Nighttime Feedings and Engorgement!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm block feeding.during the day, and trying to figure out how to work this at, night. DS sleeps in 2 1/2 - 3 hour intervals at night, and though I always plan to give him one breast per feeding, I am so engorged by the time he does wake up that I end up giving him both breasts which results in a foremikk/hindmilk imbalance and a gassy fussy unhappy baby. Any ideas of how to do this better? Do I really have to just let the resting breast continue to rest?

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's normal to have the most milk first thing in the morning. I always wondered why farmers got up so early to milk their cows around dawn. I thought I would have cows that slept late and go out and milk them at 10 am. It turns out the cows have the most milk first thing in the morning. Humans do too.

There are some of us that seem to be blessed with enough milk to feed two children no matter how we try to get our supply to decrease. What I would do is have a flannel blanket nearby. When the baby would nurse the first breast I would let the milk flow from the other breast into the blanket. If the breast was engorged I would massage a little to help get that foremilk out of there so he would get hindmilk. That should do the trick.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

User Tag List