How should your nipples look after pumping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-26-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas,

I just started pumping a few days ago. I pump about 2-3 oz each day so that DH can feed DS once a day (he loves being able to feed the kiddo).

Pumping isn't really any more uncomfortable than BF'ing for me. So there's a little pain, but not too bad.

My concern is how my breast looks after pumping. My nipple is not only really stretched out, it's swollen. Like the actual nipple looks about 2 to 3 times as big around as it did before I started the pump.

It goes down after I'm done pumping, but I'm still a bit concerned. Is this normal? Does it mean I have the wrong size shield? Just don't want to unwittingly do any damage to my nipples with the pump.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#2 of 5 Old 06-27-2011, 12:33 PM

I find my nipple look larger, somewhat swollen after pumping too. I don't know if this is normal or correct, but it happens to me too.

#3 of 5 Old 06-29-2011, 10:56 AM

A friend of mine asked me if they were supposed to look like "a top hat" when she was done.  That's about the best description I've ever heard. orngbiggrin.gif

Try playing with the position of the pump on your nipple if the amount of the swelling concerns you, though some temporary swelling is typical.

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#4 of 5 Old 06-29-2011, 02:58 PM

mine definitely looked REALLY stretched out and fatter. they just shrank down in size really quickly afterwards. i was amazed my nipples could even LOOK like that :)

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#5 of 5 Old 07-04-2011, 10:42 PM

I ended up needing larger "horns" for my pump- my nipples get huge when I pump! Don't worry, they go back down within 30 minutes or so and there seems to be no lasting problems. It does look kind of gross though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page