pump washing tips for a bit of a slacker - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-25-2011, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for some tips from fellow pumping mamas.  I am a high school teacher and mama to a 6 month old and 4 year old.  I pump 2x a day at work and usually once in the morning before I leave.  I don't have access to a private fridge, so I bring 2 sets of horns etc. in a clean ziploc and toss the used ones in a separate ziploc.  I wait and wash everything once I get home.  When I get home,  I dump it all in a large bowl of hot soapy water to soak.  I wash and rinse it all once I get everyone to sleep about 3-4 hours later. 

A few q's:

1) Is it a total bacteria hazard to leave the dirty ones in a plastic bag while I'm at work?

2) Is it bad to leave everything soaking in soap & water once I get home?  Also, is soap & water enough or do I need to be sterilizing?

3) I've heard that this stuff (minus the membranes) can be washed in the dishwasher.  If you do this, can you tell me what kind of basket you have?  I ordered one and it is way too small for the horns.

This system works for me, but I worry that I'm cutting too many corners and that my lack of germaphobe tendencies are going to catch up with me.  Looking forward to hear how others do it. I would consider buying a mini fridge if it would make life easier/safer.  Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 09-25-2011, 02:46 PM

I don't know if it's a bacteria breeding ground, but when my DS was in the NICU, the nurses recommended I keep a cooler next to my bed to store the pump parts in the middle of the night.  You could try that during that day instead of buying a mini-fridge.

I always just used the Medela steam bags to sanitize everything, including the membranes.  You pop everything in the microwave for 3 or 5 minutes with a little bit of water and it's all sanitized.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 26 Old 09-25-2011, 06:51 PM

I put mine in the top rack of the dishwasher and i haven't had any problems..in fact i didn't realize the membranes shouldn't go in.
I think you are totally fine doing what you are doing, but if it would make u feel better, than a cooler bag would be a good idea.
#4 of 26 Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincia View Post

I put mine in the top rack of the dishwasher and i haven't had any problems..in fact i didn't realize the membranes shouldn't go in.
I think you are totally fine doing what you are doing, but if it would make u feel better, than a cooler bag would be a good idea.

I do this exactly!

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#5 of 26 Old 09-25-2011, 08:27 PM

Medela makes special wipes for pumping on the go. They sanitize so you can just wipe them down and use them again.

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Quick-Clean-Breast-Accessories/dp/B000CCXLNE

#6 of 26 Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the wipes. They made pumping at work a lot easier, since I didn't need to go to a sink and wash each individual part.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#7 of 26 Old 09-25-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

I like the wipes. They made pumping at work a lot easier, since I didn't need to go to a sink and wash each individual part.

I don't even work and I want some of these wipes :lol

#8 of 26 Old 09-26-2011, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!  I am trying to avoid generating extra plastic waste, so I'd been avoiding the wipes but I may give them a try.

For the dishwasher folks, do you put everything in a compartment or something in the dishwasher?  If so, please tell me what you use.  I feel like the dishwasher has the power to change my life!

#9 of 26 Old 09-26-2011, 03:38 AM

i do put the flairs in the dishwasher, i just take  flairs off and slip each part over a prong on the top shelf and then flip down a cover section i think my dishwasher has for knives? that stops them from getting knocked around by the water jets

i also drop the smaller parts in my bottle heater and set it to 6 min, that is more normal for me, i figure these smaller parts need the help getting cleaned more than the flairs do.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#10 of 26 Old 09-26-2011, 05:09 AM

I always used the same set of pump parts at work all day without washing or refrigerating them between uses. I figure if BM is OK at room temp for hours, why not the parts? In fact, when I was trying to increase supply, my LC suggested just leaving the assembled pump out on the kitchen counter during the day and pumping whenever I walked past it.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#11 of 26 Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 AM

I refrigerate the parts during the day, wash them in the dishwasher in one of those bottle-parts baskets in the evenings. Rinsing them after every use makes my pump break so much longer- it wasn't worth it. 

