Milk supply lower and lower and lower..? :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 17 Old 10-02-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
 
E m i c h i e e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was hoping someone could analyze my breastfeeding routine and my babys behaviour and tell me what is going on. I know sometimes I can give advice simply bc I have been through similar and maybe someone here can help.

I am afraid of losing the battle, and I don't have easily solved newbie questions I believe. :(

I have been EBF since my sons birth Aug. 19th, I was leaking a lot in pregnancy, had bottles full of colostrum (still have some frozen) and when my milk came in I was never empty and my baby always happy and milk drunk.
At 2 weeks I had a day where my son cluster fed all night and my flow slowed down. But it went back to normal. At 4 weeks he was cluster feeding day and night, always bringing the milk flow down to a minimum. When I am almost empty he gets so frustrated he just screams his head off.
I upped my supply with fenugreek, went off when I felt I had a lot and my supply dropped again. Way way low...it is rarely ever enough to just get him full and thats it. Mostly feedings go like this:
He acts hungry or fusses. I get ready to feed him, often he fights with me at the breast and won't latch on right away like he is hoping the milk will magically flow into his mouth. When he latches on, he is often not patient enough to suck until he gets a let down. My left side has not been having let downs on its own lately, so I have been unable to start him there. On the right it takes 5secs to 2mins. He eats like he has not eaten for days, seeming really stressed. After 1-6mins the milk flow slows down, sometimes he will keep sucking and get another let down, but often he just pops off and screams. I switch him over to get the let down on the left which I collect in a nipple shield (no drop is wasted), then continue feeding him. Sometimes the milk flows for a bit longer than just the initial letdown, sometimes that is all there is.
While he nurses he tends to tug, pull or even yank on my nipple, bite down on it, punch and kick me, grab my breast hard (babys act like that when they dislike a slow flow right?)
He often gets so frustrated he starts screaming and refusing to even try nursing any more. So we take him for a walk outside in the yard, which calms him best. Sometimes he will fall asleep and seem full or refuse eating when woken up but then wake and fuss again, more often he will last a half hour until I attempt feeding him again. I will have a bit more but be out after a few sucks.
Sometimes he screams on the top of his lungs until he turns purple and coughs, it makes me cry because I can''t just feed him.

 

I have spoken to Lactation cosultants, WIC, La Leche League Leaders and noone has been able to help. They think my supply MUST be good because he is gaining weight well. I think he may just be gaining well because I am feeding him 24/7, no joke. I often only get 2 hrs of free time. If he is not nursing he wants to be held and entertained 24/7 because he is rarely really full and may want to nurse again within a half hour. I have thought of so many games and things to do because he is hard to please. Things he may like one day won't work the next. I feel sore from nursing all the time, my back...my body,  I try to keep my head up. I have started taking fenugreek again, 4 days but no improvement, I pump once in a while (although I do have a bad hand pump and don't really like pumping), it does not work as well as the hospital pump I used to rent but can not afford and I only get a few drops.
I eat a diet high in fat and cooked paleo with a little bit of grains, am a bit worried it might be messing with my milk supply, my husband made me switch to paleo 2 weeks postpartum because he is worried about my auto immune diseases (controlled Hashimotos, Pituitary Tumor) and HPV/ pre cancer that won't clear. I understand his worries but maybe it is bad timing?
He says I can control what happens with my body and I will have milk if I just believe. I don't think that is all true, the whole time I have been very positive and cool about all breastfeeding challenges, just today I broke down bc my baby almost choked crying for milk (I ended up giving the saved let down through the nipple shield).

I don't believe he only nurses for comfort and not milk, whenever I give milk through the shield or have a let down he eats like there is no tommorow and gets a bit happier. If I fill his belly with unlimited pumped milk he is happy, lazy and goes to sleep or at least is happy awake.
If not he stays up and fusses the whole day.

He nurses very often during the day, every 1-2hrs, some days he goes 3-4hrs without eating and those are the days when the milk flows well, same at night when he sleeps at least 3 hrs.

