Becoming an LC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to get my LC liscensure. Not sure what I need or where to start. Is there any nationally accredited program or anything?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 PM

LCs aren't licensed by the state or federal government.  The formal credential most have (if they have a credential... the "LC" you see at some hospitals is simply a staff nurse who is designated to deal with lactation issues, and may have quite limited knowledge) is the IBCLC.  Here's a link to the certification process for the Americas:  http://www.iblce.org/certification

Another thing to consider won't get you licensed, but will get you educated to help women (and would count toward the clinical requirement for the IBLCE if you decided to pursue that later) is becoming a LLL leader.

Best,

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Someone who wrote the recent IBCLC exam told me that after this fall, future candidates will need to be some kind of health professional first.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Really? They JUST redid the pathways and there's a current one that requires passing 14 subjects (credit classes and continuing education classes)... maybe she meant some kind of college education? Because that one doesn't require you to be a health professional, just requires you to take specific classes (biology, anatomy and physiology, nutrition, sociology, cultural anthropology, CPR, etc.). Now there are specific pathways for those who are already health care professionals. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

Someone who wrote the recent IBCLC exam told me that after this fall, future candidates will need to be some kind of health professional first.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 09-12-2011, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

OP, here are the different pathways if you want to become an IBCLC:

http://americas.iblce.org/pathways

If you aren't already in a position to easily acquire your clinical practice hours, you can do something as a PP said like become a LLL leader, a breastfeeding peer counselor, or land a job elsewhere working at a hospital, clinic, doctor's office, etc., somewhere that you are working directly with breastfeeding mothers and have someone overseeing you in order to get your hours. 

Or you can do one of the above options and not go for your IBCLC, or go for the IBCLC later on. I've been working with moms for 5 years, though I've chosen not to charge during that time. (I can, but I don't, plus a lot of people don't want to pay someone unless they have magical letters behind their name lol it could be ABC and some people would be apt to pay me more based on those capital letters :-P) Now I'm going through Childbirth International to get my CBC (Certified Breastfeeding Counselor) so I can use that to land a job to get my clinical practice hours and I am also taking classes at a community college to get those requirements done as well. I'm looking at about 3 years before I get my IBCLC, but I'm on my way!

Just figure out what you want to do and your options for doing that and then go for it! It may be helpful to start helping moms now (jump in on a breastfeeding forum and start helping to answer questions) and that way you can get the feel of it and figure out if it's really something you want to put the time and effort into pursuing a career in. Good luck!!!

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 09-13-2011, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, mamas :) My grandma is an OB nurse that i'm considering working @. I'm going to ask her what she thinks; if they might hire me & what not...

User Tag List