Becoming a Wetnurse... ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Forest For The Trees  stillheart.gif  Radical Family Support Consulting for Growing Families (ask me!)
10+ Years in Professional Holistic Childcare and Support / Alternative Education / Unschooling my Friend, Z (4)

Future Community-Dwelling, Stay-at-Home, Sole-Parent by Choice!

#2 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 PM

On becoming a wet nurse vs. just simply donating milk regularly, I'd say some things would be:

-Setting expectations with the family you choose to work with.  How long are they wanting this service of you, vs. how long you'd like to offer it.

-Decide what you'd like your compensation to be, if any.

-Making sure you're willing to commit to the tribulations of breastfeeding.  If you'd actually be directly nursing the child, making sure you're prepared for the physical challenges that often come with that.  And if you'll be a dedicated pumper, making sure you're prepared to take on the responsibilities associated with nursing a child (watching alcohol intake, eating well, not taking medications, etc.).

As for where to advertise, I'm fairly certain that the sale of raw milk is prohibited in most places...  That said, Craigslist, any natural parenting groups, your tribal area on MDC, or any local adoption groups might be good places to start.

To me it seems like a very complex relationship to have with strangers.  Once money exchanges hands, it can change expectations for both parties, so I would make sure that you're very clear about what your requirements are for an arrangement like this.

Best of luck!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#3 of 8 Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 AM

Have you consulted a physician?  If you are lactating enough to support a child then I would rule out a pituitary tumor.  https://health.google.com/health/ref/Prolactinoma

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#4 of 8 Old 10-07-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_McG View Post

Have you consulted a physician?  If you are lactating enough to support a child then I would rule out a pituitary tumor.  https://health.google.com/health/ref/Prolactinoma

Please see a doctor!   According to your signature you don't hav children.  While relactating is not unknown, spontaneous lactation of a woman who doesn't have children (or who hasn't been pregnant) is a worrying sign.  Are you taking any medications that could possibly be causing this?

#5 of 8 Old 10-08-2011, 11:26 AM

I agree with previous posters.  Lactation in a woman who has never given birth, even if she is caring for a baby, is cause for concern...especially if the lactation wasn't brought about on purpose (as in an adoptive mother who wants to nurse her adoptive baby).  Only two things that I know of frequently cause this kind of lactation: one is an antipsychotic medication, and the other is a pituitary brain tumor called a prolactinoma.  While I think it's cool that you want to be generous with your milky bounty, I really think your first step should be seeking medical attention for your probable medical issue.  My friend Deanna had a prolactinoma, and they're very treatable, but it's bad to let them go unaddressed!

#6 of 8 Old 10-09-2011, 12:39 PM

Whoa.  Totally missed the not yet a mother part!  Sweet mama, please get thee to a doctor!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#7 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 12:57 PM

To be a wetnurse you have to have a baby. Either your baby has to die or you nurse your baby and the other person's baby. I guess you could bottle feed your baby and nurse the other person's baby. For the milk to be right for the baby the baby would need to be about the same age as your baby. The family of the baby would expect you to be tested for diseases that could be transmitted.

There are psychological issues for everyone involved. Sometimes sisters or other relatives do this for each other or very close friends. Of course CPS can be called for any reason and if you were doing this for profit there could be legal problems. You could be in trouble for molesting the child or other charges.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#8 of 8 Old 10-11-2011, 05:07 PM

OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans View Post

To be a wetnurse you have to have a baby. Either your baby has to die or you nurse your baby and the other person's baby. I guess you could bottle feed your baby and nurse the other person's baby.

You could also continue nursing your own child while wet-nursing.  Just like tandemn nursing mothers, or mothers of multiples can have supply enough for two babies, so *could* a wetnurse.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page