Medela Pump In Style Advanced - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-28-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello mamas!  I need some information quickly...

The Medela PISA....good?  Any reviews on it?  

What would you think about buying it from someone who only used it one time and it didn't work for her?  The lady that has it for sale said that she only used it one time and her milk supply just really didn't come in so it hasn't really even been "used".  It runs for $300 right now and she is willing to sell it to me for $100...only because I told her I would need to buy new tubing and shields because she has opened the package.

Also, it's not hands-free, but if you use the Medela Bustier will it work the same as hands free?

Thanks for the input!  

Wife to the most amazing man and the funniest little girl born Sept 2007-- belly.gifIt's a boy! January 2012

#2 of 5 Old 10-28-2011, 11:29 AM

Check out our reviews!

http://www.mothering.com/community/products/medela-pump-in-style-advanced-breast-pump-with-shoulder-bag

Technically it's not a closed system, so it could be contaminated. But to be honest, I think it's probably fine, especially if you get new tubing. If you plan on using it heavily or for a long time, I might just get new for the warranty.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 5 Old 11-03-2011, 08:30 PM

I haven't used the bustiers but I have good success doing hands-free with hair ties. http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/hands-free-pumping.html

I opted against buying a used PISA just because of potential cross-contamination issues, though I know the risk is low, but I also had the $ to spend on a new pump without it being an issue. Everyone has to find their own comfort level, I think. I bought an Ameda Purely Yours and haven't used the PISA so I can't comment further.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#4 of 5 Old 11-04-2011, 08:08 AM

I used this machine for 9 months of pumping, with the bustier. I could sit at my desk & work completely hands free. Honestly, if she has just used it once, I would have no hesitation in buying it used--I think you are getting a total bargain. You can probably sterilize the hard plastic parts in boiling water, so you might only need to buy new membranes and tubes. (If they melt, I was wrong. :) ).

#5 of 5 Old 11-05-2011, 03:58 AM

I know you're not supposed to do this but I used my PIS sporadically with my DD and then often for about 2 mos when I went back to work when she was 10 mos.  I gave it to my BF and she used it for twins for 10 mos.  Then I used it again for DD2 for 5 months before it gave out.  Great product.  All of our kids are healthy!

GL!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page