I had hopes my supply was just low because of the nipple shield, that was given to me in the hospital, so I started working on him taking my almost flat nipples, after 3 days he is willing, feeding alright but maybe not great?
He needs the nipple to be drawn out and breast compressed to latch, once latched I need to hold the breast. I hear him suck and swallow better than with the shield actually but I am not sure my nipple is far enough in for him to milk it good.
Once I run low it is hell without the shield though, when he tugs and pulls and bites. When he comes off he maintains a firm grip instead of just letting go, it hurts.
For 2 days I have been using 50% shield and 50% nipple and no increase in milk yet. I would be ready to go without the shield fully if he would not be biting down and tugging in frustration...was counting on fenugreek to up my supply and then have him happily feed on the nipple.

EDIT: Since yesterday no more nipple shields needed, so I weaned from the shield within 5 days when I learned it can be bad.

 

Now I feel discouraged, I get funny looks for being so persistent despite the problems, people suggest pacifiers and bottles to me, say I have a fussy "bad baby"... even my mom said "at least you were able to do it for 6 weeks". Everyone thinks I simply dried up..
I refuse to give him a bottle of formula, if I only picture it I want to cry. He deserves to be fed by the breast.

Here are things I have been doing to increase my supply, help the flow:

  • Lots of water
  • High fat diet (snack on nuts, avocado)
  • Skin to skin
  • We co sleep so that helps too I have heard.
  • Warm bath and compresses
  • Have tea or nuts when nursing to signal my body its nursing time, like a ritual.
  • Some pumping, often I don't have time or I am afraid I pump off the milk I may need in 30 mins.


Sorry for the long post, but if you see anything I could do to improve my nursing experience please help!

I just want my baby to come off the breast happy and milk drunk, like he used to...he is a very happy baby when full. I don't believe he is "just fussy" like some have said. I don't want to see him so sad.

 

EDIT:

 

He was weight today and has not gained weight this week. The pediatrician thinks my milk supply might really be low and suggested to see a lactation consultant. Will do that.


fly-by-nursing1.gif

E m i c h i e e is offline  
#2 of 17 Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM
 
Megan73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry you're struggling with this and that this won't be what you want to hear...
I frankly would doubt that your supply is dwindling if - as you stated in your other thread - your baby is gaining a pound a week and everyone who's giving you hands-on help is telling you it's fine. It's true that milk flows faster from a full breast but that doesn't mean your breast is "empty" when baby nurses a lot, as they do when they're going through a growth spurt or nursing for comfort. Your breasts are always making more milk! It sounds like the fussy nursing kicked in at about the normal time for an increase in newborn fussiness, which starts about two to three weeks and is typically gone at three months or so, unless you're unlucky enough to have a "colicky" baby.
This page from kellymom.com has some info that may be useful about what to do with a fussy baby and some potential causes: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html
Here's one on growth spurts and why you shouldn't supplement: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html
Hang in there, mama. It's hard to deal with an unhappy baby and feel like you never get a break. Are you getting out with the baby in a carrier? Are you getting support from Mr. Positive Thinking? (As someone who's battled low supply I'd crack him over the head if he told me I just had to will myself to make more milk - simply NOT TRUE).

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Megan73 is offline  
#3 of 17 Old 10-03-2011, 02:03 PM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

I'm sorry you're struggling with this and that this won't be what you want to hear...
I frankly would doubt that your supply is dwindling if - as you stated in your other thread - your baby is gaining a pound a week and everyone who's giving you hands-on help is telling you it's fine. It's true that milk flows faster from a full breast but that doesn't mean your breast is "empty" when baby nurses a lot, as they do when they're going through a growth spurt or nursing for comfort. Your breasts are always making more milk! It sounds like the fussy nursing kicked in at about the normal time for an increase in newborn fussiness, which starts about two to three weeks and is typically gone at three months or so, unless you're unlucky enough to have a "colicky" baby.
This page from kellymom.com has some info that may be useful about what to do with a fussy baby and some potential causes: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html
Here's one on growth spurts and why you shouldn't supplement: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html
Hang in there, mama. It's hard to deal with an unhappy baby and feel like you never get a break. Are you getting out with the baby in a carrier? Are you getting support from Mr. Positive Thinking? (As someone who's battled low supply I'd crack him over the head if he told me I just had to will myself to make more milk - simply NOT TRUE).


