is this milk safe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-14-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I pumped at work yesterday and forgot to take the milk out of the cold bag until this morning. It was stored in the insulated square bag that comes with the medela PIS with the frozen pack inside.  It was left in the bag from about 6:00 pm to about 8:00 am.  The freezer pack was thawed.  The milk was not cold to the touch, but it wasn't quite up to room temp either.  It is now in the back of the refrigerator. 

Can this milk be fed to my healthy 3.5 month old tomorrow, or should I thaw out some of the freezer stash and cut my losses with yesterday's milk?

Appreciate your input, mamas.

me: C (33), wife to P (35), mom to peanut butter angel1.gif (1/10), porky jog.gif(5/11), and dumplin' baby.gif(10/12).

#2 of 9 Old 09-14-2011, 07:52 AM

Milk can be stored at room temp for 10 hours and on ice packs for 24 hours. I would go with somewhere between those two times since the ice packs melted. If you wanted to be safest then you should go with 10 hours since the ice melted. I don't think you are supposed to recool it if it gets warm. I know for sure you shouldn't recool it if the baby has drank from the bottle. Here is a link and you may be able to find more info. I'm sorry if you have to throw it away, I know every drop is liquid gold.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html 

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#3 of 9 Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

So based on the info at that link, it looks like I may be able to judge it tomorrow by smelling and tasting it...

Anybody think that's nuts??

I finally had a decent couple of pumping sessions and was so excited to be able to give him a whole day's worth of unfrozen milk.  Too bad my sleep deprived, hormone addled brain can't keep up.  Baaaaah irked.gif

me: C (33), wife to P (35), mom to peanut butter angel1.gif (1/10), porky jog.gif(5/11), and dumplin' baby.gif(10/12).

#4 of 9 Old 09-14-2011, 10:54 AM

I don't think it's nuts. I'd smell it, and if it smells good, I'd leave it.

#5 of 9 Old 09-14-2011, 01:13 PM

I agree with smelling it.  A lot of the guidelines for what you are supposed to do and not supposed to do were developed for hospitalized or sick babies, or to be on the absolute safe side, or to ensure maximal nutritional content.  You're probably okay.

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#6 of 9 Old 09-14-2011, 03:18 PM

if it tastes ok i'd use it. (actually, i have done the same thing and used it,)

nak

#7 of 9 Old 09-15-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

It smelled fine.  He took it today.  No problems so far.  I figure if it was going to cause trouble, we would have seen something by now.  Good to know the BM is so hearty!

#8 of 9 Old 09-16-2011, 01:35 PM

Yay!!!  Saved some liquid gold!

Breastmilk is hearty stuff.  Unlike cow's milk, it's alive. 

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#9 of 9 Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkaJones View Post

Yay!!!  Saved some liquid gold!

Breastmilk is hearty stuff.  Unlike cow's milk, it's alive. 

Anka

Glad this worked out! As a complete aside, I would just like to point out that cow's milk is alive and hearty as well, when it hasn't been killed by pasteurization :)

Kendra (30),  mum to ds fly-by-nursing1.gif(2/14/11), and one angel1.gif. Pregnant with my rainbow1284.gif due 6/10/13, it's a GIRL!!!
 novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpggoorganic.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page