If you HAD to use a formula... which brand would it be? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-23-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm going to dare asking this question here.  Should I duck?  ;)  First, a little background.  I nursed my daughter for 14 months until I wanted to get pregnant again and wasn't 100% sure if I was ovulating.  When she was 15 months, I found out I was pregnant already!  Now that my son is 4 months old, and I have to leave him for four days, I wanted to make sure that we had enough milk stored in my absence.  I diligently pumped and froze over 200 oz.  To get him used to being without me I had two trial nights at my parents' house where he stayed... and didn't eat!  I had to come get him because he simply would not take a bottle.  It turns out that I have an enzyme in my milk- lipase, which breaks down the fat solids.  After about 3-4 hours the milk just turns and has an unbearable taste for my baby.  After a midwife and grandmother and family practitioner- advised standoff, I knew there was no way he would ever take a bottle... of my previously frozen milk!  But... he will drink fresh milk from the bottle!  The only way to avoid the chemical reaction is to first scald (not boil!!!) the milk and then freeze it.  However, I am leaving on Friday and do not have any way to replace the milk that I have stored with pumped, scalded, frozen replenishments.  I'm thinking that it wouldn't harm him to have him on formula for the four days I'm away.  I have no access to other milk supplies from other mamas, and wouldn't really want to go to the milk bank for fear of taking it from a baby that needed it more than my son.  He'll get nursed for at least another year after this weekend, and I know what to do from now on.  So again my question... if you HAD to use formula... which brand would it be?  Thanks so much in advance!  Lastly, this message is not meant to be incendiary.  I know how political it can get with feeding your child formula, this is a temporary solution to an unforeseen problem and I really wish I didn't feel I needed to feed him that stuff!  Help!

#2 of 5 Old 10-24-2011, 05:21 AM

With the evidence I have read about introduction of formula changing the gut flora, if I had access to a milk bank I'd go there for donor milk before giving formula. If there was no milk bank and no other mama's milk (which is not the case for me, I have access to a mom who would nurse my baby) I would take my baby with me for those 4 days. I would not give formula unless my baby needed it medically.

That's coming from the privileged position of living in Canada and having 12 months paid maternity leave.

For a mama not in that position, I would suggest an elemental liquid formula (my DS reacts to dairy and soy in my milk, so feeding him a dairy or soy based formula would have seriously affected his health.)

I feel for you Mama - I have the same lipase problem. Are you able to take baby with you? What about pumping and scalding this week so baby at least has 1-2 bottles of breastmilk a day while you are gone?

I'm sure some mamas here will have suggestions about formulas that are not elemental if you don't have dairy allergy issues. Kellymom has lots of good info too http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/infant-formula.html

#3 of 5 Old 10-25-2011, 11:14 AM

WAPF formula is tops in my book.
We have done both the goat and cow versions.
Cost is nearly identical to commercial formula.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#4 of 5 Old 10-25-2011, 02:47 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Baby's Only has the best reputation. Labeled toddler formula so as to not run afoul of the WHO's Breastfeeding code.

But I would caution you that it really isn't as simple as that. You can't just say, by the way kid here is your new food from your new vessel and expect it go well. You have no idea if his body will tolerate formula or what type or what brand. many ebf babies do very poorly when given formula for the first time.  His caregiver will likely have a terrible time as will he. If there is any way to change or postpone your trip I think you should strongly consider it.

#5 of 5 Old 10-26-2011, 02:31 PM

Not soy.

I wouldn't/didn't give my children formula. I would contact milkshare.com. If that didn't work I would contact LLL. LLL Leaders aren't supposed to help mothers get milk. However some do it on their own (not as a Leader) if they feel the baby needs milk.  

I had to be hospitalized with pneumonia and septicemia when my baby was a month old. I could have him at the hospital and nurse him during the day and a friend nursed him and kept him at night. She had a baby about his age. That was the only emergency I had with my 3 children that could have involved formula. 

Formula tastes nasty and some breastfed babies won't eat it just like he wouldn't eat your milk. I understand you could be in a very difficult situation and you have to go for work, because your husband wants you to, to take an exam, for a cruise, or other important reason. Right now it may seem like you have to go but consider if you really have to go or if  you can put it off until your baby is older.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page