I completely agree.  If your baby is gaining weight beautifully and having adequate wet and dirty diapers, there is no way you have "dried up".

 

6 weeks is a difficult time because it's a huge growth spurt.  For most nursing pairs, it takes about 6 weeks for things to sort of regulate and normalize, but for others it takes about 8 weeks.  Hang in there.  If he's going 3-4 between feedings at times, even if it's just once a day, that sounds wonderful to me.  My babies often nursed 15-20 times a day for months, and I had a spectacular supply.  Every 1-2 hours is completely normal and expected for a 6 week old.


A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
#4 of 17 Old 10-03-2011, 02:31 PM
 
foreverinbluejeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 1,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It sound like you are making breastfeeding way too difficult. Breastfeeding is easy. Your baby only needs to gain 4 ounces a week or a pound a month.  If your baby is gaining a pound a month then you are making enough milk. If your baby is gaining a pound a week (I didn't see that) then you are overfeeding your baby and that can make your baby fussy. Do it long enough and it can make your baby overweight.

 

You don't need to take herbs. You don't need to try and catch every drop of milk. You shouldn't pump if your baby is gaining fine. It will upset the supply and demand process.

 

It sounds like your concerns are flat nipples, nursing all the time, and fussy baby. I

 

A lot of people have helped you with the flat nipples and you are using nipple shields. Having more milk will not make your baby nurse better. Having more milk could make the breast bigger and make the nipple harder to grasp. You don't need to try and up your supply for flat nipples. 

 

I don't like nipple shields and you might consider finding someone that can help you nurse without them. Babies do no nurse nipples they nurse breasts. It you can get the baby to learn to latch really, really well it won't matter that you have flat nipples. Picture in your mind the wide open mouth and the tight seal and then when the baby starts to suckle the milk will come out.

 

Babies want to be held and entertained 24/7. Having a baby changes everything. Human babies have always been held and slept next to their mothers. That's how humans have survived. You don't need to play games with a 6 week old. Just hold him and keep him with you. He may like a sling. He may be like this until he crawls or walks. Babies have a tiny stomach and milk digests quickly. He may not sleep through the night until he is 3.

 

If your baby fusses when you put him down and then is OK when you pick him up or nurse then your baby is norma. He is letting you know his needs. He is fussing during feeding because he is frustrated. It doesn't help the situation. You might try using lavender in the room. It is supposed to be calming.

 

You might try reading about laid back breastfeeding. I don't know if it would help in your situation.

 


: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

foreverinbluejeans is offline  
#5 of 17 Old 10-03-2011, 03:06 PM
 
Megan73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans View Post

It sound like you are making breastfeeding way too difficult. Breastfeeding is easy. Your baby only needs to gain 4 ounces a week or a pound a month.  If your baby is gaining a pound a month then you are making enough milk. If your baby is gaining a pound a week (I didn't see that) then you are overfeeding your baby and that can make your baby fussy. Do it long enough and it can make your baby overweight.


Not true. Average weight gain for a breasfed baby up to four months old is between five and 8.5 ounces a week (depending on the reference) but many gain more than that. Unlike formula-fed babes, they grow fast in the first few months then taper off. In fact, the average breastfed baby doubles birthweight by three to four months. There's no evidence I've ever seen that this totally normal pattern is somehow harmful or that mothers should ration feedings to make sure their baby doesn't become a fat adult (!). Kellymom.com is a great source of evidence-based information on normal growth for breastfed infants.
OP, I should have added that it sounds like you're doing a GREAT job breastfeeding. You're at what for most babies is the peak of newborn fussiness. Mothering will get easier. Promise!
Bokonon likes this.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Megan73 is offline  
#6 of 17 Old 10-03-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
E m i c h i e e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Megan73

No, I really hope you are right and it is just the worst growth spurt ever, because there is no calming him no matter what a lot of the time. 

Sadly he has not gained anything the past week. I know it was a lot at first but my milk was flowing better and gradually got less.

