What happened when you took the paci away from your EBF baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-06-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD turned 8 months old a week and a half ago. To make a long story short, she was a very "sucky" newborn, so our LC advised me to introduce a pacifier, which went well at first. I recently noticed DD's interest in/need for the paci waining, so I decided to take it away about five days ago. She was only using it at night to fall asleep, and was mostly nursing to sleep without it for her two naps. We recently had thrush, so I was also hoping to eliminate any reservoirs of candida. Last week I felt she was ready, and she has been able to transition to nursing to sleep at bedtime, although it takes about half an hour for her to completely settle down and fall asleep (with no additional fussiness than with the paci, if anything, with significantly less fussiness).

I have noticed since taking away the pacifier that I am getting less milk at my daily 11am pumping session. Is this related to additional time she 's spending at the breast, or is my supply dropping? I used to get 6 oz and now I am down to 4 oz. I like to have a little expressed milk on hand just in case...

Let me know what you all think, please. I would love to hear what happened when your EBF babies gave up their pacifiers. TIA!
#2 of 3 Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 PM

DS is 8 months. Just before 7 months his first tooth started coming through - his interest in his paci was fading so we took it away completely. He's got 2 teeth now, and still is quite happy without the paci (i don't even know where it is anymore)...

I noticed my milk waning a little - but I'm positive that in our situation DS was simply drinking more. Today he was eating every 1 1/2 hrs. He'll gnaw on snap peas and devour nectarines... and potatoes every once in a while, but it's all milk... (I actually came online today to post a cry for help - I am EXHAUSTED).

Is it possible your LO is sucking/drinking more now that the paci is gone? Maybe you need to eat/drink more??

I really have no sound advice, I'm a newbie. Hope someone with more knowledge/experience comes along... in the mean time, our LOs are paci free!! That's sorta great, no?? (I'm happy)

covert crunchy wife to guitar.gif & mama to DSbabyf.gif02/11. Dreaming of travelling the earth.gif as soon as we catch up on some sleeping.gif

#3 of 3 Old 10-17-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply!  How are things going with you?

I am also so relieved our babies are paci-free. Giving up the paci with a toddler was a looming tantrum mountain I definitely was not looking forward to climbing.  I can sympathize with the frequent feedings; we are also on an every hour and a half schedule during the day.  Hang in there.  My baby spontaneously started sleeping from 9:30p to 5:00a last week after waking up every two hours or so since birth.  Miracles do happen ;)

Deepfeet likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page