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#12 of 26 Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 AM

bag.gif  ok.. maybe this is not something i should share.  however, i worked ft and pumped with dd1.  i pumped from when i went back to work till 13 mos, so 10 mos total.  at first i was taking everything to the sink in a plastic bag and washing each time with dr bronnors baby soap (very very diluted) but then after the first month, i was busy.  and lazy.  so i put everthing back into the cooler without rinsing or anything else, just wiping with a paper towel (or when i was semi-organized i would take a ziploc with a wet washcloth for that purpose) and storing it in the little portable cooler.  so for around 8 months, i didn't wash anything (just wiped) and pumped 3 x a day.  my logic was that breastmilk can sit out for a while without being damaged.

i would put the horns in the glassware part of the dishwasher every night and the small bits in the silverware basket.  washed the membranes by hand and only ever washed the tubes once when they got really condensation-y. 

nothing bad ever happened due to my lack of washing.  not that i endorse it, just thought people might be curious.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#13 of 26 Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 AM

I use my plastic baby item basket for the dishwasher:
http://www.target.com/p/Dishwasher-Basket-Combo-Set/-/A-521917
I
 have a different one but it looks like he one in the middle of the photo however it's pink and white. 
I can put the little yellow bits that the membrane attaches to in the top and the flanges I put in the top rack where the cups go. I put the bottles over the "spokes" that hold the cups in place and they wash just fine. 
I'm bad though and just rinse my parts in hot water most of the time and wash by hand or in the dishwasher every few days. :P 

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

We have cat.gif),dog2.gifdog2.gif. and a tree frog. 

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

#14 of 26 Old 09-26-2011, 11:09 AM

You actually are fine with leaving them at room temp for 8 hours, though I'd probably keep them in a bag or container to prevent contamination from other sources. If you keep them in your cooler bag, or in the fridge, you are safe for a little longer.

Another tip - putting your freshly pumped milk in the staff fridge with your lunch pretty much guarantees that nobody will steal your lunch. (Especially if you work with a lot of men!). thumb.gif

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#15 of 26 Old 09-26-2011, 11:13 AM

Keep in mind that your breastmilk has white blood cells.  Milk that's left at room temp for 8 hours actually has lower bacterial counts than when first left to stand!  So, first, what you're doing is probably fine (leaving them in the plastic bags and bringing two sets). The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding says you can just pop your horns along with the pumped milk in the fridge (or your horns in a cooler as a PP has said) rather than bringing two sets, which halves the dishes you do.  Ina May, in her guide to breastfeeding, says you can just leave everything at room temp all day and keep pumping with the same set.  So it depends on your comfort level. I go with the Ina May thing and just leave everything assembled in a desk drawer... I find I pump more that way (like, I actually just impulsevly do an extra session... and I HATE pumping).  After the last pumping I shove everything in the office fridge (you could use your cooler).

I would wash them in warm water when you get home (soaking with soapy water should be fine).  I sanitize once a day using the Medela bags -- you can reuse them 20 times, so it's not like you waste a lot of plastic or money that way, and it'll bring your bacterial count down to zero at least once a day, which might give you peace of mind.  Completely off topic, but the one serious expense I had with the Medela bags was when my microwave became posessed and sat with 1 second on the clock continuously microwaving for over 20 minutes... everything was melted.  So, keep an eye on your microwave... totally not the fault of the bags, though!

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#16 of 26 Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM

i feel so relieved.  i will let the horns lie casually about with much less guilt when i return to work in April after this babe arrives....

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#17 of 26 Old 09-29-2011, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

oh the dishwasher changed my life yesterday.  No more handwashing!  Thanks everyone!

#18 of 26 Old 10-04-2011, 06:42 AM

i work 12 hour shifts and get 2 breaks during the day.  15 minutes in the AM and 30 for lunch.  I have to eat and pump during this time so my pumping needs to be quick. 

I pump and then rinse everything in hot water real quick and dry it a little with a paper towel.  and put it back in my bag.  At night ideally I take all the parts apart and put them in the dishwasher.  I put the yellow parts in that target basket that a pp mentioned.  and just stick the flange parts in the top rack.  There have been nights where I do not get to do this and the rinse and wipe down after use has to do. 

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#19 of 26 Old 10-04-2011, 08:44 AM

No one is worried about putting plastic parts into the dishwasher? I know Medela products are all BPA free, but what about phthalates and other plasticizers? Toxins in plastics are more likely to leach out at higher temperatures, so maybe if you can do a cold/warm water wash instead of a piping hot wash? I know with my washer, if I open it up right after it's done running, it's hot and steamy in there. Anyway, that's just my two cents. I have put my parts in the dishwasher before, but once I started thinking more about it, I decided just to handwash.

Also, I do sometimes put the shields/phalanges, etc into the fridge for a day if I know I'm going to pump again later.

-Nicole, mama to Benji and our fur-babies, Megatron and T-Bone

treehugger.gif 

#20 of 26 Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 AM

I put the horns in a ziploc after my first pumping of the day and stash them in the fridge with the milk. Then I use them at the second pumping, and then wash when I get home. I am probably not as scrupulous about germs as I could be, but OTOH, if I had to wash pump parts at each pumping I probably wouldn't be able to pump at work at all. Sources say this approach is okay so I'm not too stressed about it. I do put the horns in the dishwasher along with all hard plastic parts from the bottles, and hand-wash the membranes, valves, bottle nips, and the little rubber bottle parts (we use Dr Browns bottles).

