help me get my 10 week old to take a bottle! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-23-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS1 took a bottle, no prob, cold EBM straight from the fridge.... so I assumed it would be the same this time around....well, turns out nothing is the same this time! DS2 will NOT take a bottle, and i NEED to go back to work ASAP!

We started with the Dr Browns that we had on hand. Then we tried the Playtex drop ins, and now we are working on the Tommy Tippee.

Sometimes he will chew on it, and once or twice he sucked about an ounce out.

We've tried it cold, room temp and warm.

We've tried all different times of day. Daddy;s been trying, and so did Grandma and Auntie. I even tried a couple of times.

Bottle brand suggestions, advice, anything? THANKS!

#2 of 20 Old 07-23-2011, 09:35 PM

Mine liked it not just "warm", but perfectly at body temperature. It was tough to get it right for him. First years Breastflow was the only type we used. Eventually he started rejecting all bottles but by then he could take a sippy cup (~6 months).

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#3 of 20 Old 07-24-2011, 05:23 AM

It's not always easy, but cup feeding may be an option too.

#4 of 20 Old 07-24-2011, 05:39 AM

I feel your pain.  honestly I just figure she'll work it out.  I don't work much.  But the first time I left her (6 hours) she took 1.5 oz.  So now I figure she CAN and if she chooses to wait, that's ok too.  I read that babies will sometimes just take enough to coat their stomachs.  

I also read that if you are working FT the baby will usually get up to speed in 1-2 weeks.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#5 of 20 Old 07-26-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. We are still struggling. I suppose he would figure it out eventually, but the thought of my hungry little guy crying for milk with me nowhere around breaks my heart. He just gets more and more hysterical as we try to  force the bottle on him.

That cup feeding thing is pretty amazing. But that little guy is so chill. Mine wakes up hungry and fussy.

#6 of 20 Old 07-28-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I suppose he would figure it out eventually, but the thought of my hungry little guy crying for milk with me nowhere around breaks my heart. He just gets more and more hysterical as we try to  force the bottle on him.

We're having the same problem.  I go back to work in a month.  I'm starting her in daycare the week before I go back so she has time to adjust. 

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#7 of 20 Old 08-03-2011, 12:15 PM

Are you in the house when your LO is trying the bottle? They have super senses of smell and he might just not understand why he can't get the real deal if it's available. You could try introducing the bottle when he's not hungry yet and not as likely to be frustrated, or when he's sleepy (waking up?) and maybe not as opinionated, or mabye when he is hungry so then he'll be more motivated (and by "you" I guess I mean someone else).

We have a drawerful of Dr. Brown's glass bottles that I registered for and that my DD never would take. She vastly prefered the wider base of Avent bottles until she basically ditched them at 7-8 months and would take a few ounces out of a sippy and just wait on me to get home.

Who'll be watching him? Sometimes an experienced care giver can get reluctant babies to take a bottle -- they have lots of tricks.

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#8 of 20 Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 AM

My DD was hit and miss with a bottle while I was on maternity leave, and that first day back at work for me was pretty awful for DH. He actually brought her to me at lunch to nurse because she hadn't eaten all day and he was so worried she would starve to death..

But, after that first day she seemed to realize she wasn't getting any boobs if booby lady was gone, and she accepted the bottles from then on.

#9 of 20 Old 08-04-2011, 12:59 PM

I remember mine would not take it if I was anywhere close!

We used the Nuby bottles after we realized the breastflow were making it even harder.

We offered it to him instead of  a pacifier when it was getting close to 'hungry-time' and when he saw it had milk coming out of it he was confused but pleased enough and eventually it worked.

Good luck!

#10 of 20 Old 08-19-2011, 08:36 AM

We tried a couple of bottles before my son, now 2 1/2 months, would take one. We had the Breastflow, Born Free and Nuk bottles. The breastflow bottle was a complete failure. He hated it and he couldn't figure out what to do with it. We then tried the NUK orthodontic bottle and after a few minutes he was sucking it down. He's only had a bottle 3-4 times and even if it's been a few weeks since his last he will still take the NUK one right away.
#11 of 20 Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 AM

I'm here to commiserate a bit.  I had to go back to work pretty early for financial reasons and DH is taking great care of DD, but she is giving him the hardest time with the bottle.  Last week he had a couple of really successful days with the Breastflow.  But, this week has been a totally different story.  I was going to grab a couple of different bottles this weekend to try something new.  I don't want the poor thing to be hungry or upset, and I don't want DH to be stressed out! 

Mama to my 4-year-old lil' man and with a new little one on the way.
#12 of 20 Old 08-26-2011, 11:54 AM

I just want to put it out there that if you are having a hard time getting your kiddo to take a bottle to please take a moment and test your milk for lipase.  Just take a sip of what you are offering.  If it tastes like soap then you probably have excess lipase.

