Weaning from nipple shield - a couple questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Due to some problems early on, I am working with a LC to go from EP to EBF.  For the transition, we decided that I would use a nipple shield for a short time and then wean from that.  DS is 3 1/2 weeks old and seems to be taking to not using the shield just fine.

I have a couple questions, though.

1.  Does the baby take milk more efficiently without using the shield?  DS seems to nurse for less time when he's not using the shield, but seems just as content. 

2.  While using the shield, DS latches on and nurses continuously without stopping.  Without the shield, he is on and off the breast throughout the time he is nursing.  He isn't really fussy, just more active, I guess.  Is this normal?  Why do you suppose he is doing this?  Perhaps it relates to my first question and he is just getting more milk more quickly and is pulling away because of that. 

I appreciate any input on this.

Thank you!!

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-13-2011, 10:35 AM

I think you're right - he's getting milk faster without the shield.
When I used a shield my LC told me that it would reduce milk transfer and I needed to make sure to pump after feedings so it wouldn't decrease supply. I would guess your LO nurses continuously with the shield because he has to work harder to transfer milk. If he's happy nursing without the shield and - most importantly - gaining weight well, then I think you've successfully made the transition.
Good on you, mama!
Bri'sgirl likes this.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 3 Old 09-13-2011, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Megan, my LC didn't mention anything about decreasing supply by using the shield, but that makes sense.  She did give me a 3 step thing to follow, which was nurse for 10 minutes on each side (with the shield), then pump for another 10 minutes (both sides) and then supplement at least 1 oz of pumped milk.  I followed that for one week, then we changed it to nurse with the shield as long as ds wanted on each side with no pumping.

I am going to start going to a BF Peer support group tomorrow.  They have a scale to weigh your baby, so I'll make sure I weigh him for a few weeks to make sure he is gaining enough. 

Thank you!!

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page