I've changed my mind... is it too late? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-22-2011, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

To start with, I'll make it clear that I know my body can produce a full supply, as I exclusively nursed my last child.

For many reasons, I started out combo feeding my second baby. It made things much, much easier in the beginning- but now, she is starting to be awfully screamy after drinking formula. If I can pump and give 50/50 bottles, she does much better... but then I'm pumping during the day, rather than directly nursing her, and I find that it hurts my supply more than I'm willing to allow.

She nurses at night, and has no issues. She also nurses during the day, but I've trained my body to only produce about half of what she needs during the day, and that is now a problem. Also, because she never spent all day on the breast, she doesn't like to nurse past finishing the first letdown- and I know that nursing on a, 'empty' breast is a large part of what tells my body to produce more. But she pulls off, and I'm not about to force her and create negative associations.

So... anyone bring in a full supply 1 month postpartum, without going to extreme lengths? My choices are start the quest for the formula that she can tolerate, try different bottles, etc... or up my supply. I prefer to increase my supply, of course. I currently make about 2/3 of what she takes in. 

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#2 of 9 Old 06-22-2011, 11:14 AM

Can you pump some after she nurses? that should increase your supply.

#3 of 9 Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 AM

also try switch-feeding. nurse on the first side until she pulls off, burp, go to the second side, repeat until she won't latch at all. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#4 of 9 Old 06-22-2011, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My suggestion would be to pick one of the following two methods and give it 100% of your effort.

A)  Buy a SNS and fill it with formula.  ONLY nurse her, no bottles.  Make sure she's getting a drink through the whole nursing to encourage her to keep sucking.  Before you know it, you'll be making loads of BM during the day.

or

B)  Have a nursing marathon.  Get both of you together in bed skin-to-skin and just spend a few days doing nothing but nursing.

Either method will get the supply up super fast, but it also couldn't hurt to eat lots of oatmeal or have a beer or two if you are a drinker.

Bring back the old MDC
#5 of 9 Old 06-22-2011, 01:42 PM

The lactation consultant I saw told me that there are very conclusive studies that show that at least 4 hours per day of skin to skin contact is best for production. Mothers who get at least that much skin to skin time per day nurse more often and produce more.

#6 of 9 Old 06-22-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissamom View Post

also try switch-feeding. nurse on the first side until she pulls off, burp, go to the second side, repeat until she won't latch at all. 

this methods works for my babe when he gets frustrated at one breast.

Good luck!

(also, there are some herbs and foods that may help.)

#7 of 9 Old 06-22-2011, 05:00 PM

It's not too late! A LC once told me that the window of opportunity to increase supply is wide open until about six weeks.
I totally agree with the suggestion to get a SNS and use it for the formula supplementation. It will keep your babe at the breast longer, stimulating your supply. I'd also suggest pumping after feeds with a double electric pump. You can put whatever you pump in the SNS and it will charge up your supply.
If you don't see a big improvement, you could also consider trying domperidone.
Good luck!

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#8 of 9 Old 06-22-2011, 06:23 PM

I've never used an SNS, so I don't know how well this would work, but I would put her to the breast and only use the SNS for formula once she gets to the point where she's getting frustrated with the lack of milk. if you decide to go the SS route. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#9 of 9 Old 06-23-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

If I already had an SNS, I'd try it. Not quite to that point yet. Right now I'm just putting her to the breast more often, and drinking fenugreek/nettle/alfalfa tea. I'm down from needing 8oz of supplement to 6oz. so thats good.

I suppose I'm really just trying to increase my supply- making something like 18oz of breastmilk a day is probably enough that for my body, it won't be a huge deal to increase up to 24-28. I was initially thinking it might be more of a challenge but we should be fine.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page