Eliminating foods- how hardcore do you have to be? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-28-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am about to try to eliminate dairy to get a handle on some extreme nighttime fussiness/severe gas issues my 3.5 week old little man is having. My question is this - how hardcore does the elimination have to be? As someone with a bunch of food allergies myself, I am used to being very diligent about removing things from my diet, but does removing dairy for him mean just stop eating the obvious things like milk, cheese, etc or do I have search ingredients for whey and casien as well? Can I eat bread that has a dairy ingredient?

I'm currently caffiene, soy, gluten, and egg free (as well a bunch of random fruits and veg I am allergic to) so dairy is the most likely culprit at the moment. If cutting out dairy doesn't help then I dunno what else it could possibly be, honestly. 

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#2 of 13 Old 06-28-2011, 01:08 PM

I was pretty hard core about it. It was a drag at first, because so many of the things we ate regularly had some form of dairy in them. I'm not gonna say that a few things might have slipped through or been overlooked on special occasions like eating out. But I was pretty careful to not order things that are commonly made with dairy, and we rarely eat out. I guess I figured if I'm gonna go for it I want to do it all the way.

It paid off, and I'm glad I did. No way to know at this point if I would have gotten the same results with less diligence.

:
#3 of 13 Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 PM

I am hard core about it too. I am completely off dairy, wheat, eggs and peanuts/treenuts.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#4 of 13 Old 06-28-2011, 09:22 PM

I don't see the point if it's not strict.

Sandrine likes this.
#5 of 13 Old 06-29-2011, 06:07 PM

My YDS got really fussy at that age(and had some mucous-y poo) but just cutting out the obvious dairy was enough.  I never worried about hidden dairy and was able to add yogurt and cheese back into my diet at around 7 mos.

#6 of 13 Old 07-02-2011, 10:27 AM

I'd say pretty hardcore. The good part about being very strict is that you most likely won't need to go back and do it again! I recently did a total elimination diet (wild game and pure fruits/veggies and certain nuts) and it sucked! But it only took about a month to figure out dd was struggling with soy, and ds and I have dairy and corn sensitivies on top of celiac which we already knew. Im very strict about the soy now and corn and I try to avoid all milk derevetives although I sometimes let whey slide. Belly and sleep issues now totally gone!

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#7 of 13 Old 07-05-2011, 06:35 AM

I'd say you can be strict for a period of time -- I haven't BTDT so I'm not sure how much time is appropriate, maybe a couple of weeks? -- to see if it makes any difference in your LO, and then if you're noticing a change, you can decide to start adding small amounts of dairy back in to see if it has any effect. 

Not to hijack, but -- I'm about to go dairy-free, too, for a while, to see if it helps reduce the gas problems both I and my LO have been having.  If anyone else has BTDT, I'd be interested to know what the period of time is that is recommended for remaining "strict" with elimination of a particular food.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#8 of 13 Old 07-06-2011, 03:53 PM

I had to be very strict with it while I was eliminating some sensitive foods. Also, it helped with my baby's early gas/fussing issues to start giving him a probiotic. Previously he would always do these huge burps, multiple times a feeding, was majorly gassy, etc. When I added a probiotic those issues just stopped within a cuople of days.

#9 of 13 Old 07-07-2011, 05:04 PM

Honestly, a week of very strict elimination is usually enough for babe - but since you're looking for yourself too, I'd recommend at least 2 weeks. I did a month, because I knew I already had intestinal damage and knew it was going to take time to see a difference before I could feel better enough to note differences when adding things back in. You'd be amazed how long your body can hold onto pieces of gunk in there! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post

I'd say you can be strict for a period of time -- I haven't BTDT so I'm not sure how much time is appropriate, maybe a couple of weeks? -- to see if it makes any difference in your LO, and then if you're noticing a change, you can decide to start adding small amounts of dairy back in to see if it has any effect. 

Not to hijack, but -- I'm about to go dairy-free, too, for a while, to see if it helps reduce the gas problems both I and my LO have been having.  If anyone else has BTDT, I'd be interested to know what the period of time is that is recommended for remaining "strict" with elimination of a particular food.

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#10 of 13 Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 PM

I went 90 days on the recommendation of my nutritionist.  This was a pre pregnancy thing to get healthy again.  I was anemic due to mal-absorption in my intestines.  It really helped!  No more indigestion, constipation, bad gas etc.  We eliminated wheat, dairy, sugar and some foods specific to my our body chemistry.  I dumped 30 lbs and DH 50.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#11 of 13 Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 PM

I agree that you have to be very hardcore for at least two weeks to verify that what you are eliminating is indeed the culprit. That was adequate for us in determining dairy and then eggs were a problem  for DS.

