BF baby doesn't poop! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD3 is BF only and hasn't pooped in almost 6 days.  My other 2 breastfed babies pooped multiple times each day and despite having read that this could be normal (and the pedi stating it is normal for some 20% of babies), I'd love to hear confirmation that this is ok!  Her belly is soft and she's not fussy.  Also passes gas with no problem.  Others of you experienced this?  How long can they go and what do you do if they don't poop in say a week or ten days?  TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 04:40 PM

I have heard of babies going as long as 18 days and then having nightmarishly large poopy diapers for a few hours. Sounds scary to me... yikes2.gif

A few days, and even longer is fine. 

Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 PM

How old is your baby?

After about 6 weeks of age it is completely normal for exclusively breastfed babies to poop infrequently. They may go 7-14 days between poops! But they have lots of heavy wet diapers (at least 6 in 24 hours) and are gaining weight well. And when they do poop it is soft and mushy.

If baby is under 6 weeks of age, fewer than 2-3 poops a day may be a sign of breastfeeding issues and is worth looking into.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:38 PM

Agreeing with PatioGardener. Up until about six weeks or two months, this would concern me mildly-- it's not typical, and I would be wanting to confirm that it wasn't a sign that baby wasn't getting enough. Although even then, if baby was growing well and otherwise fine, I would stop worrying. The main issue with not pooping is whether baby is getting enough milk to remain hydrated and grow optimally.

But after about two months, I would just be thankful I wasn't having to change so many diapers, and making sure I kept a change of clothes on hand wherever I went, because when it comes, it's likely to come in a BIG WAY. eyesroll.gif

In any case, I would be looking for other reassuring signs-- lots of wet diapers, normal patterns of weight gain-- and if those are present, I wouldn't think twice about it. If baby is not wetting and gaining, I would be looking at ways to increase the amount of milk baby is getting.

I always envied the mamas of infrequent poopers. All of mine pooped multiple times a day all the way up until they weaned, and I got tired of the diapers after awhile.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 05-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Yep - my now 2 1/2 year old NEVER pooped (exclusively breastfed) and was completely fine. I didn't know how good I had it with the infrequent pooping until my darling newest addition showed up!!

OMG - poopy diaper to the extreme!! 

But yes - if you can rule out the possibility that he/she is not getting enough milk - I wouldn't concern myself.........just enjoy!!

(just FYI - I do remember that when my non-pooper was a few months old - sometimes she would become fussy and then take a few massive poops later that day - but they were mushy - I just figure it was uncomfortable for her. It didn't happen very often though - usually she passed her BM just fine)

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

Old 05-06-2011, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, this is really good info.  Annie, did your daughter who didn't poop have excessive wet pp diapers?  Or just normal? 

DD was five weeks on Wednesday; the lack of pooping started one week ago when she was four weeks, 1 day.  I have excessive milk and, as all 3 of mine were preemies, have also usually pumped to get my supply going initially.  I have stopped pumping with this 3rd baby (b/c of having milk and b/c it makes me engorged over and over) but still feel confident I have milk.  I can hear her swallowing and milk still drips after she stops eating.  HOWEVER, I have always had to wake her to feed and she couldn't eat more than every 3 hours early b/c of spitting it back up (likely due to preemie status and immature GI tract).  I also have focused on her feeding more on one breast to encourage more hindmilk intake as my other 2 often had green stools due to less hindmilk.  I have taken her weekly (except this week) to get weighed and she has consistently gained more than an ounce a day since birth.  Her diapers are typically completely, completely saturated with clear urine. 

But today, I have noticed a decrease in urine output.  Her last 2 diapers also have "smears" of poop.  She shows no distress or straining.  She has awoken to eat on her own (for about the last week, with some daily exceptions) every two hours OR LESS and fed almost every 1 1/2 hours for a four hour period last night.  Again, I feel I have milk, getting four-six or more ounces AFTER a feed when I pumped.  I can easily extract milk after she pulls off the breast.  She does feed quickly and fall asleep quickly, which was not an issue with my other two.  I have learned when I force her to wake up and eat more (same side or other), she tends to simply spit it up or retch. Of course I still try, changing her diaper and rousing her then offering the breast again.

I am concerned today more than other days.  I don't know if this is relevant or not, but my husband started a job out of town this week and I have had my 3 small kids on my own.  Since the baby sleeps very inconsistently (at night; great all day), I have been sleep-deprived and a bit sad at my husband's absence.  Knowing that stress could play in here.  Maybe I should start pumping again. 

Wondering should I take her to MD tomorrow or simply try to elicit a stool as the nurse recommended (e.g. rectal thermometer to stimulate, glycerin suppository)?  Thanks again...

Old 05-06-2011, 03:55 PM

There is no harm to trying the rectal stool trick. Use some baby oil to lubricate the thermometer or what ever you are using.

i had to use this method on my second daughter who's system was a bit slow when we got home from the birth. I seem to recall her not pooping for days. her poop was copious and soft when it came out. My sense with her was that the muscles or nerves were not quite developped.

Even if you do try this trick, i would see the dr if it keeps up. It seems like something might be up.

GL

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Having the poop inside her rather than out is not going to hurt her - so there is no need to try to force her to poop with rectal stimulation IMO. That won't 'fix' the issue (if there is one) that is keeping her from pooping.

The not pooping may be a sign that she isn't getting enough milk, or not enough hindmilk. Or this may be her normal pattern!

How early was your baby?

Third babies are hard - especially on your own hug2.gif. Do you have a local LLL? Maybe a leader would come and visit and weigh baby. Could you call someone to come over and watch the older two while you guys hang out and nurse?

