AF at 13 months, now nothing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-08-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I have been breastfeeding my little one since birth and hadn't had AF until 6 weeks ago when it finally returned. My ds doesn't sleep through the night yet so I'm up with him anywhere from 1-5 times a night depending on how bad the teething is or some other reason. Lately, he's up 2-3 times a night it seems. He eats really well during the day. I would say I'm about 10 lbs underweight and have been conscious of eating lots every day to try to regain some weight (I was worried that was why I wasn't menstruating), but no weight gain yet. Anyway, out of the blue, AF returned about 6 weeks ago - a much longer and heavier bleed than I was used to but probably quite normal for most women. My periods tended to be very regular before I had ds - every 28-30 days. So we're now almost at the 6 week mark...nothing. I know what you're probably all thinking - pregnancy test? I have to say that the odds of me getting pregnant the old fasioned way are pretty slim as we are dealing with a pretty serious infertility issue and couldn't conceive without medical intervention. I guess I can never say never to a natural pregnancy but let's just say it would be a miracle. I did pick up a pregnancy test and will do it in the morning if no AF...we'll see

But in the meantime, I was curious if others have had similar experiences of AF being sporadic with baby sleep patterns or some other factor. When i think back to the week i should have ovulated, we were away on vacation and my ds was up every 2 hours most of the nights we were gone due to being away from his familiar surroundings at night.

thanks for any insight. After years of struggling with infertility and seeing negative pregnancy tests, I swore I would never do one ever again...I've been putting off doing one as I dread seeing another negative and I guess I'm trying to figure out what other reason there could be for all this.

thanks

Renee

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

#2 of 4 Old 08-08-2011, 01:17 PM

After DS was born I got my AF back at 9 months, then nothing, another AF at 11 months, then nothing, then got pregnant again at 13 months. I wouldn't rule out pregnancy, but I think it's somewhat normal for a BFing mother to have wonky cycles.
#3 of 4 Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for your response Radicaleel. Pregnancy test was negative this morning. So I guess I just see when AF decides to return. It's helpful to know this has happened to others.

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

#4 of 4 Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 AM

Periods can be irregular while breastfeeding. I would take my temp. every morning and chart it so I would know if I ovulated and when to expect my period. When I would want to get pregnant (after the nursing child was 2.5-3 years) I could use my charts to develop a plan for getting pregnant. It worked for me for not getting pregnant when I didn't want to and for getting pregnant when I wanted to 5 times.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page