We do take him out a lot either in the moby wrap, holding him or sometimes a stroller ride because he likes the ride. When he gets bored we always try to switch things up, other family members will hold him, we play games as in baby games..like turning on the twilight turtle because he loves the stars, he likes toys he likes when we sing and rock..

My husband is very supportive and wants me to breastfeed for at least a year too, he just is too focused on thinking its all in my head.

We took him to the pediatrician to rule out his tongue tie came back or hes is colicky or has reflux. The doctor, from what I told her thinks my supply might really be low, but also said to wait and see if he gaines weight the next week and she mentioned the growth spurt.

I did not know newborn fussiness lasts that long, but good to know.

 

Bokonon

Thank you! That is reassuring and we will see how he does after 8 weeks. It is hard with everyone making you crazy, my inlaws, the nurses at the hospital gave up then, but even LCs were surprised I even have milk because of my 'conditions'...:/

 

 


fly-by-nursing1.gif

E m i c h i e e is offline  
#7 of 17 Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
 
E m i c h i e e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 

 

Quote:
I had hopes my supply was just low because of the nipple shield, that was given to me in the hospital, so I started working on him taking my almost flat nipples, after 3 days he is willing, feeding alright but maybe not great?
He needs the nipple to be drawn out and breast compressed to latch, once latched I need to hold the breast. I hear him suck and swallow better than with the shield actually but I am not sure my nipple is far enough in for him to milk it good.
Once I run low it is hell without the shield though, when he tugs and pulls and bites. When he comes off he maintains a firm grip instead of just letting go, it hurts.
For 2 days I have been using 50% shield and 50% nipple and no increase in milk yet. I would be ready to go without the shield fully if he would not be biting down and tugging in frustration...was counting on fenugreek to up my supply and then have him happily feed on the nipple.

 

Foreverinbluejeans

 

I started weaning off the shields about 5 days ago, he was very resistant at first but since yesterday we have not used a shield at all. 

 

I have not received much help at all to get off the shields, I was told by a LC to use them because so many latch on attempts failed. She said the thin silicone ones won't harm the milk supply but I think they can. The stimulation feels way decreased.

Also upon posting a thread on the forums I was told again that its best to wean from the shields.

 

 

 

Quote:
You don't need to take herbs. You don't need to try and catch every drop of milk. You shouldn't pump if your baby is gaining fine. It will upset the supply and demand process.

Oh but the drops of milk have helped getting him more interested, he will latch better if it is rubbed on my nipples and when he is really fussy and refuses to try sucking for another let down, he will continue if we add a few extra drops of milk with a thin tube (lactation aid).

I watched breastfeeding videos on Dr. Newmans site and got that idea.

Gain: Well it slowed down, no gain this week. So I was thinking of pumping at the end of each feed to make sure they are all drained?

 

 

Quote:
Babies want to be held and entertained 24/7. Having a baby changes everything. Human babies have always been held and slept next to their mothers. That's how humans have survived. You don't need to play games with a 6 week old. Just hold him and keep him with you. He may like a sling. He may be like this until he crawls or walks. Babies have a tiny stomach and milk digests quickly. He may not sleep through the night until he is 3

I don't expect him to never be fussy or my life not being changed by having a baby, I'm 29 and was very ready for all the responsibilities.

What I was trying to explain is how he will often fuss no matter what because he seems hungry. He will scream no matter who holds him, and no matter how he is held or entertained. Of course we don't play monopoly with him, we play little baby games to get his mood up, he likes seeing different things and hearing different things, he looks at toys, lights, responds to rocking and bouncing etc.

I also don't expect him to be happy by himself for hrs, but 10 mins in a bouncy chair so I can clean up real quick or being happy in his wrap would be good. I also think he needs to sleep during the day... he barely does, 1-2 hrs., and I can not always sleep with him during the day...At night I would sleep with him even if he was not fussy, same goes for holding of course, I think you misunderstood some things and I hope I cleared it up.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
If your baby fusses when you put him down and then is OK when you pick him up or nurse then your baby is norma. He is letting you know his needs. 

That would be awesome but he fusses when I  hold him too...

