Ice Cream/Frozen Yogurt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So this is a bit of a silly question, but one I would like answered if possible.

I am currently nursing and pumping for my 6 month old.  She, like my older daughter, is sensitive to milk proteins.  With  my first daughter, I cut out dairy as much as possible, but noticed that she didn't have a problem at all if I ate yogurt.  I'm assuming that that is because the process changes the proteins in the milk, making them easier to digest.  She grew out of it by the time she was 2.

Anyway, the same is true of my baby.  With the exception of yogurt, intake of any kind of dairy causes her to be fussy and to spit up a ton.

So my question is this.  It's summer and it's hot.  I love ice cream, but I haven't had any because of her sensitivities.  But what about frozen yogurt?  My hunch is that it's not even close to regular yogurt and won't work.  I don't have time to make my own, and I don't have any of the places around where I live that sell unsweetened frozen yogurt.

#2 of 5 Old 07-30-2011, 09:54 AM

I found sorbet (not sherbert, which has milk products in it) to be really nice last summer when I was dairy-free for my little guy. The lemon kind is almost creamy...

#3 of 5 Old 07-30-2011, 12:26 PM

Even if it were made with actual yoghurt, I'd want to check the ingredients list for other dairy ingredients.

I second the suggestion of sorbets, although you'll need to double check for dairy ingredients in those too :(.  Or if your little one is OK with soy, perhaps they sell frozen soy "ice cream" where you are?

xx

#4 of 5 Old 08-01-2011, 07:10 AM

when we were going through this, we found a brand of coconut yogurt, ice cream, and coconut milk that worked out for us.  it's pretty dang yummy too.  unfortunatly, ungodly expensive though. 

most kids who have the dairy sensitivity can't handle soy either.  i also found that most of the rice ice cream (not the milk, not sure about yogurt) had something dairy in it or soy.. whatever it was, it didn't go over well for us.

dd ended up growing out of ALL the sensitivities, too.  sometimes it takes a little longer?

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#5 of 5 Old 08-02-2011, 07:52 AM

there are some amazing brands of coconut milk ice creams available at most grocery stores. so delicious and coconut bliss are two i can think of off the top of my head. they're vegan, so no dairy products at all, and quite simple ingredient lists. they are hands down the best commercial ice cream i've ever had. 

when i go out, i get sorbet... getting ice cream on a hot afternoon is something of a montreal obsession, and i find that lots of the better ice cream shops have a really amazing range of sorbets. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page