how many ounces does a 7 month old need in a workday? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-21-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That. I have been a SAHM for 7 full months now.  I just got a job offer and may be going back anywhere in the next two weeks but will definitely be back a month from now, full-time. I have very little milk saved up in my freezer (maybe 20 ounces?) and it is very difficult for me to pump in between feedings, since my LO still eats so often (it takes effort to get him to go even 2 hours w/o wanting to nurse, unless we are out of the house and he is distracted). Within an hour after nursing him I can maybe pump out 2 oz from each boob if I'm lucky. I'm stressed about going back for multiple reasons but especially b/c I am just used to nursing on demand since I've always been with him.

So, with that said, how much should I plan to have in my freezer for a typical workday of about 7:30 am to about 4 pm? My guy is 7 months tomorrow. He nurses very frequently but my pediatrician wants me to up his solid food intake so I can try to get him to go a little longer without nursing. His current bottle intake (if I leave the house for 2 hours) is about 4 oz. I want to make sure I have an amount that I can aim to pump and freeze so that I don't fall short, since I want to BF him for no less than a full year. He still nurses several times during the night. How much should I expect him to drink during my workday?

#2 of 5 Old 07-21-2011, 05:32 PM

Kellymom.com has a handy calculator to figure out how much expressed milk a baby will need while away from mom plus a fact sheet on bottle feeding the breastfed baby to prevent overfeeding - and thus stressing mom out by making her think she's not pumping enough.
Your doctor is just plain wrong - babies NEED to breastfeed on demand and eat solids at their own pace. That said, your caregiver could offer nutrient-dense solids to your LO while you're away if pumping output is an issue.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 05:36 AM

I've seen a fact sheet before but I can't remember where. I'm going back to work soon too. Anyone know where you can find a good fact sheet online?

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#4 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 05:58 AM

this is a good site, too, but i didn't see a worksheet..  http://www.workandpump.com/ 

the back to work checklist is pretty handy.

it's really going to depend on your kid, though.  at that age, my dd would eat solids and tend to refuse a large portion of breastmilk, though she would drink some,  and wait for me to get home and nurse all night.  reverse cycling can be both good and bad. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#5 of 5 Old 07-22-2011, 02:17 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Most babies take 3-4 bottles of between 3-5 oz of milk. In general, they should never be offerred a bottle larger than 5 oz and usually most will take  4 oz. One of my kids always took 3x4 and one took 3x5 . The size won't increase as they get older, but solids will play a bigger role.

I found double pumping helpful when establishing a supply. Pump 10 minutes, shower, pump 10 minuties.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page