Would you complain to WIC about this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2011, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been trying to hunt down a pump that I can afford for a while now.  I have a birth coming up (I am a doula) next month.  I also work at least 8 hours per day every day, typing at home.  My husband watches the other kids while I work but that eight hours gets drug out all day long since I have to do everything for the baby with no help.  I then end up working til one or two and getting three or four hours of sleep.  I love breastfeeding, I refuse to give it up and if this is what I have to do I will. I can't give up work, I am the only source of income for a family of 6.  The last time I went to my WIC office I was told that I couldn't get a pump because I didn't have a job.

I explained that I worked from home and the WIC nutritionist told me that she would have to send off and make a special request to the state for me to get a pump and they would say no, she brushed it off in a way that I can't really describe with just words, she was very dismissive, like me wanting a pump was ludicrous.  She then told me soon after that, that I could come in and switch to formula anytime I was ready without even having to wait for the month to end...

I sat on that for a while, in fact it's been about two months now.  I got frustrated tonight and emailed the state WIC office to lodge a complaint about what happened and then ask if there was some way I could get a pump, even if I had to rent it for a low price.  I found out a friend who doesn't work, and her nutritionist is completely aware of this there was no underhanded stuff going on, got a double electric from another clinic without question.

Now I feel guilty, like I should have left well enough alone. I am certain they are going to forward this email to the nutritionist and I am going to have to deal with her because I have no other option as far as I know.  There are three WIC offices in my city but they are divided by where you live and you have to go to the one in your area as far as I know.  I have heard her being rude to other moms, even one that was crying with a lactose intolerant baby, story to long to explain here. Anyway...  I guess I shouldn't have done this.  What do you all think?

Resigned from teaching to be a doula and freelance writer.  run.gifMommy to blahblah.gif (06/05) and Peace.gif(05/07) and bouncy.gif(09/09) and fly-by-nursing2.gif(02/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 03:00 AM

I think you did the right thing. I got to rent one and didn't have a job. the only situation where I wouldn't had been able to is if they were out. there are also 3 WIC's in my area. 1 has the nice ones, second one are ancient and I don't know about the third. You could call around and see who has any available and what kind and then switch offices. I ended up switching offices due to the place I was at was just plain rude, didn't speak english (literally) and would make me wait hours to get in even though I was there first and at the time the other one offered a nurse at home program.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 AM

If it is a pump you won't use regularly, check out Craigslist.  I sold my used Pump in Style for $20 and there are lots out there for cheaper.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:47 AM

Forget it.  I just realized you aren't really asking for where to get a pump for cheap...

Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

PoorLittleFish,

I will check out Craigslist/Ebay.  I am going to continue to look for a pump I can afford.  Thank you for the advice.

More than anything I was bothered by the way she brushed me off like my job didn't matter and then telling me that I could go ahead and get formula, whenever I was ready.  THEN to find out that other nutritionist give pumps out to women who've never claimed to have a job....  It would be different if they were out of pumps or if they didn't have them at all.   I didn't even really mean for the letter to be a complaint, but more a request for more information.  We have one of the lowest breastfeeding rates in the country and WIC Here is completely and totally unsupportive of breastfeeding.  When I was in another state during my pregnancy and first got on WIC, everything was different there.  They had breastfeeding posters up everywhere, signs saying it is ok to breastfeed your baby anywhere in this office, they assigned every woman a breastfeeding counselor, there were classes based around it that you had to take in person to keep getting supplements.  Here you take your classes online on whatever  you want, there are no posters related to breastfeeding, no assigned counselors, and I was told you can get formula whenever you are ready and if you want I've got some reusable breast pads. dizzy.gif Unfortunately I think it came out complainey because of the whole formula thing. 

Resigned from teaching to be a doula and freelance writer.  run.gifMommy to blahblah.gif (06/05) and Peace.gif(05/07) and bouncy.gif(09/09) and fly-by-nursing2.gif(02/11)

Old 05-24-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower223 View Post

More than anything I was bothered by the way she brushed me off like my job didn't matter

I know... I WAH and I am the main breadwinner for our family (right now, the ONLY breadwinner) and yet I always feel like people think my job doesn't 'count' because I'm not sitting in an office all day. Even my co-workers treat me differently since I started WAH'ing. It's really frustrating, because it's just as much a 'real job' as it ever was... I chose to WAH primarily for BF'ing purposes (lots of other reasons though, i.e. to be with DS all day, to save on childcare...) but I am doing the exact same job I was doing in the office, and doing it just as well...

Anyway. I don't know much about WIC & I'm sorry that local office seems not at all supportive of BF'ing. irked.gif I hope your complaint somehow makes a difference in their attitudes... or that you at least get your pump!!! I'll second checking CL as well as your local thrift stores...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM

btw, they gave me formula AND a breast pump. I couldn't get the darn milk out so they allowed me to try and to give formula. And be careful getting a pump as you can't clean blood/milk out of the actual device and you don't know what's going into baby's tummy.So make sure it's the right machine

Old 05-25-2011, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

The local WIC office where I'm at has strict pump policies just because the supply of pumps is limited, we only get x amount a year. There are different "tiers" of pumps and who qualifies for them varies on what type of pump it is, their job, baby's age, how committed they are to bfing, if there is any supplementation going on... It bites, and we try to do what we can but not everyone gets a pump that wants one. greensad.gif That being said, the comment about just switching to formula was out of line and despite her being doubtful that the waiver would go through, she should of tried. We try anything we can to get pumps for our moms. I think you were right in reporting this employee. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:01 PM

I would inquire at another WIC office.  There are 3 in our area as well and at times you can get an appointment in a different office.  

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 PM

Just because you are in need of WIC services doesn't mean that you don't deserve to be treated with respect.  It was inappropriate for her to dismiss your concern &  and refuse to make the special request, even if the state office ended up refusing the request. AND it's totally inappropriate for her to suggest formula to you in your situation as well.

I don't think you should feel bad for lodging a complaint. In fact, you should lodge another complaint if you feel like you are getting any kind of retribution from this woman for making the first complaint.  

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Old 05-29-2011, 02:20 AM

The WIC office where I work used to run out of pumps half way through the year before my supervisor started pushed for only issuing pumps to women who were working full time, able to show proof of return to work and not supplementing with formula. I don't know about your state, but here the number of pumps each county gets is based on their breastfeeding rates and even then there are not nearly enough to go around. I don't think this is right, but it is what it is and there have been times where I have had to make hard choices about who to give or loan a pump to and who not to. Women who are able to nurse while working would go to the bottom of my list unless I had a big stockpile of pumps. That's not to be mean. It is so I don't end up with another women who is forced to formula feed because the last pump went to someone who could have done without it.

The formula comment from the nutritionist was inappropriate. Honestly though I've told plenty of women that they can come back for formula because they are so terrified that if they walk out with a fully breastfeeding package that they will not be able to get formula if they need it (and most assume they will need it).

User Tag List