5 month old, poop, and my diet...xp LWABabe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies

My son was pooping every 4-5 days, but the frequency has gradually been getting closer to every 6-7 days.  Its normal, but he seems to be more agitated in the days leading up to it.  This might be a stupid question, but if I eat more fruits and vegetables, will this increase the frequency with which he poops?  At his last well baby visit his ped said we should start him on solids (rice cereal...wah??  who feeds their baby rice cereal?!).  I don't mind that he poops so infrequently (and neither does the diaper pail or washing machine!), but I wonder if it would make him more comfortable, especially in the days immediately preceding the big event.

Thanks much!

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 12:45 PM

My ds was a very frequent pooper for the first several weeks but has been spacing them out for a while now. Like your ds, they are totally normal. Some of my others have done the same thing, and nothing was wrong at all. I don't feed my babies rice cereal either. I follow baby's cues as to when to start solids.. like if they're super eager at meal time, and even then 6mo is the absolute earliest I start. I usually will give them a tiny bite of mashed avocado or very ripe banana and see how they handle it. If all goes well I gradually add in more soft cooked veggies, but we save grains till one of the last things to introduce. I've heard they can be harder to digest.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks BusyMom, and the mamas in the Life With A Babe thread.  Poop day was yesterday at 9 days...a record for Simon!  He's not in significant pain, but just seems uncomfortable for a few days beforehand, and perhaps the bigger issue for me is that his sleep craps out.

The thought of giving up dairy makes me sad.  I love cheese!  However, perhaps it will help with the baby weight.  Sigh.

Camille~
Mama to F (3/09) and S (3/11); and never forgetting my babe gone too soon angel1.gif(4/10).

Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Fruit and veggies in your diet won't help your baby poop. I doubt milk you are eating is causing his infrequent stools. If you want to find out, it takes 2 weeks of no milk or milk products for all of the milk protein to get out of your system.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

User Tag List