Breastfeeding & Poop? TMI - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-04-2011, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS is 2 months he is EBF. he normally has 4-5 yellowish poops everyday. He pooped on 5/25 then not again until 5/28 then not until 6/1 & then until this morning. I want to ask if this is normal but I know it is not his normal. The poops are brown very liquid like yet sorta sticky like honey. And smell very foul.

Anyways some insight from experienced mama's would be great.

#2 of 13 Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 AM

Normally I wouldn't worry about this sort of thing, however it's the change in colour and smell that sends the alarm bells ringing, I would take him to the dr just to make sure that all is well. 

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#3 of 13 Old 06-05-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. I had read things that said it is normal for them to only poop once a week and others that it is normal to go several times a day. But yeah for it to all of a sudden happen I was like hummm... Thought maybe other moms would have insight for me. I did make him a appointment for tomorrow morning.

#4 of 13 Old 06-05-2011, 09:25 AM

Yes, a decrease (which can be quite sudden, I believe) is totally normal after around 6 weeks (so at 2 months the decrease alone wouldn't normally be cause for concern).  But the smell would indicate that something may not be quite right with your little one's tummy.  Most likely it's not serious, particularly if there are no other signs that anything is amiss, but always better to get it checked it out.  Please let us know how he gets on at the doctor!

xx

#5 of 13 Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 AM

#6 of 13 Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 AM

I agree that the smell and color change would be the part that's really concerning, if nothing in his diet has changed. Has something in your diet changed that he may be reacting to possibly? My son doesnt have sensitivity to anything in particular that I eat (which is awesome because I LOVE spicy foods) but some babies apparently can be sensitive to certain foods their mama eats. So if you've eaten anything new lately, or something you hadnt eaten in a while, that could possibly be part of it.

As for how often babies poop, once they get past the newborn stage, it doesnt have to be so cut and dry. My BF 6 month old went from more than one poop per day to just one big one, and now he sometimes goes a day or two without pooping. His poops are healthy and smell fine (except when he's eaten baby food, then watch out for the smell!) and I know he's fine. Babies are humans, and lots of people dont poop every day, which is fine according to Dr. Oz. Of course, more than a couple days and I'd start to worry about constipation.

I hope the doc is able to help figure out the specific issue!

#7 of 13 Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 AM

So how d'you get on at the Dr?

#8 of 13 Old 06-06-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I pulled that link up to read in a little bit. The doctor said that it's normal to decrease in poop and that he is not too concerned about the color or smell. He thinks it is something I ate that cause the color and smell issue. He asked about diet change and I did give up eating Peanut Butter about a month ago cause it seemed he was getting a rash from it. (He has not had that rash since maybe a week or so after I last ate PB.) So DR said to call him in a week or so if Im still concerned.

DS did have another Large (read: up his back and out of his leg holes) bm this afternoon that was looking to be more yellowish than so brown. And seedy looking to. Not a horrible smell this time either. Made me wish I had waited a wee bit longer on getting concerned but we live and learn.

Again thank you.

Fynns Mommy likes this.
#9 of 13 Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 PM

Yeah - you know sometimes we can wait, but then, if we do then things can go badly quickly, my sis and her 3rd child - he had a bad cold but she thought he'd get over it and didn't take him to the dr, he ended up in an oxygen tent and in hospital for over 10 days!  I think you did well going to the dr and now you are more reassured. Personally I think it's good mothering!

#10 of 13 Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Nothing to do with the health issues, but whenever my kid had a diaper blowout, I found that going up a size in diapers was a good idea, even if he hadn't reached the weight limit. 

#11 of 13 Old 06-11-2011, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well DS did not go again after I posted on the 6th until this morning. I feel like he should be going more.....I know he is getting enough milk he is gaining weight like a champ 9.2 @ birth and 14.3 @ 2 months. He is having lots of wet diapers. He does seem crankier than normal. I'll be calling the DR again on Monday. Anyone out there have any suggestions? 

#12 of 13 Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 PM

If they seem to have returned to normal color and smell, at his age I would not be concerned about less frequency.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#13 of 13 Old 06-12-2011, 09:30 PM

Not pooping for 6 days at this age is well within the realms of normal.  If there are any other indications that something is amiss, then do follow up on those, but a simple decrease in frequency is to be expected.

You might find this page helpful, written by Paula Yount (linked to from Kellymom).

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/normal.htm#NormalStools

Excerpt:

"At around the age of six weeks, the stooling pattern of a breastfed baby may change. It is not uncommon for the breastfed baby to skip days between bowel movements. Some babies skip every other day, some go every two or three days, some once every 5 - 7 days, and some babies hold out for up to 11 or 12 days at a time - then have quite a FULL diaper when they DO go!"

HTH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page