Hang in there, Mama!

Old 05-06-2011, 04:33 PM

My fourth baby threw me for a loop at 3 wks when she stopped pooping.  All my other kids didn't start that until they were at least 6 wks old.  I of course got worried, called my midwife, called LLL, and ended up stimulating her just a bit and she went everywhere (I barely inserted the thermometer at all and she started pooping).  As soon as that came out she went right back to not pooping for 10 days or so.  After the first time I did not try to stimulate her, and she ended up pooping on the 11th day or so.  It was just her pattern.  Every baby is different.

You say she nurses quick and falls asleep quickly.  Sounds like she's just an efficient nurser or that her tummy is just so tiny she can't hold much at a time yet.  If she's spitting up after you try to rouse her and nurse her more, she's just full already.

Until today her diapers are good and wet, you said.  Could it be that today or last night she slept more than usual and because you are so tired you didn't think of it?  I'd give it another day and if it makes you feel better, then stimulate her slightly and see what you get.  It's not sending off warning signals for me at all, though.  Esp. w/how wet her dipes are normally.  

Really, unless there's a reason you NEED to pump, I'd simply nurse her rather than worrying about pumping.  Sounds like there are plenty of signals that you are making plenty of milk.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Old 05-07-2011, 10:11 AM

My first pooped several times a day.  My second once a day.  My third?  Once every 1.5-2 weeks.  But it was always soft and okay (and voluminous!) when it came out.  A friend of mine (LLL leader) likes to say that baby is just using every last drop of nutrients and has minimal waste.  He's still, at 14 months, not a frequent pooper.  I don't mind.  He's healthy and thriving.  I'd say take the whole picture into account, and if nothing else presents as an issue, you're fine.  Enjoy the minimal poops!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Old 05-07-2011, 01:01 PM

This is my DD too, was going to ask the same question.  My DD, 4.5 weeks, hasn't pooped in a week and is in discomfort. Talked to LLL and Dr on call and will try block feeding, massage and a bath with me. Dr was male and I could tell he was looking stuff up....wish I could have talked to her doc who is an LM, ND and a bf mama. Cut out dairy 2 weeks ago, seemed better, added back in 4 days ago and became an issue again. Think I need to give dairy time to move out, cut out again 2 days ago. She doesn't drain my breast very often, loves paci and often gets mad when I offer breast after done nursing and there is milk. Just wants to suck. So she's not lingering on the breast enough to get more fatty milk.Block feeding should help?  She'll be in for a WBV on Tues anyway so that is good.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 05-07-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

This is my DD too, was going to ask the same question.  My DD, 4.5 weeks, hasn't pooped in a week and is in discomfort. Talked to LLL and Dr on call and will try block feeding, massage and a bath with me. Dr was male and I could tell he was looking stuff up....wish I could have talked to her doc who is an LM, ND and a bf mama. Cut out dairy 2 weeks ago, seemed better, added back in 4 days ago and became an issue again. Think I need to give dairy time to move out, cut out again 2 days ago. She doesn't drain my breast very often, loves paci and often gets mad when I offer breast after done nursing and there is milk. Just wants to suck. So she's not lingering on the breast enough to get more fatty milk.Block feeding should help?  She'll be in for a WBV on Tues anyway so that is good.

Check out the link I posted earlier (also copied below) for the LLL info sheet on poops in young babies. They list several tips to try to help baby get more fatty milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post

If baby is under 6 weeks of age, fewer than 2-3 poops a day may be a sign of breastfeeding issues and is worth looking into.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:20 PM

If your child is content then don't worry.  Babies can go a long time without pooping. 

Old 05-07-2011, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

She pooped!  She pooped!!  That's my mother's day gift!!  smile.gif  Great to get so excited about poop, huh?  She pooped on her own last night and it was soft, typical.  Not excessive, though.  She immediately began having lots of urine output again after the poop.  I am so relieved and did not start pumping again (thank goodness!).  Maybe (as some PP have suggested) this little 35 weeker just has an immature system.  My 33- and 36-weekers were the same way, but with different issues.  My husband came home tonight after his first week away and said she had changed and grown so much.  That's encouraging although I might just pack everyone up and head to the breastfeeding support group meeting again this week where I can have her weighed... I am so grateful for the excellent links, suggestions, and support.  It truly made me feel better and gave me some direction.  Now we'll just see how long it takes next time as I remind myself each child is different!  I do have a good pediatrician who, with my first, would say "Don't over-analyze the poop!"  Good advice, I guess!  Thanks so very much to each one you!  Now if I could just figure out how to get her to sleep...Hee hee!! smile.gif

Old 05-07-2011, 03:32 PM

yay for poop! joy.gif And pee too lol.gif

the breastfeeding support group sounds like a good idea. Some times those early birds (35-38 weekers) can lose their way a little with breastfeeding, so it's important to keep an eye on things like you are. it's awesome that you are so in tune with her and follow your mama bear intuition! thumb.gif

happy mother's day!

and if you find the magic sleep ingredient please pm me! ROTFLMAO.gif

Old 05-07-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post

Check out the link I posted earlier (also copied below) for the LLL info sheet on poops in young babies. They list several tips to try to help baby get more fatty milk.

I did, and I appreciated the info.  It compelled me to make those couple calls (to LLL and on-call Dr) just to run it by someone. I took a bath with her, which she seemed to enjoy (then screamed bloody murder after as is her style when getting changed, etc) and am block feeding. I'm also using the colic massage that was posted in another thread. I hope it helps her!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

User Tag List