Help me choose a pump, please. P/ T work, older baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I will be returning to work in a few weeks.  Babe will be 8.5 mos, and I will work 2 days/ week (non-consecutive).  I will be away from him for a good 9+ hours each of those days.  There is a possibility of nursing at lunchtime;  we'll have to see how that pans out.  My son has never taken a bottle successfully;  admittedly, we haven't tried too hard. We may just go with sippy cups at this point.  I wouldnt' be shocked if he refuses the milk or takes just enough to take the edge off his hunger and mostly reverse cycles on my work days.  Because of all of these factors, I think I'd just like a mid-range priced pump.  This is my third, and probably last, child.  I do have a Lansinoh hand pump, but feel like that will be too slow and inefficient.

Please give me your pump recommendations.  What works well for you?  What is comfortable and efficient, while still a midrange price?  Anything I ought to avoid?  Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-10-2011, 12:06 PM

I have the Ameda Purely Yours and it works great for me. I work full time and pump all of DD's milk for the day while I am at work.

If you have health insurance, does it cover breast pumps? I have BCBS, and it covered all but 50 bucks of my pump after my doctor wrote me a prescription for one. It might be worth looking into.

#3 of 4 Old 08-12-2011, 06:07 PM

I used an Avent Isis Duo Electric. It was cheaper than the PIS and it worked great for me. When I was pumping, I worked 4-5 hours a day, 4 days a week.

I think your LO will be fine with a sippy of whatever you produce plus solids.

When you start working, could you leave your pump at work and just have the manual at home? The most irritating part about pumping for me was lugging it back and forth -- the Isis isn't large, but it's just one more bag, you know? And then I left a crucial part at home twice. Ouch!

Good luck choosing a pump!

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#4 of 4 Old 08-12-2011, 11:08 PM

I second the Ameda Purely Yours- I have one and I love it. Also, because of the nature of the pump and its tubing, you can buy it second hand and just buy new horns and tubing and have it be completely sterile. Have a look on Craigslist!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page