At 3.5 weeks, I would continue to be very diligent because you want to avoid irritating his little digestive tract as much as possible. Once my son was older (7-8 months), I could gradually be a little more careless about hidden dairy without noticeable effect (and when he was very young it was obvious any time I had the slightest bit of dairy). But in addition to external symptoms, the less irritation of the digestive tract, the better for his health.

#12 of 13 Old 07-12-2011, 09:08 PM

i am just going to go against everyone else just becasue i just learned this last night and because you have allergies.. i have a 9 mo old, my 3rd baby to react to dairy in my diet.. yet, here at 9.5 mo (just like the otehr two) i introduced dairy (yogurt) directly to her and she has no reaction. nothing. zero..  this from a girl who projectile vomits if I eat too much dairy and has since she was 2 weeks old .. i have never cut it out totally "hardcore"because when i cut out obvious dairy but not every tiny little thing, her symptoms were gone..  the point here is that turns out, I am the one with the dairy issue and my babies are very likely responding to my allergic reaction.. the antibiodies my body produces in my milk  .. and i guess i only produce enough of them to bother a baby when i eat a lot of dairy, and even with a lot of dairy, the reaction gets milder as the baby gets older/bigger - looking back, my son weighed much more than my daughters did and he only reacted to dairy in my diet until he was about 4-5 mo (18-20lbs, the same weight my almost 10 mo old is now)  ..trying to reintroduce obvious dairy into my diet is now causing me to react and my DD's reaction is very mild ..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#13 of 13 Old 07-13-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdtm99 View Post

i am just going to go against everyone else just becasue i just learned this last night and because you have allergies.. i have a 9 mo old, my 3rd baby to react to dairy in my diet.. yet, here at 9.5 mo (just like the otehr two) i introduced dairy (yogurt) directly to her and she has no reaction. nothing. zero..  this from a girl who projectile vomits if I eat too much dairy and has since she was 2 weeks old .. i have never cut it out totally "hardcore"because when i cut out obvious dairy but not every tiny little thing, her symptoms were gone..  the point here is that turns out, I am the one with the dairy issue and my babies are very likely responding to my allergic reaction.. the antibiodies my body produces in my milk  .. and i guess i only produce enough of them to bother a baby when i eat a lot of dairy, and even with a lot of dairy, the reaction gets milder as the baby gets older/bigger - looking back, my son weighed much more than my daughters did and he only reacted to dairy in my diet until he was about 4-5 mo (18-20lbs, the same weight my almost 10 mo old is now)  ..trying to reintroduce obvious dairy into my diet is now causing me to react and my DD's reaction is very mild ..

Many people--of any age--respond very differently to yogurt than to any other dairy product because of the fermentation process.

So that is great news about your daughter, but might not mean that she has no dairy sensitivity in other forms. From what I understand, in general yogurt is not a reliable test of a dairy sensitivity. Many people (including my 13 month old son, as of 6weeks ago) can eat yogurt fine but still has symptoms with other dairy--though I can now eat cheese with no adverse effect on him and it rocks yummy.gif

The reaction we see in infants to dairy (as well as soy, egg, and other proteins) is not technically an allergy (meaning your body's immune system identifies it as a toxin to your system and causing symptoms like hives, rash, respiratory reaction like the stereotypical peanut allergy or bee sting) but is usually referred to as a "sensitivity," meaning your digestive system is not able to digest those proteins, causing vomiting. That can cause immune system problems, apparently, if you continue to be exposed to the irritating food because of the close link between digestive and immune systems, but it is different from an allergy. That is why avoiding caseins is important--because those are dairy proteins, albeit without the sugars. But if yogurt works okay, that is great news.

And people do not usually outgrow allergies (though it can happen) but usually outgrow digestive sensitivities. You can die from exposure to an allergy like nuts and bee stings (and you are having an immune system response, producing antibodies, etc) but people do not die from exposure to a food sensitivity (unless you throw up or have diarrhea so much you get dehydrated).

etsdtm99, I wonder if  you think you had this sensitivity (or allergy? not sure on your symptoms . . . )  before or if it developed in you later?

I have spoken with several people who are saying that an adult who refrains from dairy for an extended period might lose the ability to digest it and develop a senstivity (though that might result in a different response than babies' throwing up; often adults get diarrhea instead, usually associated with lactose intolerance--the inability to digest dairy sugars, rather than dairy proteins). This causes different symptoms than an allergy, with an immune symptom response such as hives, trouble breathing, etc.

I have been aware of still avoiding large amounts of dairy myself, and am trying to pay attention to how my body reacts as I reintroduce various forms.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page