feeding in public no cover - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my first 2 children I nursed in public, but always with a cover. This time around I never use a cover, part of the reason being its summer and I am not going to make myself or my child sweat, but I think also do it just to see if it'll tick anyone off. It sounds bad but I am so sick of hearing stories of moms getting harassed for feeding their babies, I would love to educate some ignorant people on the issue. I have gotten a lot more mean looks since I lost the cover. I wear 2 shirts and just lift the top one up and the bottom one down.. you totally can't see anything unless you are staring to hard. I had a family member tell me to cover up and I asked if he could see anything and he said " no but its obvious what you are doing." uhhhh yeah I am feeding my baby. Did you nurse with or without a cover, why?

Slightly hippie.gif mommy to 3 little girlsenergy.gifDD1   9/23/08energy.gifDD2   1/21/10energy.gifDD3   5/26/11      

belly.gif#4 guess date 4/20/13

cd.gifhomeschool.gifintactlact.giffemalesling.GIFh20homebirth.gifgoorganic.jpgfly-by-nursing1.gif

mdcblog5.gif http://www.naturalbabyideas.com

#2 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Never used a cover.  but I always lifted up my shirt with the other kids,this time around I just pop out the top.  it's just more convenient for me than to have to wear an under shirt or belly hugger in this hot weather. 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#3 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 07:31 PM

I don't nurse in public that often, and when I do I like to find a quiet spot (as much as is feasible) - my babe is quite easily distracted.  Anyway, I never use a cover.  I was at a festival this past Saturday and went under a tent to nurse.  I pulled a chair towards the back, more for shade than privacy, and we start breastfeeding.  This older lady - 60s?-comes over and offers me a towel.  She was really sweet and I think she thought she was doing me a great service, but it was the "dome of heat" on the East Coast this past Saturday.  Uh, thanks a lot, lady!  As if my sweating son needs to be covered by anything at all!  I accepted it and just placed it on my lap.  eyesroll.gif

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#4 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 07:38 PM

I've never used a cover. Seems to me like they draw more attention (instead of helping to be discreet). I nurse everywhere (and I DO mean everywhere) and have never encountered any negativity. In fact, I was recently nursing my 11-month old on a completely packed NYC bus and a woman went out of her way to tell me how awesome she thought it was :)

sosurreal09 likes this.

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).
#5 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 PM

I stopped using a cover when DD was a couple of months old, I just realized that I could cover just as effectively with just my shirt, with less hassle of remembering to pack something to cover with. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#6 of 12 Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 AM

I've never used a cover, and have never had anyone say anything negative to me. We have nursed just about everywhere! I think most people can't tell that we're nursing.

rainbow1284.gifenergy.gifAugust 2010 ; angel2.gif April 2009; angel1.gif m/c 2008

#7 of 12 Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 AM

I'm still new to this, but I really don't want to nurse with a cover--the thought of using a cover makes me feel like I'm trying to hide something shameful--and I'm not! I've only nursed in public a couple of times so far, and nobody has said anything negative to me. I like to think that I am helping to normalize breastfeeding in the public eye. (Of course, I think others should use covers if they are more comfortable that way!)

#8 of 12 Old 07-28-2011, 10:58 AM

I nurse whenever/wherever without a cover.  At times, I have sought out quiet spots or even nursed in the bathroom once or twice but only if my babies needed quiet.  It appalls me that the act of FEEDING A BABY could cause offense.

sosurreal09 likes this.
#9 of 12 Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I don't use a cover. When I need to latch my baby on, I go to a corner. Once she's latched on, I walk around as usual. I don't think anyone really notices I'm nursing that way. 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#10 of 12 Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 AM

I covered at first because I didn't really know what I was doing and neither did DD and latching took FOR-EV-ER. I also really hate to feel exposed and IDK it just felt "safer". But DD was only about 6 weeks when she decided she DID NOT like the cover. She actually grabbed it, pulled it off, twice and I've never put it back on. She's 6 m/o. I just wear a tank and another shirt - pull one up and one down. It's very minimal exposure and I'm not going to make her uncomfortable when she's trying to eat! That said I try to hang out somewhere relatively solitude (picnic bench at the park when DS is playing) mostly because I don't want to distract other CHILDREN who aren't familiar with breastfeeding. In mostly-adult situations, I just nurse her where I'm at - they know what I'm doing... I'm feeding my child!

The only time I actually "go elsewhere" to nurse is when we're at my brothers... he's a 24 y/o mainstream guy and our mother didn't breastfeed us, and his sister's breasts used for ANYTHING is just more than he can handle. I respect his overall uncomfortableness because of our background, and he's my brother, so I see no reason to push it.. I just go to another room.

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#11 of 12 Old 07-30-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules09 View Post

I've never used a cover, and have never had anyone say anything negative to me. We have nursed just about everywhere! I think most people can't tell that we're nursing.

This has been my experience as well.  I just lift up my shirt and latch dd on and then pull the shirt down to cover most of my boob.

caffix.gif

#12 of 12 Old 07-30-2011, 03:36 PM

We used a cover for maybe the first 3 months, until we became comfortable with how breastfeeding works, and since then I've only used it at church and around the ILs, though now, at 15 months, we rarely nurse out of the house, though if necessary, we just go for it, but if possible will find an out of the way spot so ds can focus better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page