4 month old doesn't want to nurse anymore, any suggestions???? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-22-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Around 9 weeks we had to start making concentrated formula and mixing it with breast milk, so my daughter would gain weight.She is doing well with that and we don't have to concentrate anymore. At 11 weeks, I had to return to work. I am pumping and we have to supplement the bottle with formula to have enough for her. I am having a terrible time getting her to nurse even once a day now. I really don't want to give up and would love to get her back to nursing when I'm home. My bosses daughter is a great lactation consultant, but it's not working. Per her suggestions; I've tried pumping until let-down, using a syringe to drip some breast milk as she's trying to get the milk to let-down, a nipple shield(which was a lifesaver for a short time.) She just turns her head and yells. Anyone been through this and was successful in getting the baby back to nursing??? 

#2 of 5 Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 AM

No advice, but sorry you are having a tough time!

#3 of 5 Old 09-24-2011, 05:29 PM

What a difficult time you are going through. It would be great if you could eliminate all bottles. Is there someone that can bring your baby to work to nurse at your lunch break? Could your baby drink from a cup when you are gone? I don't mean a sippy cup but the kind of cup feedings they do with newborns. If your baby didn't get bottles she should go back to the breast. A baby shouldn't starve itself.

If you have to use bottles your baby may not want to nurse. That's just the way some babies are. It may not be worth all you are doing to try to force her to nurse. Your milk from a bottle may be the best you can do for her. Pumping takes a lot of dedication.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#4 of 5 Old 09-24-2011, 05:30 PM

What a difficult time you are going through. It would be great if you could eliminate all bottles. Is there someone that can bring your baby to work to nurse at your lunch break? Could your baby drink from a cup when you are gone?  If your baby didn't get bottles she should go back to the breast. A baby shouldn't starve itself.

If you have to use bottles your baby may not want to nurse. That's just the way some babies are. It may not be worth all you are doing to try to force her to nurse. Your milk from a bottle may be the best you can do for her. Pumping takes a lot of dedication.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#5 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 07:08 AM

My son did the same thing at 4 months!  It was awful, and I was convinced that was the end of breastfeeding for us.  But it was only temporary.  I tried and tried to get him to nurse on the weekend and when it wouldn't work I did end up giving him a bottle.  After a few weeks, he went back to nursing and we didn't have to use bottles at home anymore.  He went on to nurse until he self-weaned at 13 months.

Being a nursing working mom is really hard!  It sounds like you are doing all you can.  Hang in there, hopefully your LO will come around and go back to the breast soon.

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page