Pumping issues large breasted. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had to have an emergency c-section Friday and then my baby was put on an IV and un-able to attempt breast feeding due to resp destress.

I have been attempting to pump but am having some issues, I will be calling my lactation consultant Tuesday (Mon is a holiday) but I thought I would ask here too.

I am using a Medela Lactina Select from the hospital.

I am a soft, saggy 44f.

When pumping I find it hard to get the pump on in such a way that it does not lose its "latch" with every release (after it sucks in, not sure how else to explain it)...it sucks in my nipple, makes a popping sound, and as it releases my nipple the flange loses air (I feel it puffing out).

Also, since Im un able to breast feed currently and pumping is my only option, how long and how often should I be pumping?

Is not getting a lot normal after 2 days?

I got 2 ML with this mornings first try (15-20 minutes) then I got almost 5 ML of really nice, thick and yellow colostrum this afternoon then back down to 1 ML at the next go around.

It is normal to not have real milk yet too?

Im so so scared that not being able to breast feed and only pumping is going to destroy my supply or not help it come in.

Im a first time mom who planned on a natural birth and breast feeding so any guidance would be so so appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 PM

Sorry things did not go as planned. I too planned a natural birth and ended with emergency C.

I had my C on a friday and my milk did not come in until after I came home, on a monday or tuesday.

I hope the LC can help you with the pump? I would think they woudl have someone there trained on how to use it. You can get different size horns and it sounds like it might not fit properly?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:58 PM

The amount you're getting in spite of such a poor fit with you pump sounds awesome! When I was pumping for DS1after my milk was already in, I was lucky to get 2 full oz from a pumping session. When I had a cs with ds1, it was5 days before my milk came in.

I think you're doing everything you should, just get into the LC ASAP to fix the fit with the pump.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Everyone's milk comes in. The women who don't breastfeed have to go through their milk coming in and being engorged. The issue now is your baby isn't getting colostrum and may be getting bottles. If your baby can take anything by mouth you should be allowed to breastfeed. The colostrum is important in many ways. It helps the stools move out of the baby so bilirubin levels are lower and there are fewer issues with jaundice. Those ml of colostrum are liquid gold and someone can give it to the baby by cup or dropper. You can insist that your baby not get bottles.  

You should be pumping 8-12 times a day. All of the OB nurses should be able to help you with the pump. You can call a local LLL Leader, any Leader in your state, or the LLL International helpline. You can find Leader's phone numbers on the LLL web site. They will be happy to help you by phone, it doesn't matter if it is Columbus day or if it is the evening. It is better if it isn't the middle of the night but Leaders do get calls in the middle of the night.

With the first baby it takes 3-5 days for milk to come in. Since your baby isn't nursing it may take longer. I'm so sorry you had to have a C-section and are going through this on a weekend.  

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 PM

Ignore advice that contradicts medical advice about feeding your baby.

I followed your story in another forum and I'm rooting for you and think you're doing GREAT.

In terms of pumping with bigger breasts, I have to hold my breast and hold the pump or it tends to pop off. I have used the harder shields with some luck.

My milk took at least 3 days to come in and I'd say 4 to come in "all the way",. It's hard to be patient when you have a baby who needs milk, I know.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Things have gotten way better!

My WIC lactation consultant went in with me on Monday, even though the office was closed, and got me some smaller flanges that work so much better.

I also made a pumping bra out of an old sleep bra and Im now hands free!! Its so wonderful!!

Im getting around 1.5 - 2 ounces per breast when I go 2-3 hours and around 2-3 ounces per breast when I go 4 hours (I gave myself a 4 hour break last night because I kept falling asleep while pumping) so my supply has definetly increased.

Do those numbers sound reasonable for 6 days out?

We managed to get a latch for about 10 minutes yesterday using a breast shield, he is lazy with suckling but we also switched him to slow flow nipples on his bottle so hopefully he will get better...Im just thrilled with any improvement at this point.

The football hold is working much better for me and Im feeling a lot more confident that we will be able to do this!!