I've met multiple moms in real life who had this issue and it ended up being excess lipase.  I don't personally don't think its as rare as people say it is.

#13 of 20 Old 08-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Our 3 month old does not like a bottle either. After a couple hysterical crying, not eating, then falling asleep sessions while I was away, I found that having the milk very warm, almost hot, and holding him tight and closer to the chest just like he's nursing he will start eating no problem. I'm right handed so I put him in the cradle hold in my left arm and pulling him up close and tight to where his eyes meet mine and his right cheek is smooshed up against my chest and I lean back. I think in our case it was more a matter of closeness and comfort that he was wanting. Dad hasn't tried it yet so I don't know if it's just because I was the one giving him the bottle but try something like that and see if it works for you too.

#14 of 20 Old 08-27-2011, 01:53 PM

We've tried all this week and not much luck.  She'll tolerate the latex nipple over the silicone one in her mouth but she won't actually suck on it.  She starts daycare on Monday so we'll see how it goes.

#15 of 20 Old 08-27-2011, 04:52 PM

Good luck.  I was hospitalized for a week (unplanned, obviously) and DD BARELY took one.  I nursed her for about 2 hours a day (two, hour long visits) and I would say apart from that over the week she took 6oz.  Just enough to keep her going.

I tell you this not to scare you but just to point out that even the worst case scenario she will be fine!  I was amazed at how DD did.  She just waited for her mama.  

#16 of 20 Old 08-27-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carepear View Post

I just want to put it out there that if you are having a hard time getting your kiddo to take a bottle to please take a moment and test your milk for lipase.  Just take a sip of what you are offering.  If it tastes like soap then you probably have excess lipase.

I've met multiple moms in real life who had this issue and it ended up being excess lipase.  I don't personally don't think its as rare as people say it is.

So true. I pump and DS gets the milk in a cup then next day. If his care giver says that he wouldn't drink it I know that it "went bad" faster than usual! Usually I get 24-48 h if I cool the milk immediately. Sadly last week was a hot one, and poor DS got soapy milk twice greensad.gif

#17 of 20 Old 08-31-2011, 05:14 AM

I tasted my milk and it had a slightly sweet taste.   DD started daycare this week and she's only taken an ounce both days.  Yesterday for her second bottle she didn't cry and just held it in her mouth and maybe she got 1/2 an ounce in.  She made up for it somewhat in the evening, but she was so tired she ended up napping from 6:30-8:30.  I woke her, fed her and put her back to bed and then got her up around 6 since I had woken up to feed her again.  I had thought she would wake to feed during the night but that wasn't the case.  I hope she does better today with the bottle.  I'm so worried she's not going to eat enough. 

#18 of 20 Old 09-01-2011, 03:02 PM

in the same boat (and the same town!).  i about had a panic attack today when my boss told me that my work days would be a full 9 hours again.  i'm only working 2 days per week.  we started out with a few hours per day so i was only away from my lo for 4-5 hours at a time.  he took 4 ounces no problem the first day.  this week he took and ounce or less.  he's such a little dude, doesn't have any chub around the belly.  i'm just afraid that he will not gain well.  i'm also not letting down for the pump very well at work...i'm sure the stress of it all isn't helping.  and this is just working 2 days per week!  i think i would be a complete basket case if i was going back full time.  i can't help dreaming about just not going back to work.  it hardly seems worth it, but i can't stay home forever and i need to keep up my skills. anyway, i'm guessing i will stress and stress and stress about it and then...everything will probably work out in the end.  hope that's the case with you.  hug2.gif

me: C (33), wife to P (35), mom to peanut butter angel1.gif (1/10), porky jog.gif(5/11), and dumplin' baby.gif(10/12).

#19 of 20 Old 09-02-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy918 View Post

I tasted my milk and it had a slightly sweet taste.   DD started daycare this week and she's only taken an ounce both days.  Yesterday for her second bottle she didn't cry and just held it in her mouth and maybe she got 1/2 an ounce in.  She made up for it somewhat in the evening, but she was so tired she ended up napping from 6:30-8:30.  I woke her, fed her and put her back to bed and then got her up around 6 since I had woken up to feed her again.  I had thought she would wake to feed during the night but that wasn't the case.  I hope she does better today with the bottle.  I'm so worried she's not going to eat enough. 

I hear it can take a couple of weeks to adjust.  Hang in there.  

#20 of 20 Old 09-02-2011, 11:12 AM

Thanks.  She took 3 ounces yesterday which is better.  Now we have a 3 day weekend this weekend so DH will have to try and give her a bottle.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page