 

 

 

Quote:
You might try reading about laid back breastfeeding. I don't know if it would help in your situation.

I will look it up thank you!

.

 

 

 

 

 


fly-by-nursing1.gif

E m i c h i e e is offline  
#8 of 17 Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 PM
 
etsdtm99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i'm going to repeat some things other people said i'm sure but i'll say them anyway - laid back breastfeeding/biological nurturing is worth looking into..

 

lots of moms say whole grains increase milk supply (like oatmeal, but other grains work too) and many women swear by fiber drinks.

 

have you considered food allergies/intolerances ?

 

some babies really do nurse every 45 mins, all. day. long. picture women walking around hunter/gatherer style with a baby in a carrier on the front nursing on and off all day long, and then sleeping in mom's arms all night long.. wouldn't be such a big deal then..  walking around outside, nursing whenever they want and having the motion of mom's movements for comfort.. many babies and moms are able to adapt to the modern way of doing things (going longer between feedings, putting baby down, etc) and some just can't ..

 

my youngest gained over 1lb a week the first 3 weeks and nearly nothing the 2nd 3 weeks .. nothing was wrong, average it out and she gained within the normal range,as long as there is good diaper output, weight gain can go up and down.. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
etsdtm99 is offline  
#9 of 17 Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
E m i c h i e e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdtm99 View Post

i'm going to repeat some things other people said i'm sure but i'll say them anyway - laid back breastfeeding/biological nurturing is worth looking into..

 

lots of moms say whole grains increase milk supply (like oatmeal, but other grains work too) and many women swear by fiber drinks.

 

have you considered food allergies/intolerances ?

 

some babies really do nurse every 45 mins, all. day. long. picture women walking around hunter/gatherer style with a baby in a carrier on the front nursing on and off all day long, and then sleeping in mom's arms all night long.. wouldn't be such a big deal then..  walking around outside, nursing whenever they want and having the motion of mom's movements for comfort.. many babies and moms are able to adapt to the modern way of doing things (going longer between feedings, putting baby down, etc) and some just can't ..

 

my youngest gained over 1lb a week the first 3 weeks and nearly nothing the 2nd 3 weeks .. nothing was wrong, average it out and she gained within the normal range,as long as there is good diaper output, weight gain can go up and down.. 

 

He def.likes to sleep very close in the nursing side lying position so that makes sense. What carrier would you think is best for nursing while walking, I think slings maybe, but looking them up I was unsure which ones are best? I am usually using a moby wrap and sometimes he likes it and sometimes not, we also switched the hold and I wonder if him not liking it has to do with my body...I know it may sound funny but I'm thin and my boobs stick out far and he is sort of dangling off of my boobs, whereas when my MIL holds him, who is build differently he can rest on her like she is one even cushion ;(..., maybe a certain position works best for me?

 

 


fly-by-nursing1.gif

E m i c h i e e is offline  
#10 of 17 Old 10-04-2011, 05:31 AM
 
Megan73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E m i c h i e e View Post

Megan73

No, I really hope you are right and it is just the worst growth spurt ever, because there is no calming him no matter what a lot of the time. 

Sadly he has not gained anything the past week. I know it was a lot at first but my milk was flowing better and gradually got less.

We do take him out a lot either in the moby wrap, holding him or sometimes a stroller ride because he likes the ride. When he gets bored we always try to switch things up, other family members will hold him, we play games as in baby games..like turning on the twilight turtle because he loves the stars, he likes toys he likes when we sing and rock..

My husband is very supportive and wants me to breastfeed for at least a year too, he just is too focused on thinking its all in my head.

We took him to the pediatrician to rule out his tongue tie came back or hes is colicky or has reflux. The doctor, from what I told her thinks my supply might really be low, but also said to wait and see if he gaines weight the next week and she mentioned the growth spurt.

I did not know newborn fussiness lasts that long, but good to know.

