best slow flow nipples for ebf baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-08-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi.  I'm starting back to work in 3 weeks.  DH is a SAHD and will be caring for DD. DD is 8 weeks old and has had about 3 bottles so far.  She's taking them ok, but she sucks them down so fast.  This baby has a super-strong suck.  She empties a breast in 6-8 minutes. This morning he gave her one, and she inhaled it and then spit most of it up.  We have the evenflo glass bottles and the nipples that came with them.  There are so many on the market, and I am overwhelmed.  Any suggestions for good bottles for champion nursers?

#2 of 11 Old 05-09-2011, 05:19 AM

Unfortunately there is no standard for artificial nipples and no guarantee of the same flow even with the same brand and same nipple type! If I were you, I would test out a few (I am sure you will get some suggestions here) and make sure that they really are slow flow.

Also, here is a great website for you and your DH for bottlefeeding in a way that will help to preserve breastfeeding. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

and this is the same site in a great pamphlet: http://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/bottle_feeding.pdf

#3 of 11 Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 AM

There are other ways to mimic breastfeeding that aren't discussed in the above (great)links that I stumbled across a few months ago : Make sure the bottle is as parallel to the ground as possible, baby has to work harder that way; feed with frequent pauses, there are bottles that better mimic breastfeeding and might slow her down.. We used Dr. Brown's "Natural Flow" glass bottles when we had to bottle-feed, they seemed to work great!

#4 of 11 Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 PM

I've been happy with slow-flow, wide base nipples from Medela. That is all I used though, but I had a successful bf relationship with my now 2yo, and he had bottles off and on as an infant and never had problems going back to the breast (ie preferring the bottle too much). He actually started refusing bottles at 8mo, plus the paci.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#5 of 11 Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 AM

We got these with my first a couple of years ago

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-First-Years-Breastflow-Bottle-Starter-Set-BPA-Free/10877977

but ended up not using them much because I quit my job to stay at home. They have their own plastic (BPA free) bottles and I don't think they would be compatible with glass bottles, so if you're set on the glass, this won't help, but I found it took my daughter a lot longer to get the milk our of these because of the double nipple.

#6 of 11 Old 05-11-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywilson82 View Post

We got these with my first a couple of years ago

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-First-Years-Breastflow-Bottle-Starter-Set-BPA-Free/10877977

but ended up not using them much because I quit my job to stay at home. They have their own plastic (BPA free) bottles and I don't think they would be compatible with glass bottles, so if you're set on the glass, this won't help, but I found it took my daughter a lot longer to get the milk our of these because of the double nipple.

I second these bottles. I LOVE them! DS2 had to be hospitalized with Jaundice at 5days old. I have DS1 at home who is 3 and ws severly missing momma. Long story short I pumped and used these bottles so I could be at home with Ds1 during the day and then stayed with DS2 at the hospital to nurse at night. He had no problem going back and forth between bottle and breast and never had a spit up problem with these. It also took him about 15mins to empty 2oz and he eats on the breast for about 25mins, so very similar. Hope you find something that works for you!

Mommabfinfant.gif of DS1 (9/07)jammin.gif and DS2 (4/11)babyboy.gif and blessed with my wonderful DH of 6yrssuperhero.gif     
#7 of 11 Old 05-15-2011, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Subbing...

No help here.  We're trying a bottle for the first time this week.  We have an Avent nipple and a Playtex low flow and both seem really fast to me.  The baby has so much milk in her mouth before she even really starts to experiment with the nipple.  

Looking forward to suggestions.  

If you don't mind a tag along question...which nipples can be used with which bottles?  Are all of them seriously for just the particular bottle or can come be used interchangeably?  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#8 of 11 Old 05-16-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Subbing...

No help here.  We're trying a bottle for the first time this week.  We have an Avent nipple and a Playtex low flow and both seem really fast to me.  The baby has so much milk in her mouth before she even really starts to experiment with the nipple.  

Looking forward to suggestions.  

If you don't mind a tag along question...which nipples can be used with which bottles?  Are all of them seriously for just the particular bottle or can come be used interchangeably?  

In my experince when I've tried to mix different brands of nipples and bottles they always leaked, not 100% sure though

Mommabfinfant.gif of DS1 (9/07)jammin.gif and DS2 (4/11)babyboy.gif and blessed with my wonderful DH of 6yrssuperhero.gif     
#9 of 11 Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 AM

If you want a REALLY slow flow nipple the best one, hands down, is Dr. Brown's preemie nipples. You should be able to find them at BRU. My daughter has oral issues and is not very coordinated and she uses this super-slow nipple. I bought many different kinds of nipples to find the one with the slowest flow.

With my son who did not have any oral issues I used the Avent newborn nipples and these worked well for him. I always nursed him when I was around and I never actually gave him a bottle, so I am not sure how fast he drank it. But he never developed a bottle preference or anything like that.

Baby Boy 9/08 & Baby Girl 3/11

#10 of 11 Old 05-16-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all.  I bought the breastflow bottle, and according to DH she had her best bottle feed yet.

#11 of 11 Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Glad it worked out for you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page