grab and go foods for you (x-posted in life with babe) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've got a new baby, just 3 weeks old. i'm the only adult home because my dh is deployed. i've also got a 4yo and 7yo. i'm starving and struggling with healthy, high protein foods/snacks to keep on hand that i can just grab and eat without any prep. i need ideas of things i can eat with babe in arms. i don't have any food restrictions or allergies so anything goes. i've got yogurt but it only has abot 4 grams of protein. i've got cheesesticks, but how many of those can i eat in a day? kwim? i can't seem to eat enough or have enough on hand.

any ideas?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 11:21 AM

I make big batches of these, with added flax seeds and other nuts/seeds etc.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/playgroup-granola-bars/detail.aspx

rainbow1284.gifenergy.gifAugust 2010 ; angel2.gif April 2009; angel1.gif m/c 2008

Old 08-19-2011, 11:45 AM

I love these, full of protein and good nutrition. I make them for all of my friends when they have a new baby.

You can add any nuts, seeds, choc chips that you like. Some type of liquid it needed too, I use apple sauce or juice or what ever I have in the fridge. Also I reduce the surgar in half

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/power-cookies/detail.aspx

Old 08-19-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions and recipes. thumb.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 08-19-2011, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Not super healthy, but I love making little egg and cheese tortillas.  I fry up an egg (or scramble), schlop it in the middle of a tortilla half with some cheese, fold in the sides to make a triangle, then slap it back in the pan for a second to seal it up.  It's a great hand-held breakfast.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:02 PM

Sardines and crackers are my go-to snack. I keep some at work, in case I forget my lunch.. and I've actually got a few people hooked on them. They're extremely nutritious, but some people can't stomach them. I LOVE THEM! Might be a little hard to eat while holding little one, though?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:09 PM

Oh, I wanted to add.. I am a single mom, my first son was 2 months shy of 3 when my baby was born.. I had a c-section, and I remember just sitting in bed, STARVING (I know how you feel) because I didn't have the energy to cook something.

I literally kept getting shaky and dizzy, so much so that I went to see my doctor when the baby was 3 weeks old... she asked what I've been eating.. then I realized I WASN'T eating.

I stocked up on canned soup, drank lots of milk, ate instant oatmeal like it was going out of style, because I was too exhausted to cook anything.

Hang in there!

Old 08-21-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, don't think i could stomach sardines. my oldest loves them on crackers, too.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 PM

Here are my go to snacks...

almonds & walnuts
Babybel mini cheese
Greek yogurt - the kind I eat has 12-15gm of protein per serving depending on which flavor it is
lean lunch meats to make a quick sandwich
already washed and ready to eat salad, spinach and veggies
fruit
peanut butter toast with a glass of milk and a banana
Luna protein bars - I only have these occasionally, but they are handy for those times when I can't grab anything else or if I have a sweet tooth

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

nuts are so expensive and come in such small containers! sheesh!

I've rediscovered lunch meat. i tried greek yogurt because of the higher protein content but just can't swallow it. I've never liked yogurt much, anyway. The only ones I can eat are Yoplait and Activia, not exactly the healthiest kinds.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:36 PM

These aren't the best, but better than not eating..
-multigrain bagel toasted with whatever spread u like
-whatever fruit is in season
-granolabars
-veggies and dip
-cheese and crackers
Old 08-24-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

nuts are so expensive and come in such small containers! sheesh!

I've rediscovered lunch meat. i tried greek yogurt because of the higher protein content but just can't swallow it. I've never liked yogurt much, anyway. The only ones I can eat are Yoplait and Activia, not exactly the healthiest kinds.

What about peanuts? They are cheaper and come in big containers. I'll also sometimes sprinkle some sunflower kernels on a salad for a little added protein.

I understand about the yogurt. I had to acquire a taste for it. I never liked it much at all. I love the Yoplait Whips, but yeah, they aren't that healthy. I found I like certain flavors of the greek yogurt better than others too.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:08 PM

I only have one little one but somehow still couldn't find the energy to cook during the day. I made lots of smoothies with yogurt or even protein powder added (a little expensive but sometimes it's on sale at the natural food store.) I also ate lots of peanutbutter or almond butter on crackers and toast,  whole grain cereal and granola, hardboiled eggs,  and veggies with hummus or yogurt/ranch dip. Maybe you could make a big batch of a high protein soup (like chile or chicken stew) and eat it throughout the week.

So much respect and admiration for you---having a new born is hard enough even when you don't have other kiddos and have a supportive partner. I hope your hubby comes home soon. Best of luck staying full and healthy!

~may all beings be free from suffering~

User Tag List