 

Bokonon

Thank you! That is reassuring and we will see how he does after 8 weeks. It is hard with everyone making you crazy, my inlaws, the nurses at the hospital gave up then, but even LCs were surprised I even have milk because of my 'conditions'...:/

 

 


Sorry - you didn't mention that he hasn't gained any weight in a week. I would keep doing what you're doing - maybe try breast compressions and lots of skin-to-skin in a sling or wrap - and see what happens in a week. The book "The Nursing Mother's Guide to Making More Milk" might be a good read for you - it has lots of info on hormones and the "milk factory." I would guess your baby has colic - like my older son.Hang in there. I remember how truly awful it was for a few months but he will outgrow it - mine was a different baby by six months and is now a delightful toddler.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Megan73 is offline  
#11 of 17 Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
 
E m i c h i e e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post


Sorry - you didn't mention that he hasn't gained any weight in a week. I would keep doing what you're doing - maybe try breast compressions and lots of skin-to-skin in a sling or wrap - and see what happens in a week. The book "The Nursing Mother's Guide to Making More Milk" might be a good read for you - it has lots of info on hormones and the "milk factory." I would guess your baby has colic - like my older son.Hang in there. I remember how truly awful it was for a few months but he will outgrow it - mine was a different baby by six months and is now a delightful toddler.

I only learned yesterday at his weight in that he has not gained. I do breast compression also, as well as skin to skin and the moby wrap...:(

The book sounds interesting thank you. We also took a bath yesterday, he was very relaxed and nursed in the bath. I wish there were more ways of calming him because if he is happy he nurses very well...like on the go, outside. Maybe I should try a sling instead of the wrap.

 

Yesterday my milk increased a bit...on day 3 without the nipple shield even my left felt a bit full, usually it feels so empty it is pre pregnancy size. The right feels soft but I do notice fullness, not hard or engorged though.

I have never looked up colic....will google it.
 

 


fly-by-nursing1.gif

E m i c h i e e is offline  
#12 of 17 Old 10-04-2011, 06:36 PM
 
Bokonon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I see that you are in San Diego - I would HIGHLY recommend you go to the breastfeeding support group at Sharp Mary Birch Hospital.  You don't have to have delivered there, or even be a Sharp patient to attend the free meetings.  They have meetings on Mondays and Fridays, but I don't know the times, so you might want to call and check.  You can do before and after nursing weights and talk to a lactation educator-counselor.  I cannot recommend this support group strongly enough.  :)


A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Bokonon is offline  
#13 of 17 Old 10-04-2011, 07:54 PM
 
Mom2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so sorry to hear you are having a difficult time, I remember being so frustrated even till about 8 weeks with DD1 and then things got so much better! For increasing supply, I never tried the herbs or anything but I did try oatmeal.
It works for me almost immediately. I just make regular oatmeal on the stove with the old fashioned oats. I swear within a few hours I feel fuller and it helps for low supply times like during PMS.
I hope things get easier soon!


Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Mom2M is offline  
#14 of 17 Old 10-05-2011, 06:39 AM
 
etsdtm99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

a moby wrap is a good carrier for nursing because of the possibilities- try looking up some youtube videos on positions, that is how i learned how to nurse in a wrap while walking  i'm sure you can find a position where he feels comfortable 

 

My first DD had 'colic' so do read up on that. 

 

also, i just realized that you are at a point where your supply could be regulating and then you wouldn't feel full at all unless you'd gone too long ebtween feedings.. that full feeling is only something that happens in the early days - so many moms panic when their breasts don't feel full anymore,but sometime between 6 weeks and about 4 months most moms stop feeling full


- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
etsdtm99 is offline  
#15 of 17 Old 10-08-2011, 01:27 PM
 
Parker'smommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

 I was thinking..." I just want to give her a hug. It sounds like she needs it" and then I see that you live close to me.... :)  ( I don't want to scare you....but you can pm me if you want to ever meet up at a park or something) 

 

 

Honey....I was in your shoes last year exactly!! omgoodness. And it was my 3rd baby, so I was trying to do everything, plus take care of my other two. It got me really sad thinking that my baby was just so unhappy. And it lasted until she was around 5 1/2 months, but BAM! she became the sweet angel she is today. I get so many compliments on her sweet disposition now and I tell them, " She's making up for the first 6 months of hell I was in!" lol......I also remember thinking, " oh, this is why people think they don't have enough milk!" But because I am an experienced breastfeeding mom ( breastfed my 2 olders for a combined 7 years) I knew my supply was fine. 

