Injured nipples...help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-19-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I gave birth to my first baby on 9/8/11 and out seems I made a mess of positioning and latching my son in the first days. I'm a CLE and seem to have forgotten EVERYTHING I know about bf! We have corrected the positioning and latch problems and bf doesn't hurt once the initial latch is done (15-30 seconds), and I've even been able to get him latched on pain free initially a few times. The not so fun part (and forgive me for being a giant wimp) is that both nipples are still fairly injured. both gave bled (though not since last week), and both are cracked and bruised. In the cracks is a yellowish substance that reminds me of what happens after a scraped knee, epithelial cells or something?

Anyhow I'm keeping both nipples coated in lanolin and trying to stay positive, but they look terrible and I'm just wondering what others have done to deal with this problem...and maybe some reassurance that they will actually heal one day? Thanks, mamas!

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-19-2011, 12:25 PM

You poor thing. 

Can you get hold of all purpose nipple ointment? 

#3 of 5 Old 09-19-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Probably...what exactly is it? not lansinoh?

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#4 of 5 Old 09-19-2011, 06:33 PM

I've been using the nipple butter from Earth Mama Angel Baby. I love it even more than lanolin. I had the same issue with latching, and I'm a former peer counselor! It took almost a week for me to heal. Also try to expose your nipples to air as often as possible. It will get better soon!

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#5 of 5 Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 PM

All Purpose Nipple Ointment. You may need a prescription to get it (not sure), but if you have local groups (LLL or a local lactation consultant) they would know how to go about getting it. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page