Pregnant While Breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-22-2011, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello :) I'm new to this site, but hoping for a little advice!

I have a 3 month old son who I exclusively breastfeed and I've also been taking the mini pill since I was 6 weeks post partum, but I was very flaky on it...not taking it at the exact same time everyday, forgetting to take it some days, etc. Due to some side effects I was having on the pill, I quit taking it 2 days ago however I've also been having weird symptoms over the past week. My nipples are sore when my son is eating and my breasts (mostly my left one) are tender especially when I'm wearing him or carrying him around (I feel it a lot more). I've been having some mild cramping as well. I've also noticed that my let-down isn't as frequent as it usually is. I've always had a pretty constant and strong let-down, but it's definitely slowed down. My son doesn't seem overly fussy at the breast, but he does unlatch a lot (it almost seems as if he's distracted by looking around though lol). I guess I should also add that my period hasn't returned either. My postpartum bleeding stopped at 4 weeks and I haven't had anything since.

I have a blood test booked for next Wednesday to check for pregnancy, but I was just wondering what you ladies think?

Thank you!

Cecillia | 22 | Love Jesus | Happily Married | WTT #2: 2015

Breastfeeding, Babywearing, Gentle Parenting crunchy momma to an unvaxxed intact sweet boy.

novaxnocirc.gif goorganic.jpg

#2 of 5 Old 10-28-2011, 01:45 PM

It is not unusual for a breastfeeding woman to go up to a year without having a period. The things you mention sound vague. I wouldn't have the blood pregnancy test. I would do a urine pregnancy test and follow up with another a week later and if I was still not sure a week later.

You can take your temp every morning and plot it on graphs that you print out and then you will know if you are ovulating and you will know when you should be getting your period. You can use this as birth control (natural family planning) or along with other methods of birth control. I always liked knowing what my body was doing. In the old days before home pregnancy tests we used the temp charts to know if we were pregnant. You could tell from the charts before the old lab urine tests. I used to be a medical lab technologist in the 1970s.

The home urine tests are as good as the doctor's office or hospital lab. Often doctors or labs buy home tests because they are cheaper. The blood test tells just a few days sooner and isn't worth the cost of the test and doctor appointment. Some doctors and labs like making money any way they can. A problem with the urine test is a large percentage of women manage to do the test wrong. As long as you follow the instructions it is just as good and you get to find out right away.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#3 of 5 Old 11-07-2011, 07:15 AM

If you just stopped the mini-pill a couple of days ago, you may be gearing up to ovulate.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#4 of 5 Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 PM

Excellent advice, foreverinbluejeans!  FAM all the way!  

I have to add that there are a lot of things going on between you and your baby that will make you think you are pregnant.  For instance, I thought I was pregnant once when it turned out DD was getting teeth.  Then I thought I was pregnant and I got my first cycle.  Then I thought I was pregnant and I was pregnant : )  

Your son is at the age where he could be gearing up to cut some teeth, hence the discomfort.  Be sure when you are wearing him to position him so neither he or the carrier is smashing or cutting into your breast- besides discomfort you could potentially cause a blocked duct.  Also, they say supply begins to regulate around three months- my letdown was forceful for five months, though.  It also seems to me that after I've had one baby I am more conscious of sensations in my reproductive area.  

Stock up on home pregnancy tests.  Good luck!  

#5 of 5 Old 11-17-2011, 04:58 PM

Have you had your first period yet postpartum? Odds are extremely low to conceive prior to your first pp AF when exclusively breastfeeding a baby that is under 6 months.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page