

#15 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 02:08 PM

I don't know in some ways it seems arbitrary.

My first ds was EBF, did take a paci, nursed around the clock and started solids at 8 months. AF returned at 7 months.

Ds2 was EBF, took a paci, nursed overnight 2-3 times a night and started solids at 7 months. AF returned at 13 months.

Go figure.

#16 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 05:32 PM

I don't exactly remember when it was with my girls, but my son is 13 months old and while I've had a little breakthrough bleeding and some cramping, no full-fleged AF has reared her head yet. wink1.gif  Ds was exclusively breastfed until about five months when he started solids, and is still breastfeeding about 4-5 times a day.  I'm pretty certain I won't get AF back until he's weaned, and who knows when that will be.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#17 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 AM

Exclusively breastfeeding my son, AF returned at month 3 postpartum. I am now 6 weeks pregnant (and my baby is 5 months old.) !!!!

#18 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 AM

no bottles no paci, 11 months and 14 months.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#19 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 11:22 AM

My oldest daughter in my siggy is my adopted step daughter

DD2 - I EBF for the first four months and then ONLY nursed at night until about 8 months when I dried up (I had to go back to work - no money for pump) and I got my AF back at exactly 10 months.

DD3 I EBF until about two - she wasn't interested in solids really until about a year - got my AF back at EXACTLY 10 months! I think it was within a day of DD2's AF return.........

RANDOM

It will be even crazier if I get it back at 10 months exactly again. For me it doesn't seem to be effected by much..........It's pretty crazy I didn't get it back for about 2 months after completely weaning at 8 months.

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#20 of 30 Old 05-13-2011, 03:37 PM

It didn't ;)

My first son weaned at 15 months, I ovulated 10 days later and got pregnant the first try. My second son is now 11 months old and no period in sight.  In September it will be four years since I've had a visit from my period!

I have been fortunate enough not to have to supplement with formula with either boy, so they were exclusively BF until solids were introduced at 7 months. DS1 never took a binky, DS2 did but only sparingly. I coslept at least part of the night with both until they were around 8/9 months old, when they night-weaned. They were both fed on demand. 

#21 of 30 Old 05-14-2011, 02:25 PM

With dd3, it was 17 month... with dd4... it appears 14 months (just some wonkiness.. no regularity.. and not much of anything, but I *think* AF returned?!).  Dd3 was actually slightly supplemented in the early weeks (terrible start to everything, but determination won and she went on to nurse for more than three years!).  Other than that, no other bottles, no binkies, co-sleeping, no night-weaning...  Just a boob or two whenever needed.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#22 of 30 Old 05-14-2011, 02:52 PM

I exclusively breastfed and my period returned when my son was 6 weeks old. Even more is that I then had regular cycles (which I had NEVER had before) up until getting pregnant again..will be interested to see what happens this time...no period for 2 years sounds much better!!

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
#23 of 30 Old 05-14-2011, 02:56 PM

With ds, it came back a couple of months after birth. I stayed at home with him until he was 18 mo, and nursed him until he was 4.

With dd who is now 20 mo old, I didn't get AF back yet. And went back to work full time when dd was 1 y/o.

caffix.gif

#24 of 30 Old 05-15-2011, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

11 months for me. EBF for 6 months.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!
***4***8***12***16**20***24***28***32***36***40
 12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#25 of 30 Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 AM

Still EBFing 6.5-month-old DD and I think my period is officially here. I was worried it might be implantation bleeding (have a checkup at my midwife's next week and will take a pregnancy test just to be sure) but it's heavier than that. So it's good and bad--good because I'm not ready to be pregnant again, and bad because I was hoping for more blissfully period-free months!

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#26 of 30 Old 05-23-2011, 01:36 AM

15 months

DD was EBF.  Bottles between 2-4 months when I was working.  No pacis.  Started to sleep in her crib around 4 months.  Introduced solids at 7 months.  Started to sleep through the night around 9 months.  By 1, she was nursing only 2-3 times per day and eating lots of solids.  Weaned at 18 months when I was TTC.   

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#27 of 30 Old 05-23-2011, 05:21 AM

Got AF back at 6 WEEKS postpartum despite meeting all the ecological breastfeeding reqs. My pp AF was a little bit wacky (not as regular before, but regular-ish). It was probably b/c I wasn't actually fully fertile. We started TTC when DS was around 15 mos, and I started charting and discovered I had a super-short LP so there was no way I was getting pregnant (even with Rx progesterone). Then when DS was around 20 mos, we made a cross-country trip and he went almost 24 hrs (2x) without nursing. Apparently that we enough to jumpstart my fertility, and I got pregnant accidentally when we got back from that trip! So AF returned super-soon, but I wasn't actually fertile till much later.

#28 of 30 Old 05-23-2011, 02:29 PM

Mine came back at around 15 months pp, but was pretty irregular for another year or so after that. It's finally straightened out now, though is just as heavy as ever. (Was hoping it would lighten up post baby!) I was back to work full time at 10 weeks, pumped twice a day. He took bottles of breast milk while I was away and fed on demand (including during the night) whenever I was home. He sort of reverse cycled, really dropped his bottle-based consumption after a few weeks and upped his feedings later in the day. Just realized, I quit pumping at work around the same time my period came back!

Wife and mama to one awesome boy. love.gif
#29 of 30 Old 05-23-2011, 02:37 PM

13 months, and exclusively breastfed until 5.5 months. 

#30 of 30 Old 05-24-2011, 10:38 AM

With DS he was between 5-6 months when AF came back. I went back to work when he was 3 months and pumped 2x/day. We didn't co-sleep and he usually nursed once or twice a night.

With DD AF came back at exactly 3 months pp. I went back to work when she was 6 weeks, I pumped twice a day. We also co-sleep so I thought for sure I'd get a longer stretch w/o AF but nope!

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page