2 week old nursing/napping at the breast almost constantly during the day... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-18-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my fourth baby and the fourth that I've nursed, so I've been around the block a bit, but never had a child that nurses/naps to this extreme. I can't put her down, literally. She can be dead asleep after nursing for a long time (and falling off the breast) and I'll lay her down.  Five min later, she's up looking for the breast.  Even if I nurse her laying down and get up when she's concked out, she wakes with-in mins.

I feel like literally 98% of my day is either nursing her or trying to keep her asleep.  I'm having a hard time getting anything else done.  I'm trying not to get frustrated, but I am.  I keep telling myself it won't last forever, but...

Oh, she cluster feeds from about 6-10 or 11pm.  I understand that's normal, but after her hanging on my nipple most of the day, it's killing them. 

I've also tried nursing in my ring sling, but I can't get it to work right.  She also doesn't like to rock to sleep, just NURSE.  Even after she's been nursing for awhile, she doesn't like to rock to sleep.  Ugh!

Suggestions are welcome as are kind words.  Thanks so much!

#2 of 5 Old 06-18-2011, 08:05 PM

my DD was like that. I now know that part of it was that she had a posterior tongue-tie, so she needed to nurse more than most to get the nutrition she needed. it did start to get better as she got older (at about 2-3 months)

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#3 of 5 Old 06-25-2011, 01:01 PM

My son nursed and napped like that.  It gets so much better.  When he was able to grasp toys and check out the world around him he began to spend a little less time attached to my breasts.  My nipples were so sore I cried thinking of my goal of nursing until he self weaned.  It got so much better at around 6 weeks and now at 5 months he still nurses often but not for as long as he did in the beginning and he even takes naps on his own although he still nurses to sleep.  Hang in there, it'll get better :)

#4 of 5 Old 06-25-2011, 07:27 PM

i am experiencing some of the same (in fact i am typing one handed right now) she will let go of my breast once she is asleep however, if i lay her in her cosleeper right next to me she will wake up right away and look for the breast.at night i hold her while we sleep, during the day i can have dh or dd hold her but that is all that works. i dont have any advice but just wanted to let you know your not alone. i just keep reminding myself that dd1 was the same and by around 4 months it got better. good luck love.gif

#5 of 5 Old 06-26-2011, 08:03 AM

My son was that way for a very long time. He'd nurse and fall asleep. Once he was deep asleep, if moved, he would be awake again and refuse to do anything but nurse again. 5 minutes of nursing and back to sleep to repeat the pattern. Even after a couple hours of napping on my lap, he'd still just wake up to be changed, then nurse back to sleep again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page