As for putting plastic in the dishwasher, doesn't plastic need to be sterilized every so often? I was under the impression the dishwasher did that. The drawbacks of never sterilizing seem to outweigh any potential drawbacks of leaching.

#21 of 26 Old 10-04-2011, 03:58 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I bought my own mini fridge (less than $100 and extra sets of horns so I could be lazy). Best money spent ever.

These easily fits horns etc. Take apart all pieces, wash seals and put somewhere safe, and throw everything else in the dishwasher. Easy peasy. If you like to be extra cautious or LO has special needs you could sterilize but I've never read that it is necessary.

Don't worry about storage during the day.

We washed everything (medela bottle nipples, plastic medela bottles (hate the new shape, harder to get clean), glass medela bottles in the dishwasher.

#22 of 26 Old 10-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Soap and water does a good job of getting germs off of the pump parts. I would only worry if you don't have a clean water source, or if you are pumping for a preemie that is still at high risk of infection. We would wash them on a regular cycle without the "sanitize" option, since parts that fell sometimes melted in the dishwasher we had. I just washed the little white valves by hand since that part is easy.

#23 of 26 Old 10-04-2011, 10:19 PM

I have been pumping since my girl was 2 months old, she is 21 months old and I am still pumping.  I used to wash the pump parts daily and kept them in the fridge when not pumping.  Gradually the time between washings extended to 2 days, 3 days, etc.  I usually wash the pump parts 1x a week, but have gone many times washing them 1x every 2 weeks.  Keep in mind though that I keep my fridge very cold, almost freezing.  I bought a fridge thermometer to be sure it wasn't borderline dangerous. Buy one at the hardware store for a couple of bucks.  Well worth it to be sure.  Also a freezer thermometer for freezing milk (that is another topic though).  I used to sterilize every time I washed (when baby was younger), but now I only sterilize one a month or so, or if the pump parts touched something questionable (believe it or not, I am bit of a germaphobe).  I still hand wash my pump parts with bottle brushes that can get into the crevices of the parts, otherwise, if not scrubbing the parts thoroughly, the milk "film" does not come off.  If you rub your fingers and you can still feel it kind of "greasy", the parts are not clean.   I used to sterilize the parts every time I washed when baby was younger but gradually got away from it.  I usually pump anywhere from 1x to 6x a day.  In any case, storing the pump parts in the fridge lessened the need to wash so often and it saved me!!!  Imagine washing 1x a week, much easier!!! 

The logic behind this weekly washing is that milk can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 8 days, so the pump parts should be fine too.  I haven't had any problems with the milk.  My baby has been drinking refrigerated and frozen milk since she was 4 months old.

#24 of 26 Old 10-05-2011, 12:31 AM

I started out obsessive about thorough cleaning/sterilizing (had a thirteen week preemie) and absolutely hated/dreaded pumping for all the hassles of washing/drying parts in public sinks (even the NICU pump room had no space to put parts down, etc.).  I bought the Medela wipes but never used them as I feared whatever chemicals they had and it didn't make sense to clean everything but the inner unreachable parts anyway. As my baby grew older and healthier I graduated to keeping unwashed parts in the refrigerator between pumpings and then ultimately to just keeping them out at room temperature (except in our unairconditioned summer) as breastmilk is safe unrefrigerated for 8-12 hours.  Certainly wish I'd figured that all out at the start, as my pumping regime (and thus my supply) suffered from the earlier time/hassle factor!!  I often left my parts soaking when handwashing and did use the dishwasher too.  I found these mesh dishwasher baskets easier than any others and more convenient for including the little white valves: http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Expandable-Dishwasher-Basket/dp/B000UFWQW0 (currently out of stock at amazon but maybe you could find them somewhere else).  Like others I worried about plastics leaching, too, as I hate any sort of plastic exposure but relaxing cleaning routines and worries about all this stuff definitely makes it more tolerable to keep going!

#25 of 26 Old 10-05-2011, 03:50 AM

#26 of 26 Old 10-05-2011, 07:02 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Oh, and I also refrigerated parts in between and washed once a day. I think 1-2 I went two days but I wouldn't recommend. Bacteria can still grow in refrigeration and your body can (hands, breasts) can harbor introduce other bacteria. You and I don't pump under "lab conditions."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page