Nursing and shift work - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-26-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going back to work in one week, and I'll be away from DS for over 12 hours (my 12 hr shifts are 7 - 7, two days, followed by two nights) at a time, so on day shifts, I'll be gone before he wakes up, and back around the time he goes to bed, so in essence, I won't see him at all! Terrible.

How do I keep nursing? Any tips or suggestions from moms who are away from their kids for long stretches of time? I know I'll have some engorgement and my body will have to adjust, and I have a breast pump. But I'm worried about still feeling connected to DS.  

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#2 of 4 Old 06-26-2011, 07:24 PM

Hi atpeace. I was in the same boat as you going back to work. I am an ER nurse and work 7-7 12 hr shifts also. I found that I had to pump at LEAST 3 times per shift to keep up my supply and just to feel as if I wouldnt explode. It really stinks being away from my LO during these shifts too. I would usually wake him up early to feed him before a shift. It gives us some time together and it really helps with not having to pump right when I got to work. My DS usually would fall right back to sleep after nursing so waking him up wasnt a big glitch in his schedule. We are now at 13 months and going strong with the nursing. Lately I havent had to pump at all at work. Due to his solid food intake we are only nursing about 3-4 times in a 24hr period. Your employer should provide a nice quiet spot for you to use your pump. It is actually a law now here in the US. I would assume Canada would have a similar take on breast feeding. My advice is to try the early morning nursing session, it really worked for us. Good luck to you!

A Mommy In Love!!!

#3 of 4 Old 07-01-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Orionsmama! I think I'll do the early morning nursing when I wake up (he can nurse in his sleep anyway, so it probably won't be too disruptive for him) and then when I get home. Hopefully, my body will adjust pretty quickly, because to be honest, pumping is a hassle for me. How long did it take you to not have to pump anymore? The past few weeks, DS has been at daycare some days for about 6 hours and during that time I've never had to pump, so I'm thinking pumping once during my 12 hour shift will work. Maybe not. I just hate having to add pumping to my limited break time at work (plus the setting up and the dismantling and the washing the pump, when I would rather be chatting with co-workers or going for a walk or reading). 

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#4 of 4 Old 07-01-2011, 10:15 PM

Hi again. My little guy turned one 2 weeks ago and coincidentally that was the last day I pumped at work. I was only pumping once a shift a few months ago and my supply really started to dwindle. At the advice of a few girlfriends with children the same age as mine, they suggested I pump at least twice a shift. (Being a rookie mommy it is hard to know how much is enough) I have to say it did make a huge increase in supply. It would only take me about 10minutes to pump ( I have a double pump which makes all the difference) Check on the laws in Canada about breastfeeding. Employers here must give mothers a private room, that is not a bathroom, to pump in up to the childs first birthday. Believe me, pumping was not something I enjoyed but it did allow me to keep nursing my son for the first year of his life and hopefully into his second...fingers crossed. I also just did a quick rinse of the pump while at work and then sterilized it when I got home. A quick rinse saves loads of time instead of a full cleaning while on the clock.

A Mommy In Love!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page