frustration breastfeeding month old twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-25-2011, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi moms, i have 4 week old twins (born at 35 weeks) and am so frustrated with our feeding so far. they are super gassy/colicky and will nurse forever at a time and then again about 2-2.5 hrs later. with lots of grunts, poots, tummy gurgles, and lots of crying. they seem to have a hard time getting a good latch and are gulpers. they seem to sleep better/longer when given a bottle of my ebm.

add to that i am exhausted and only getting about 2 hrs of sleep a day which i know doesn't help anyone.

any advice? i really hate pumping and the lure of nasty formula is growing...i breastfed my daughter until she was three and it was an amazing relationship, but these boys are trying my determination and wearing me out.

thanks

kelly

I'm Kelly, Mom to Merryn 7/28/08 and twins Luke & Thad born 9/26/2011
Can It Get Any Better Than This? Well, I guess it just did!joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 AM

Lots of {{{HUGS}}}!! I am so sorry you are struggling with your twins. I am too, and I don't know what to do about it either, except to vent.

#3 of 5 Old 10-26-2011, 02:07 PM

It sounds like you are overwhelmed. The first month or two is hard for mothers of premie twins. What would make things much easier is to get to the point where you are just breastfeeding, no bottles and no pumping. Babies often don't nurse well when they are given bottles. That can explain the problems with latch and during feedings.

It's normal to nurse every 2 - 2.5 hours. Breastfed infants need to nurse 8-12 times a day. Right now it would be ideal if you were staying in bed with them most of the time so you can get breastfeeding established and recover from the birth.

Formula doesn't make life easier. You have stinky babies and stolls. Your clothes and the babies clothes along with sheets, blankets, ect. get stained. Statistically the babies get sicker more often. Premies are more of a risk for RSV. Breastfeeding is protective and if babies do get RSV they are less often hospitalized. It would be awful if one or both of your twins had to be in the ICU with RSV because you stopped nursing.

Breastfeeding has lifelong health consequences for you and your children. When your children are adults what would you say if they asked why you didn't breastfeed them. I hope I am motivating you. It's hard now but it will get easier. Try meditating for even 5-10 minutes a day, it can help when you are around crying babies. You could call La Leche League and they should have a list of Leaders that have breastfed twins. I hope things get better for you soon.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#4 of 5 Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 PM

Congrats on your twins!  I wish it wasn't hard for you right now.  Unfortunately, I agree, bottles are not going to help at this point.  My guess is that the bottles have a faster flow, so switching between the plastic nipple and your nipples is not going to help.  The only other thing I can think to suggest is calling LLL or your MW/OB's office and seeing if they have someone who could come to you to make sure they are latching properly and that there isn't anything else going on (with the tongue or palate).

So sorry for the stress.  Big hugs for you.  hug2.gif

#5 of 5 Old 10-30-2011, 03:17 PM

I have 8 week old twins and they eat sometimes every hour so u r not alone in that regard.  It can be so exhausting to be nursing all day but it is so worth it!!  i wish my babes would go a little longer between feedings too ... maybe someone else will have a suggestion?

Wife to my loving husband, James.  Mother to a beautiful daughter, Jules (8/6/08).  Expecting twin girls September 19th, Jade and Jemma.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page