Old 10-17-2011, 10:37 AM

those numbers sound great, and will steadily grow. you ar doing a wonderful job!

glad you made yourself a pumping bra, they really helped me, (i was a E cup) i actually flow best when i have a bra on that is just snug enough to hold the seal, but no more so it does not push the nipple back into the breast tissue, that can cut off flow.

my preemies did not latch at all till day 10 and 11 and it took a long time to balance things out. it actually took 6 months to get off the need for bottles totally (we still very occasionally use them by choice now) this is not to say in any way that it will take you that long, it is just to show that its never to late to have a great breastfeeding experience with your baby! my twins are now 10 months and breastfeeding wonderfully and only now just starting the tiniest amount of baby lead solids. (which they also love)

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 PM

I was going to suggest making a nursing bra out of an old sports bra and get different sized flanges.  It sounds like things are going much better.  I'm glad to hear it, I had a home birth planned and endedup with a c-section, I know how hard it can all be.  Hope everything continues to go well.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Its day 11 and yesterday I got 30 ounces in 24 hours.

Is that a good amount?

I have been falling asleep during my night time/early morning pumpings so I have thrown in a 4 hour break, do you guys think thats going to kill my supply?

I usually do 2-3 hours during the day (I mix it up depending on whats going on) and then I do 3,4,3 at night.

Im getting between 3 and 5 ounces at my 3 hour pumpings and between 5-6 1/2 ounces during the 4 hour break.

We also had a bit of success today with breast feeding.

After a few days of failed attempts and then no attempts because I was stressed we managed to get a solid 45 minutes of good feeding in, he unlatched himself and drifted off at the end of it.

So happy to have some success.

He is still in the NICU though :(

Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 AM

It really sounds like you are on a great roll!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 PM

I'm so glad he latched on! 

It sounds like your pumping a lot.  Kellymom says that most babies drink about 25 ounces a day so 30 is great!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Here's more pumping tips

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html#normal

Old 10-26-2011, 06:43 PM

Way to go mama!  I think 30 oz. is PLENTY for now.  Is he being tube fed or bottle fed in the NICU?  I would just try to match your output to what he's consuming there, maybe plus a couple of ounces.  But don't over do it! 

My DD was in the hospital for 3 weeks after her birth (even though she was full term), and it took SIX painful days for my milk to come in, really at all.  I think you're doing awesome.  A word of caution though--I pumped on about the same schedule as you, and ended up with massive oversupply because I didn't really slow down.  So if you're getting as much as he's eating daily, maybe cut it back to 3 hours during the day and then 4 at night?  The extra rest will help with your recovery, too. 

And don't get discouraged about your BFing relationship, it will be great.  Keep nursing him when you can.  My DD didn't latch for the first time until she was 3 weeks old and it was only a few days after that before she was on the boob 100% of the time. 

Go mama, and congrats on your new one!  I hope he's home in your arms as soon as possible.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

Way to go mama!  I think 30 oz. is PLENTY for now.  Is he being tube fed or bottle fed in the NICU?  I would just try to match your output to what he's consuming there, maybe plus a couple of ounces.  But don't over do it! 

My DD was in the hospital for 3 weeks after her birth (even though she was full term), and it took SIX painful days for my milk to come in, really at all.  I think you're doing awesome.  A word of caution though--I pumped on about the same schedule as you, and ended up with massive oversupply because I didn't really slow down.  So if you're getting as much as he's eating daily, maybe cut it back to 3 hours during the day and then 4 at night?  The extra rest will help with your recovery, too. 

And don't get discouraged about your BFing relationship, it will be great.  Keep nursing him when you can.  My DD didn't latch for the first time until she was 3 weeks old and it was only a few days after that before she was on the boob 100% of the time. 

Go mama, and congrats on your new one!  I hope he's home in your arms as soon as possible.

Pfft, Im now up to 45-47 ounces per 24 hours, they joke with me at the NICU that I could feed all the babies...seriously, they had to tell me to start storing at home lol.

We cant breastfeed right now due to them wanting to thicken his feeds but Im hoping that will change soon, he seems to be stabilizing and I plan on asking to attempt to breastfeed a few times a day and see if he continues to do OK with that.

It sucks because we got a few really great feeding sessions in before they started with the rice cereal, Im hoping we can recover the lost time :(

Thanks for all the input, Im still doing a mix of 2-3 hours during the day and one 4 hour at night...Im terrified that if I cut back I will lose too much of my supply....I worked so hard to get it going good!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:51 AM

I am glad you got the hang of pumping and have such great output.

I hope your baby is able to get out of the NICU soon.hug2.gif

User Tag List