Kneading and pinching... 3.5 mo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-07-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Lo is constantly pinching and kneading with his top ARM when in cross cradle or side lying. I can tell it is good for his motor development... and I try to keep his nails short (or I pay the price.)

I know he can't understand that it is annoying and downright painful. I'm just concerned about when he gets bigger and stronger... for now I'm just making sure he only has access to one breast at a time because I could not stand having the other nipple tweaked. Or even actually touched. I think I have pretty sensitive breasts.

Any experience with this?

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#2 of 8 Old 09-07-2011, 07:44 PM

My little guy does something similsr and it drives me NUTS! He often pulls my boob out of his mouth accidentally which of course really hurts and then frustrates him. What I have been doing when he starts is give him my finger to hold then take it and kiss it, rub it and talk to him. So in otherwords, distract him in whatever way i can think of lol, cause it is soo annoying! It doesn't always work, but it often helps, even if i just do it midway through to distract him.
#3 of 8 Old 09-07-2011, 07:46 PM

My LO does the same thing - he is 1 so he is very adept at it, and can do it with both hands!  sometimes i will feel him down on my rib cage pinching me...i cant even reach him there!  Mostly, he kneads and twists the skin on the breast he is on - i always keep the other well hidden!  I try to hold his hand, i let him pinch my thumb all he wants - i play with his fingers ...to try to keep him amused ...no avail, at some point....even if hes asleep - he will pull his hand away from mine and find my breast and pinch me.  I try to keep my t-shirt pulled over or a blanket pulled over to cover me - he snakes his little hand right underneath.  Lately, i have been trying to force a soft end of a fuzzy blanket into his hand so he can play with that.  Once, after several minutes of playing defense like this - he opened his eyes, reached up, and pinched my face! 

I cant remember when he started with this but it has been going on a looooong time.  Thanks for starting teh thread - ive always wanted to ask if other babies are doing this - and does anyone have some tricks on how to STOP it????   But i never felt like i could explain it well enough!

OK whose got some solutions???

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#4 of 8 Old 09-08-2011, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

I searched old threads last night and found a suggestion to put a sock on that hand!  I tried it this morning and the kneading and pinching turned into a massage!  I'm hoping that if I start this early he won't totally buck it later.  That's the best suggestion I found...  

~adorkable~ likes this.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#5 of 8 Old 09-08-2011, 06:25 PM

At that age a sock sounds perfect!  (and really simple!)  hope that works for you!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#6 of 8 Old 09-12-2011, 01:46 AM

The kneading and pinching are instinctive behaviours that babies have to augment and stimulate the milk supply, annoying as it is, I swear after the first 6 or so months of nursing our ds I have to nurse with a hand over my free breast to stop the twiddling!!  It'll eventually get better, but certainly at the moment it really is for stimulation.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#7 of 8 Old 09-23-2011, 12:48 AM

My one year old does this, I swear it's like a tic! He has to pinch or poke or wave his arm around trying to grab my face as long as it's not the middle of the night. I try to hold his hand and rub it or let him pinch my fingers to get it out but it only helps a bout half the time. Argh.

#8 of 8 Old 09-23-2011, 06:48 PM

It's really common!  DS does it too.  Have you tried a nursing necklace?   Some of them are really pretty: http://www.etsy.com/listing/77220781/lapis-loop-nursing-necklace-limited.  Or you can DIY; I thought this one was cute:  http://offbeatmama.com/2010/05/diy-nursing-necklace-tutorial.

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page