I want to night wean my ten-month-old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-12-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're out of town on business with DH and the four of us are sharing a lumpy king-sized bed in the furnished apartment his company rented for us. I've gotten maybe three hours of sleep every night since we came here in March. DD nurses several times a night and constantly wakes me up so I can re-latch her. The bed is awful enough but nursing her for hours without a break on it is just too much.

I love nursing her during the day, even though she bites and claws me, but the night nursing is making me feel crazy. I'm so sleep-deprived and touched out that I've come to dread bedtime and that moment when I have to crawl under the covers with my baby and start the hours of nipple torture and exhaustion. greensad.gif

Is there any reason I shouldn't night wean her? I plan to keep nursing when we're not in bed. I just can't do this at night anymore. I mean, I can, but I really don't want to. She eats solids like a champ--definitely more than just exploration, way more than DS did at this age--and I know I can adequately supplement her nutritional needs with solid food.

Sorry if this should be in Breastfeeding Challenges, by the way. It's not really a challenge for me, because I know I can easily night wean her. I'm just wondering if it might be a bad idea since I want to continue the nursing relationship during the day.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#2 of 7 Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 PM

I pretty much night-weaned my daughter at 10 months.  She would wake up once to nurse when she was teething or I had AF (low-supply), but other than that it went well.  She didn't really increase her daytime nursing either.

Mama to three

#3 of 7 Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond! It's good to hear that you were able to maintain a good nursing relationship with your DD after night weaning. I think I'm going to do it. I'm just so, so, so tired and I know she can get through the night without nursing because DH has rocked her back to sleep before when I was sick and too exhausted to nurse her.

Poor little love, I hate to do it but I'm just dead on my feet from sleep deprivation.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#4 of 7 Old 09-21-2011, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I haven't been cutting back on nursing but I woke up with a hot, tender right breast and a generally icky feeling this morning. I've been nursing and hand expressing whenever possible and plan to rest today instead of doing my usual exercises. In a while I'll take a long hot shower and try to get the plug out (I can feel it deep in my breast).

I'm just hoping it isn't mastitis. I don't have a fever that I can tell and there are no red streaks, so that's a good sign--right?

#5 of 7 Old 09-24-2011, 05:40 PM

You don't need to try and get the plug out. You can hurt your breast and make things worse. Here is some info on plugged ducts.

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html 

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#6 of 7 Old 09-25-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mama. I ended up just using warm compresses and massage and nursing as much as possible. I spent Wednesday and most of Thursday very achy and with a low grade fever. My breast was hot and tender but there was no redness and I think the infection was very mild. Thursday evening I finally broke down and took some ibuprofen, which killed the fever and helped with the pain. When I woke up on Friday I felt much better and the infection hasn't come back.

My breast is still a little bit tender but the biggest lump is gone and I don't feel any other symptoms. I think it was from wearing a sports bra when I was engorged (I was in too much of a hurry to nurse DD before a run). Oops.

#7 of 7 Old 09-25-2011, 06:34 PM

I'm glad you are feeling better!

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page