Nursing bras - When to order?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-03-2011, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really hope this is an OK place to post this :

Im currently 35 weeks with my first child and am wondering if I should go ahead and order a nursing bra or wait a bit?

I started out pregnancy as a 44dd and am still wearing that size, my boobs have not really gotten bigger...they just kind of...inflated a bit?

Im wanting to order now while I have the money set aside but Im worried they will explode at the last minute or something lol.

Should I order a 46dd or something to be on the safe side?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-03-2011, 06:10 PM

What system are you using to calculate your bra size? Are you adding anything to the band size measurement?

For proper fit, you shouldn't add anything to the band size measurement, and should round DOWN to the nearest band size if you're an odd number.

Your band size probably wouldn't increase in pregnancy, but your cup size would.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpg mother to micro-preemie DD1 and 2E PG DD2. Stepmother to trans DSD. Owned by acat.gif! Pregnant and due 6th June '12. cd.gifnocirc.gifbfinfant.gif

#3 of 10 Old 09-03-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylie1 View Post

What system are you using to calculate your bra size? Are you adding anything to the band size measurement?

For proper fit, you shouldn't add anything to the band size measurement, and should round DOWN to the nearest band size if you're an odd number.

Your band size probably wouldn't increase in pregnancy, but your cup size would.

Um...I just know that all my bra's are currently 44dd's and I fit nicely, if a bit more  snuggly into them currently...I know nothing about bra sizing and Im not going to go get sized by some strange lady at a department store...I have body issues.

So 44 is the band size and dd is the cup right? So I would want to go up to a 44ddd if I needed to make room?

Thanks!

#4 of 10 Old 09-03-2011, 06:21 PM

You can size yourself at home, it's easy! http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Bra-Size is a good guide.

Yes, 44 is the band and DD is the cup. The size above DD is either a DDD or an F cup depending on the brand (women's clothing, including bras, aren't standardized with size...annoying, isn't it?) so you may want to try buy your nursing bras in an F cup.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpg mother to micro-preemie DD1 and 2E PG DD2. Stepmother to trans DSD. Owned by acat.gif! Pregnant and due 6th June '12. cd.gifnocirc.gifbfinfant.gif

#5 of 10 Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You really really can't predict what your post-partum self will be like. And engorgement is a short time and then you get a better picture.

This is awesome post partum, during engorgement, and after as a casual/sleeping bra. http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/intimate-apparel/461/comfort-nursing-bra-white

I would wait until a few weeks post partum to order.

#6 of 10 Old 09-12-2011, 11:49 PM

Oooh this is what I did because I had to order/buy during pregnancy, too ... I got a clasp expander for the back - I found that my cuppage didn't grow so much as my band size did. So I got one of those seamless Bravado bras that have the clasp in the back and cup is variable more or less. I went from a 36/38 to a 40/42 - I think mostly cuz I like it to feel looser now :) Having the expander works great for me.

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#7 of 10 Old 09-13-2011, 12:14 AM

I prefer to wait until after I give birth to buy any kind of nursing wear, just to save the hassle of returns :)

#8 of 10 Old 09-15-2011, 08:10 AM

where are you giving birth?  i had a horrible time in hospital because i stayed longer than i expected and didn't have a nursing bra.  which i absolutely needed.  at least get a tank or something.. if you're unsure of size.  also, i tend to not know what size bra to get ever, and i got a bravado seamless silk?  that just has sizes like l, xl, etc.  and they have worked well throughout pregnancy and postpartum etc for me.  though i am not as large as some mamas so i don't need a very high level of support, either. 

i'd just seriously recommend getting something, even if it is just a tank so that you have something if you need it (or if you homebirth and have to transfer..)

<3

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#9 of 10 Old 09-15-2011, 08:42 AM

I second having one nursing bra available when you deliver, even if you are having a birth center or hospital birth.  I was home four hours after I delivered, but didn't have a nursing bra and on day three BOOM my boobs exploded.  Engorgement is no fun without a bra.  So, if you can't imagine sending your husband bra shopping for you, have one on hand.  I like the tank idea for this purpose.  On the other hand, I wouldn't buy more than one.  Good nursing bras are expensive, and you can't completely predict what will fit postpartum.

Best wishes for a wonderful birth!

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#10 of 10 Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 AM

For what's it worth, I stressed about this same issue when I was pregnant and never ended up really using the nursing bras I bought. I would maybe have a cheap, comfortable one on-hand for the first week or two after your baby is born. But I LIVED in my nursing tanks (still do, and my son is over 9 months old). Most of the nursing bras I bought just never really fit me quite right. Throughout the early months of BFing, I found that my body/boob size just changed so much while my milk supply was regulating, I was losing baby weight, even my rib cage seemed to get smaller over time, etc., so this all affected how bras fit me. But the nursing tanks were heavenly and much more forgiving. I ended up buying a bunch at Target about 2 weeks postpartum when I could actually try them on, and then I just wore them 24/7. They are great because they can act like tanks that you would wear under cardigans, etc., but then you don't have to fumble much with your clothing when you are out. And at home, when I wasn't just topless the first few weeks due to sore nipples, I found that wearing the tanks kept me warm but gave me easy access. In my opinion, I don't know if it is all that possible to find the perfect-fitting nursing bra when you are still pregnant.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page