Natural treatment for breast infection - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-06-2004, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems that I have a breast infection in my left breast.

I've talked to my midwife. She suggests 2,000 mg Vit-C every 2 hours, lots of water, lots of nursing, and lots of rest.

Any more suggestions?

It hurts so bad when he latches on.''

She said that this is caused by doing too much after the baby is born. Could this be? I didn't really think I had done that much! I've taken better care of myself after this baby than any of my others.''

Help!

Blessings,
#2 of 5 Old 04-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Banned

Welcome to the boards!!!

What kind of infection is it (mastitis, yeast/thrush?)

Do you have a lump, or is it just in the nipple? Here's a link to more info on mastitis if that's the case: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

You can also find info on thrush at kellymom.com

Hope you feel better soon!
#3 of 5 Old 04-07-2004, 12:51 AM

I've had good luck with applying heat (I use a rice-filled sock heated in the microwave) to the infected breast and under the armpit. Also, I took Belladonna (homeopathic remedy) at the first sign of mastitis, and followed the other recommendations that you've been given (LOTS of nursing on infected side, rest and water). I didn't take the vitamin C, though, and that's good to add to my list of remedies! Thanks. If it's thrush, the treatment is different. I've been through that, too, if you need more help with that. Good luck and keep going!!
#4 of 5 Old 04-07-2004, 01:20 PM

I would soak my breast in a pan of hot water and Eopsom salts and do some hand expressions before pumping/nursing (I exclusively pump). You can also take some Lecithin to help get the milk flowing.

After pumping/nursing, I applied cold to the breast to reduce swelling. Taking Ibubrofin also reduces swelling and can help with the soreness.

Then I would start the hot treatment all over again before the next pump/feeding.

It is so important to drink lots of water, eat and sleep - add this with caring for a little one and it seems an impossible task, I know.
#5 of 5 Old 04-08-2004, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i took garlic twice a day( io smushed it a bit and took it with milk i really think that did it.. i had a nasty nasty bout of mastitis... the kelly website is awsome! thanks again turquoise! i hope u feel better soon! s!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page