Upper Lip Tie? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-26-2011, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I tried googling for this, but  I couldn't find any answers.

Could an upper lip tie cause a clicking sound while nursing? It's either that or overactive let down. DS has been getting plenty of milk and is gaining weight properly, but  he's swallowing too much air and I was wondering if that might be the case. Swallowing all that air is making him really gassy, and I hate for him to be going through that.

I couldn't find any info about having a lactation consultant at the local hospital, but I might consider calling up with nurse practitioner in town... He needs a well baby visit soon, anyways. 

I tooked at the pictures, and his frenulum (i think that's the right word) connects where they do in the lip tie pictures, but doesn't look as thick as they do. 

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

#2 of 2 Old 10-26-2011, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is the best link I have found on the subject so far. Ds had a lip tie but I didn't know what the trouble was until he was much older. Dd does as well but it's not as uncomfortable for me as it was with ds - probably because I'm more aware of being very vigilant with latch. Ds in particular had a fair bit of clicking when he was little. With both I have found using a football hold makes for the best latch but I'm also very large breasted.

The real tough part is finding someone who might be able to clip it. Our local health nurse spent a fair bit of time researching it for me, even calling Dr. Neuman on the subject. There is no one in our community that will do it & apparently it is trickier to do than a tongue tie 'cause there is more room for error. She is sending me a referral form for the closest children's hospital & I need to get it completed by my family doctor. IF we decide to do it we are looking at at least a couple month's before we can get in.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page