Need Info & Support about getting up milk supply for an older baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-11-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 11-month-old baby has been nursing much less the last couple months. He loves food and eats a lot through out the day. Though some days he'd nurse frequently, on the majority of days he'd only get a good breastfeed in first thing in the morning, with a bunch of little, distracted feeds throughout the day. I'd offer frequently, but he just didn't seem that interested. Honestly, I didn't think very much of it. My daughter was not interested in food at all, and only seemed to want mama milk for the first year, so I was happy to have a good eater. He seemed happy enough. I've started to realize though that he hasn't been getting that much milk fat besides what's in dairy -- yogurt, cheese and such, so I've been focusing on breastfeeding more recently. Taking time away, doing it in quiet.

I've always had a decent milk supply though, and hadn't notice much change. But of course, I shouldn't have been surprised when for the last week or so my supply has suddenly dropped off drastically. Now he's wanting to nurse more and there's nothing there! I tried pumping the last two nights and have only gotten 2.5 ounces in 30 minutes (I'm usually easy to pump). And for his morning feed I can tell that he's not getting much of anything.

I tried giving him the bottle and he's really not that interested in it. He doesn't like the taste of formula -- I've tried a couple times in the past. He'll sometimes take expressed milk from the bottle, but sometimes he pushes it away.

I think I need to get my supply back up. How do I do that? Is it really hard once it drops off? I'm so mad at myself :(

** (I had originally posted this is breastfeeding challenges (I couldn't find this area) but now I did & I think this area is more appropriate. Thanks.**

Happy mama to a toddler & baby, dd happytears.gif born 10/18/08, and ds  baby.gifborn 10/3/10.
#2 of 7 Old 09-11-2011, 09:22 AM

Have you tried taking herbs?  I had a supply issue a while back and I took herbal pills for it and that helped tremendously.  Also, if you have the time for it, taking a "nursing vacation" where all you do is coddle your baby and nurse is helpful.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#3 of 7 Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 AM

It should be easy to bring your supply back up. I had times when I was sick and my supply went way down when I was nursing toddlers and when I got better, got rehydrated, got nursing more, my milk supply bounced back. When I was pregnant with my second my first was 2 and almost weaned. Then he had his first asthma attack and had to be hospitalized. He brought my milk back and I went on to nurse siblings.

I would give less solids especially anything with milk in it for awhile. It's recommended that kids over 12 months have 2 toddler size servings of milk products a day. That's part of the reason so many toddlers are constipated and overweight, their mothers are giving them milk to drink and feeding them things with milk in it. Of course since your child is breastfed he doesn't have to have any cow's milk. Most toddler like lots of things with milk in it, things with cheese. Anything he eats takes the place of breastmilk.

Some toddlers like food so much and are so busy they don't get around to breastfeeding. I think your idea of taking breaks and nursing in quiet places is a good one.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#4 of 7 Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM

In addition to your idea of taking quiet time out to nurse (which should be a great help) I would offer milk first, then food.  (similar to blue jeans suggestion, I suppose, except that I wouldn't otherwise try to limit what he is eating at least not quantity wise).  I also had good luck bringing my supply back up with nursing mother's tea, which you should be able to find at a health food store.  Otherwise, try to make sure you are well hydrated, well rested and able to relax and enjoy your nursing sessions as much as possible.

Good luck!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#5 of 7 Old 09-14-2011, 01:10 PM

Any possibility you're pregnant?

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#6 of 7 Old 09-15-2011, 12:08 PM

Or about to have a period?

#7 of 7 Old 09-26-2011, 10:58 AM

I would try  something herbal like Breastea from http://www.breastea.com. I use it and my milk supply has really increased. Just drink it daily until you don't need it anymore.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page