 

Hugs, sweetie. You can do this!

erigeron likes this.

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Parker'smommy is offline  
#16 of 17 Old 10-08-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
 
E m i c h i e e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


So, I'm back with news.

Still fighting the battle, but I got my supply up for a few days.

I think mostly fenugreek did the trick. I became egorged and had plugged ducts in my left breast, but he started to nurse really really well, was on a every 2 hr schedule, came off happy and fussed less. He was even willing to nurse well on the left and was patient for let down.

 

It only lasted for a few days and I am way low again, I can hardly pump any, he is frustrated and screams his head off. I don't know what happened, all I know is I did not take fenugreek for a day when I was so extremely full.

 

Do you think I will always depend on fenugreek or even meds? Should I look into Domperidone maybe?

 

I don't know how to feed him right now, am pumping even though nothing is coming out and hope it stimulates it enough so he can eat in 1 hr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

I see that you are in San Diego - I would HIGHLY recommend you go to the breastfeeding support group at Sharp Mary Birch Hospital.  You don't have to have delivered there, or even be a Sharp patient to attend the free meetings.  They have meetings on Mondays and Fridays, but I don't know the times, so you might want to call and check.  You can do before and after nursing weights and talk to a lactation educator-counselor.  I cannot recommend this support group strongly enough.  :)

It is hard for me to get there because we don't have a car, but I have seen a LC.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M View Post

I'm so sorry to hear you are having a difficult time, I remember being so frustrated even till about 8 weeks with DD1 and then things got so much better! For increasing supply, I never tried the herbs or anything but I did try oatmeal.
It works for me almost immediately. I just make regular oatmeal on the stove with the old fashioned oats. I swear within a few hours I feel fuller and it helps for low supply times like during PMS.
I hope things get easier soon!

I will try oatmeal, does whole grain bread do the trick too?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdtm99 View Post

a moby wrap is a good carrier for nursing because of the possibilities- try looking up some youtube videos on positions, that is how i learned how to nurse in a wrap while walking  i'm sure you can find a position where he feels comfortable 

 

My first DD had 'colic' so do read up on that. 

 

also, i just realized that you are at a point where your supply could be regulating and then you wouldn't feel full at all unless you'd gone too long ebtween feedings.. that full feeling is only something that happens in the early days - so many moms panic when their breasts don't feel full anymore,but sometime between 6 weeks and about 4 months most moms stop feeling full


I started feeling less full at 2 weeks, but this is really a low supply issue, :( I am VERY VERY sure. I can tell when he nurses and gets nice swallows of milk and when he gets nothing.

 


fly-by-nursing1.gif

E m i c h i e e is offline  
#17 of 17 Old 10-08-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
E m i c h i e e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker'smommy View Post

 I was thinking..." I just want to give her a hug. It sounds like she needs it" and then I see that you live close to me.... :)  ( I don't want to scare you....but you can pm me if you want to ever meet up at a park or something) 

 

 

Honey....I was in your shoes last year exactly!! omgoodness. And it was my 3rd baby, so I was trying to do everything, plus take care of my other two. It got me really sad thinking that my baby was just so unhappy. And it lasted until she was around 5 1/2 months, but BAM! she became the sweet angel she is today. I get so many compliments on her sweet disposition now and I tell them, " She's making up for the first 6 months of hell I was in!" lol......I also remember thinking, " oh, this is why people think they don't have enough milk!" But because I am an experienced breastfeeding mom ( breastfed my 2 olders for a combined 7 years) I knew my supply was fine. 

 

Hugs, sweetie. You can do this!

Thank you!  :)I will PM you once I have gotten a bit more help with this, will see a LC again on thursday.

Right now it is hard leaving the house with him because he will be hungry and fussy, nursing constantly to get enough.

I hope it oes up again, back to 5 pills of fenugreek.
 

 


fly-by-nursing1.gif

E m i c h i e e is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off