Colostrum for 2mo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-05-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going back to work next Monday greensad.gif and DH will be caring for DS while I'm gone. I've been freezing some milk to make a stash, and I assume that I should start using the oldest stuff first, right?  Well, I have a few bags of colostrum/early milk from the first week when I was trying to relieve my engorgement. Is this ok to feed my almost 2mo? Should I dilute it with bm? 

I'd hate to toss it, but I don't want to make him feel unwell. Thanks! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#2 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 AM

If it's, been frozen less than the strangers amt of time (less than 3 months to be safe) it should be fine. I would mix it with freshly expressed milk though, because bm changes comp with baby's needs. Unless it's spoiled I can't imagine it would make him sick ?

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#3 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 03:44 PM

Colostrum is wonderful! I can't see any reason not to give it, unless you want to keep it for when baby has a cold. Good luck for your first days at work!

#4 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, ladies!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#5 of 6 Old 10-08-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

I've been freezing some milk to make a stash, and I assume that I should start using the oldest stuff first, right?

I attend a "lactation lounge" (ie. support group) for breastfeeding mamas that's led by an IBCLC. She always makes a point of telling the working/pumping mamas to give their babies the fresh milk pumped the previous work day instead of frozen. That way they're getting the current antibodies and full nutrition of fresh milk. To keep the frozen milk from going bad maybe you could cycle out a single bottle of frozen milk once in a while?

I hope your return to work goes smoothly!
#6 of 6 Old 10-08-2011, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by elluin View Post

I attend a "lactation lounge" (ie. support group) for breastfeeding mamas that's led by an IBCLC. She always makes a point of telling the working/pumping mamas to give their babies the fresh milk pumped the previous work day instead of frozen. That way they're getting the current antibodies and full nutrition of fresh milk. To keep the frozen milk from going bad maybe you could cycle out a single bottle of frozen milk once in a while?
I hope your return to work goes smoothly!

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the input.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page