Mastitis with toddler nursing....too much? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I have a nursing 14month old. He was slow getting started on solids but eats solids well now, whatever the rest of the family is eating. He usually nurses 2-3xs during the day and usually 4-8 times during the night. I haven't had mastitis in over a year and thought I wouldn't get it again as my baby is getting so big. Then yesterday afternoon I developed mastitis, it came on suddenly and was extremely painful. My toddler has skipped nursing sessions before when we are out and about and he's too busy. I never had any problems in the past year. So after fever, chills, pain, etc set it, I went to er last night and got put on nystatin. The doctor also said that I am nursing him way too often, at 14 months he hardly needs any breast milk any more.

I know he nurses more at this age, then my oldest son did at the same age but I've figured that all babies are different and he would know how much he needs. He is a healthy toddler.

Does it sound like I am nursing him too often? I thought breast feeding on demand was ok? I never force him to nurse, he will climb up on me when he wants a snack and we both enjoy sleeping together night nursing. How often do/did your 14month old babies nurse?
#2 of 5 Old 04-26-2011, 01:08 PM

The doc doesn't know what he's talking about. there's no reason for a 14 month old to need to be limited. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/toddlernursing.html there's a huge range of what is "normal" for young toddlers. and some need the nutrition of breastmilk a lot more than others. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#3 of 5 Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your response! And for the link, that was very helpful and made me feel better about my nurslings routine smile.gif
#4 of 5 Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post

The doc doesn't know what he's talking about. there's no reason for a 14 month old to need to be limited. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/toddlernursing.html there's a huge range of what is "normal" for young toddlers. and some need the nutrition of breastmilk a lot more than others. 

yeahthat.gif

That doc is misinformed about nursing toddlers.

Hope you feel better soon, and joy.gifyay for you and your nursling!

#5 of 5 Old 05-01-2011, 06:03 PM

Almost all my son's calories were from nursing at that age. I had problems with mastitis due to missed feedings as well. Keeping the afflicted breast as empty as possible and resting were essential. Good Luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page